買還是不買Trados?向各位請教
Thread poster: Lin Yang

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 4, 2005

幾個月前跟著PROZ GROUP BUY買過一次TRADOS。可運氣不好,我的電腦老是不能正常運行這個軟件,TRADOS的技術支持也沒解決問題,沒辦法,只好退了。

今天有個新的翻譯公司和我聯係,說會有3個一万字的項目,但需要TRADOS處理。大家覺得我值得爲了它再去買TRADOS嗎?我可以用另一部新買的電腦,而且我報的价足夠支付購買費用了。

我的顧慮是一、現在買,一兩個星期内能否熟練使用;二、象wenjer前輩說的那樣,由翻譯公司免費提供CAT的情況大家遇到的多嗎?如果反正以後要自己買的話,現在倒是個機會。

還有,一万字的項目至於要用CAT嗎?該不是那傢公司想通過用CAT讓我打折扣吧?

謝謝!

[Edited at 2005-09-04 18:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 08:39
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
About buying Trados Sep 4, 2005

A few thoughts:

1. To get this project, you will need to buy a new computer. Hence you have to decide if this is worth it. Do you really need a new computer just because of Trados? Have you exhausted all resources to fix the Trados installation problem on your existing computer?

2. Having Trados does not only help you in your actual translation work, it can also be a selling point. When clients see you work with professional tools, they will perceive you as a serious translator.

3. My partner, who is also a translator, works with SDLX and Trados, but I've never touched them before. I don't see the need to, so maybe in your case you might like to consider if you will use it for other projects besides this one you mentioned.

4. Offering Trados discounts can put you in a competitive position when bidding for jobs. Since Trados makes your job easier with repeat text, I think it is reasonable to offer clients discounts. Between a translator who offers Trados discounts and another who does not, the client would be more inclined to go with the former.

5. Trados is quite simple to use (my partner said so), so I believe you will not have much problems getting used to it quickly.

I know this can be a tough decision; it is not like buying milk and eggs from the supermarket. These are only some thoughts from me. Let's hear more from the others.

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, weiwei. Sep 4, 2005

weiwei wrote:

A few thoughts:

1. To get this project, you will need to buy a new computer. Hence you have to decide if this is worth it. Do you really need a new computer just because of Trados? Have you exhausted all resources to fix the Trados installation problem on your existing computer?

2. Having Trados does not only help you in your actual translation work, it can also be a selling point. When clients see you work with professional tools, they will perceive you as a serious translator.

3. My partner, who is also a translator, works with SDLX and Trados, but I've never touched them before. I don't see the need to, so maybe in your case you might like to consider if you will use it for other projects besides this one you mentioned.

4. Offering Trados discounts can put you in a competitive position when bidding for jobs. Since Trados makes your job easier with repeat text, I think it is reasonable to offer clients discounts. Between a translator who offers Trados discounts and another who does not, the client would be more inclined to go with the former.

5. Trados is quite simple to use (my partner said so), so I believe you will not have much problems getting used to it quickly.

I know this can be a tough decision; it is not like buying milk and eggs from the supermarket. These are only some thoughts from me. Let's hear more from the others.

Thank you, weiwei, for your systematic analysis.

Currently my opportunity cost will be the Trados liscense fee only since I already purchased a new laptop two months ago. But you got your point. I should make sure that the same problem won't happen again with the new computer. I hate to admit that I am not that computer savvy.

You are right. Using CAT will enhance our image as professional translators and offer us competitive edge in project biddings. Eventually I will get some CAT. I just wonder if it is the time now and Trados is the right choice. I read in this forum that SDLX was one of the most powerful tools. But ironically most job postings required Trados, at least for those I saw.

It is hard to say if I will get more projects with Trados. A colleague told me his work load did not increase at all after he bought it. I guess it depends.

Robert Fong  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ironically, the cracked Trados is more stable than the licensed Trados Sep 4, 2005

This is my experience. I have been using the licensed Trados 5.0 since 2001. But it was not stable. The software sometimes cannot identify the dongle and refuse to work. Then I got a cracked Trados 5.5 from my friend about two years ago, and it worked just fine! This is reasonable. Actually the cracked Trados only replaces ONE file for driver, which emulates the dongle functions. And the dongle is the cuprit for the instability!

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
买吧 Sep 4, 2005

CAT工具不是买不买的问题,而是买哪一种的问题。既然客户有这个要求,趁机买了用起来。即使将来的项目不要求你用,你自己也可以用,慢慢积累记忆库,以后做项目可以节省一些research时间。重复性利用只是此类工具的一个好处,更大的好处在于帮助你积累语料库。用起来后,你会慢慢明白这个道理。

你可以把自己的电脑系统与trados的系统要求对照一下,如果符合,应该没有问题。安装前,仔细看一下说明,照着顺序来就行。我跟你一样,也没多少电脑知识,不过trados之类的东西都是自己安装的,很容易。

使用上,一开始你会摸不着头脑。如果有需要,你可以通过我的proz.com profile给我发邮件,我给你寄一个入门说明书,那是我从一个讨论组里下载的,写得清晰易懂,适合初学者。再有不明白的,你可以在这里问,也可以私下给我发邮件。我用trados有三年了,不敢说精通,但常用的那几招,我还是会的。:)

Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
问题是什么? Sep 5, 2005

把您遇到的问题详细说清楚,应该可以解决。最好把screen shots贴出来。
  贴screen shots的方法
  1)在当前屏幕按“PrintScreenSysRq”键;
  2)点击程序\附件里的“画图”;
  3)按Ctrl+V,贴图;
  4)点“文件\保存”;
  5)选JPEG后按“确定”。
  然后再找一个像 http://www.yesalbum.com 之类图片寄存网站,把图上传到那里去。

另:有关Trados安装、使用等文件,可在这里下载:
http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=3

gladbeach wrote:

幾個月前跟著PROZ GROUP BUY買過一次TRADOS。可運氣不好,我的電腦老是不能正常運行這個軟件,TRADOS的技術支持也沒解決問題,沒辦法,只好退了。

今天有個新的翻譯公司和我聯係,說會有3個一万字的項目,但需要TRADOS處理。大家覺得我值得爲了它再去買TRADOS嗎?我可以用另一部新買的電腦,而且我報的价足夠支付購買費用了。

我的顧慮是一、現在買,一兩個星期内能否熟練使用;二、象wenjer前輩說的那樣,由翻譯公司免費提供CAT的情況大家遇到的多嗎?如果反正以後要自己買的話,現在倒是個機會。

還有,一万字的項目至於要用CAT嗎?該不是那傢公司想通過用CAT讓我打折扣吧?

謝謝!

[Edited at 2005-09-04 18:39]

[Edited at 2005-09-05 03:29]

Red & Black  Identity Verified
Spanish to Chinese
+ ...
我的看法 Sep 5, 2005

看來大家的意見,大體上都是說該買。前此我提到的 José Castro Roig 也認為,IT 技術是一列不等人的火車,趕快上車吧。Weiwei 和周丹的說法幾乎也是同樣的。

至於買哪一種?我認為 Trados 不如 SDLX;雖然後者看來貴許多,但後者可處理前者文件,尤其是 SDLX Professional 以上的版本包含許多功能,Trados 能做的 SDLX Professional 都能做。長遠考量,購買 SDLX 比較有利。

這是我個人的看法。東來也使用 SDLX Professional,也許他可以說說意見。

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Trados and SDLX Sep 5, 2005

When I saw how my partner works with SDLX and Trados, I thought SDLX looks much simpler. I'm not sure which is better. SDLX is compatible with Trados, so even if clients ask for Trados you should be able to still work with SDLX. I'm not sure...... Zhoudan and the rest will know more about this.

Try putting up your installation problems here. Someone will be able to help.

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
我的看法 Sep 5, 2005

Red & Black wrote:

看來大家的意見,大體上都是說該買。前此我提到的 José Castro Roig 也認為,IT 技術是一列不等人的火車,趕快上車吧。Weiwei 和周丹的說法幾乎也是同樣的。

至於買哪一種?我認為 Trados 不如 SDLX;雖然後者看來貴許多,但後者可處理前者文件,尤其是 SDLX Professional 以上的版本包含許多功能,Trados 能做的 SDLX Professional 都能做。長遠考量,購買 SDLX 比較有利。

以上這是我的看法,由於我正在 Red & Black 這裡工作,忘了先 logout 她的帳號,造成我以她的名義發言,抱歉了。

頂上 Weiwei 說的情況確實如此,Trados 的文件可以毫不費勁輸入 SDLX,做完後再次輸出為 Trados 文件。SDLX 的畫面簡單明瞭,比 Trados 容易學會使用,背後的功能也特別強勁,因此選擇 SDLX 絕對沒錯。並不是我在替 SDLX 做廣告,而是這個軟件確實好用。我自己原來訂購的 SDLX Professional 也取消了,因為我可以請有 SDLX Elite 的合作業者幫我把任何文件轉成 SDLX Lite 可處理的文件,所以我打算只到必要買 SDLX Elite 時才會訂購 Elite 版本,雖然很貴但也值得,因為那時我可以分派稿件給其他合作同仁,而他們不必買 SDLX,只需用我提供的 SDLX Lite 就可以工作了。

Donglai Lou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
再谈 SDLX vs. Trados Sep 5, 2005

Red & Black wrote:

Lin,
我曾经在“请教TRADOS使用体会(http://www.proz.com/topic/26198)”一贴中谈到过SDLX和Trados的比较。在此,我再简单地谈几点看法:

1、如果你希望成为一名全职译者,那么拥有和掌握一款CAT软件是十分必要的。它能让您充分利用以往的翻译资源,保持译文的一致性,保护原文的格式,节省大量时间,轻松处理很多DTP项目。如果项目量稳定的话(各类手册),CAT工具能够很快帮助你收回成本。

2、关于如何挑选CAT工具。这是一个仁者见仁,智者见智的问题。我当初的决定是根据Proz CAT评选的结果,并结合价格做出的。这个评选现在仍有,不妨参研一下。

3、两者相较,SDLX优势很明显。

Trados 成为业界标准的原因,并非因为其功能和稳定性胜出其它CAT一筹,而是该公司的广告策略得当。

对于译者而言,Trados有许多弱点,比如鼠标操作多,稳定性较差,翻译记忆文件内施用慢,concordance提取不便,中文输入法频繁切换。这些缺点在很多情况中不仅没能提高译者的效率,反而忙中添乱。

SDLX 恰恰解决了这些问题。但是SDLX主要的问题在于其界面非所见即所得,因此格式问题经常令许多初学者头痛。

Trados 尚存的优势在于:支持文件格式较多,Winalign 特有的文件结构匹配,翻译记忆文件外施用快,以及翻译记忆重复项控制。

4、SDLX可以方便地处理Trados格式文件。因此许多译者都用SDLX来代替Trados。但是这会带来两个问题: 一、客户问你要Trados的TM或dirty文件,你可能拿不出来(用SDLX直接生成Trados TM的问题,俺还没空仔细研究。如要dirty文件,你只需一个Trados的demo版即可解决)。二、Trados和SDLX并非100%兼容。

5、SDLX professional 版本是支持联机作业的,也就是说两位译者可以同时使用一个TM。而Trados freelance 不支持联机。

6、如果你的财力足够,结合使用SDLX和Trados能带来意想不到的强大功能。

俺真是啰嗦,又乱七八糟地写了一堆。总结一下,俺建议买SDLX。

jhmichael
Chinese to English
+ ...
呵呵 Sep 5, 2005

看来这两款都是很不错的软件,只是看得我眼都花了,不买哪款好。

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
unclean 文件也可以的 Sep 5, 2005

我不知道SDLX做Trados项目的流程怎样,但用Deja Vu的流程是:
1.用 Trados的空TM预翻,demo版本即可。
2.Import "Trados-look" file into DV, using a filter.
3. Translate in DV
4. Export from DV.这个结果是Trados unclean file。

我估计SDLX的流程也是这一套。如果说SDLX可以处理Trados文件,那就是说可以提供unclean file。

但实际上,不管说得多好,不同CAT工具还是不完全兼容的。我就曾经碰到过能够把Trados 文件倒入DV,却倒不出的问题!后来我把DV的TM导出,倒入Trados TM,再到Trados环境下做。如果这时我只有Trados demo版,那就完蛋了。举这个例子,是想说,用其他工具做trados项目可能有风险,不到最后关头总是提心吊胆。但如果只是Word文件,应该是没有问题的。

Donglai Lou wrote:

4、SDLX可以方便地处理Trados格式文件。因此许多译者都用SDLX来代替Trados。但是这会带来两个问题: 一、客户问你要Trados的TM或dirty文件,你可能拿不出来(用SDLX直接生成Trados TM的问题,俺还没空仔细研究。如要dirty文件,你只需一个Trados的demo版即可解决)。二、Trados和SDLX并非100%兼容。

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
賺錢的工具要來得乾淨 Sep 5, 2005

Donglai Lou wrote:

Red & Black wrote:

1、如果你希望成为一名全职译者,那么拥有和掌握一款CAT软件是十分必要的。...

2、关于如何挑选CAT工具。这是一个仁者见仁,智者见智的问题。...

3、两者相较,SDLX优势很明显。

Trados 成为业界标准的原因,并非因为其功能和稳定性胜出其它CAT一筹,而是该公司的广告策略得当。

对于译者而言,Trados有许多弱点,比如鼠标操作多,稳定性较差,翻译记忆文件内施用慢,concordance提取不便,中文输入法频繁切换。这些缺点在很多情况中不仅没能提高译者的效率,反而忙中添乱。

SDLX 恰恰解决了这些问题。但是SDLX主要的问题在于其界面非所见即所得,因此格式问题经常令许多初学者头痛。

Trados 尚存的优势在于:支持文件格式较多,Winalign 特有的文件结构匹配,翻译记忆文件外施用快,以及翻译记忆重复项控制。

5、SDLX professional 版本是支持联机作业的,也就是说两位译者可以同时使用一个TM。而Trados freelance 不支持联机。

6、如果你的财力足够,结合使用SDLX和Trados能带来意想不到的强大功能。

俺真是啰嗦,又乱七八糟地写了一堆。总结一下,俺建议买SDLX。

東來的使用經驗確實很可以參考。目前我所使用的 Trados 和 SDLX 都是合作業者提供的,將來可能買 SDLX Elite 好方便合作的譯者,但這要看合作網絡的發展狀況。是的,SDLX 不管哪個版本都嫌太貴,但如果客源穩定,而且文稿都是重複性高的使用手冊或技術手冊,採用 SDLX 回收投入的資本特別快--我個人最快速度一天做出一萬兩千到一萬五千字之間--如此回收成本不可謂不快,更不用說我目前的使用還是免費而暫時受到功能限制的;要是不受功能限制,Professional 版的成本應該在一個半月就回收了。

因此,我的建議是:到 SDL 的網站上取下 SDLX Bonus 試用一個月版,先熟悉一下使用方法並練習使用技巧,真的花錢買時就能得心應手,大量開拓客源,快速回收成本。As to cracked Trados, I don't think it's a good idea. Better ask some people, who have licensed Trados, for opportunities to do some practice into Trados. 賺錢的工具要來得乾淨--這是一位篤信佛教因果說的同仁給我的觀念。

Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry for off-topic post but this is for weiwei Sep 5, 2005

Hi Weiwei,
You coming back to spr? Am waiting for your kobi-o.
Shaun

Donglai Lou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
SDLX Bonus? 俺怎么没听说。 Sep 5, 2005

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

因此,我的建議是:到 SDL 的網站上取下 SDLX Bonus 試用一個月版,先熟悉一下使用方法並練習使用技巧,真的花錢買時就能得心應手,大量開拓客源,快速回收成本。As to cracked Trados, I don't think it's a good idea. Better ask some people, who have licensed Trados, for opportunities to do some practice into Trados. 賺錢的工具要來得乾淨--這是一位篤信佛教因果說的同仁給我的觀念。

Wenjer, 开个玩笑。SDLX Bonus 并非试用版,而是SDLX 2004 或SDLX 2003 的service pack版。SDLX为和Trados拼时间,每次都匆忙发布一个Bug很多的版本,然后再用半年时间忙忙修补,推出一个免费的过渡升级版。SDLX Bonus 就是如此产物。

SDLX就是当前最新的版本,并且毫无功能限制。

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

買還是不買Trados?向各位請教

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search