Hong Kong based agency and holiday season.
Thread poster: idemasi
idemasi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2005

Dear all,
one of my clients is an Hong Kong agency, to which I would like to wish at least "a happy new year". I am not familiar with Chinese (Hong Kong, in the specific) culture, I know that the Chinese calendar is different and the new year is in January (please, forgive my ignorance on this matter)and I do not know whether I should send them a message for the new year or I should wait till the Chinese New Year's Day. Could you give me some advice, and help me understand a bit of your festivity? I hope I have not offended anybody with my ignorance. Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Xiang
Local time: 08:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just for your information Dec 21, 2005

Nowadays, Christmas, New Year's Day and Chinese New Year (Jan. 29, 2006) are all celebrated in Chinese communities.

Mark

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
You may send two messages Dec 21, 2005

Hello idemasi,
On January 1 and January 29 (Chinese lunar calendar new year),respectively.
January 1 celebrated as a holiday in China, too. January 29 is more important than January 1 in China. But every lunar calendar new year day is different, such as lunar calendar new year day in 2007 is February 17, in 2008 is February 6.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2005-12-22 03:59]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Chinese New Year Dec 21, 2005

Hi,

you certainly won't be offending anybody in Hong Kong by sending a Christmas card.
The big Chinese holiday, however, is the Chinese New Year which is celebrated on the first day of the first month of the lunar calendar - it's usually at the end of January or at the beginning of February. This time it's January 29th (2006). The Chinese have two weeks of holidays then; they are visiting their families and eating a lot - just like we do at Christmas time.
Surely, they will be pleased about a New Year's card then, too.

Regards,
Jana
(not Benjamin this time)

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Dec 21, 2005

This time it's January 29th (2006), begin at that night,and exact begin time is 00:00 on that night. Many Chinese will go to sleep after midnight on that night. The next day our Chinese will visit our friends and families, lasting 15 days. But official work day begin on February 6, only lasting 8 days.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2005-12-23 09:27]

Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
Try these Dec 22, 2005

For Christmas, 聖誕快樂! 新年大吉!

For lunar new year, 恭喜發財!

idemasi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 23, 2005

Mark, Han Li, Jana and Angus Woo, thank you very much for shading lights on my doubts! Now, I even know to expect less work in the 2 weeks after Jan 29.
Happy New Year and Chinese New Year to us all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hong Kong based agency and holiday season.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search