Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Off topic: To celebrate Chinese New Year...
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 20:19
Chinese to English
Lin Zexu Feb 4, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Perhaps we need a Lin Zexu...也许我们需要个林则徐...

[Edited at 2006-01-28 23:46]

However, you are always more than welcome to learn from Mr. Lin and take this opportunity to understand how miserable it was when Mr. Lin and his people had to fight their drug war, which should sound pretty familiar to you.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-01-29 07:17]

This is all I know about the Opium War and Lin Zexu:

I have read and translated an article "林则徐虎门焚烟" in "祖国", and we studied it in Stage 1 Chinese History: from the Opium War to 1949 at the University of Auckland.

Did we cover it in Chinese history at school, I can't remember. But I remember modern Chinese history was part of the Year 12 history curriculum and we did study it for our exams.

I am not sure of the point of your remark 'which should sound pretty familiar to you.'...

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your messages in this Forum already made my point clear. Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

How about reading the articles and commenting objectively on their bias, that might be more constructive?

What you quoted are pretty much trashes from your local news source. They do not really reflect the western media as a whole. They certainly do not reflect the real life of the Chinese people. So, please do not flatter yourself, New Zealand is not really considered as the mainstream in my opinion. Learn to read more real news in the world. Actually, just by reading your messages in this Forum, I think they already made my point clear.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 02:00]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your behavior can be called as "hit-and-run". Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I have answered that question twice already, in that thread and in this thread on Feb 1. I deleted my comments because I felt my contribution looked too dominant. I considered that everything that was relevant was encapsulated in the responses of others.I don't believe that anything significant to the discussion was deleted. I am not going to use that facility in that way again...

Lesley,

Your behavior of deleting your problematic posts in ShenZhou 6 folder is called "hit-and-run". In the real life, it is a crime. Anyone who has the integrity and decency would stand behind what was written and posted. The good news is that many translators including me quoted your messages in our replies and got most of your messages partially saved in our posts. Would you like me to list out the words you used to describe China and the Chinese people?

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 02:15]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
This is a fair comment... Feb 4, 2006

Lu Zou wrote:

俗话说林子大了什么鸟都有,此话适用于中国人,也同样适用于其他种族的人。目睹NZ十余年来的变化,亦喜亦悲。

I have to say I haven't read everything in full in Chinese yet from Lu Zou, Stone and Wenjer. That will take time especially for the 繁体字 from Taiwan.

I agree, the crime headlines are a bit depressing and sordid for the new year holiday period. Well, those stories will appear only once...

I went to the local library just now and see that the ODT in Dunedin has been running a topic on the front pages this week 'Chinese garden project controversy'. The ODT is not part of Stuff, I am not sure why. I will try to post those articles.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
There were no problematic posts Feb 4, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley,

Your behavior of deleting your problematic posts in ShenZhou 6 folder is called "hit-and-run". In the real life, it is a crime. Anyone who has the integrity and decency would stand behind what was written and posted. The good news is that many translators including me quoted your messages in our replies and got most of your messages partially saved in our posts. Would you like me to list out the words you used to describe China and the Chinese people?

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 02:15]

There were no problematic posts. I have already explained I deleted those posts as a courtesy. You can believe that or not as you wish...

Are you sure this isn't prejudice?

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Who buys it? Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

There were no problematic posts. I have already explained I deleted those posts as a courtesy. You can believe that or not as you wish...

Who buys it? Prejudice in what way? What about honesty and holding for accountability?

[Edited at 2006-02-05 19:13]

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not Problematic? Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Lesley, I don't want to jump in since talking to you has been my most disgusting experience talking to an illogical person. However, my present project has been consistantly interrupted by your irrelevant posts and since this thread was started by me and in the hope to add some happiness to our NY celebrations and, to the contrary, hijacked by YOU and led to unhappiness and unharmony of this forum, I have to speak to you again:

No need to look back. Simply look at what you did these recent days and reflect upon the question: Why nobody showed any mercy on me? Why ALL Chinese colleagues (once friendly and warm toward me) suddenly are against me? Why can't I get even ONE alliance no matter be the person from CN, HK, TW, USA, even NZ etc if I'm logical and reasonable and objective in showing them they are drug-dealers, criminals and inferior race by the telling facts from my mother country's unBIASED media reports? Why can't I?

If you seriously reflect upon these questions, as Kevin once suggested I remember, facing the north wall, or facing any wall, hopefully you will see why.

Lesley, when you are free from any work, try to spend some time self-criticising. This will give you a better reason, a healthier physical presence and a heck of a lot of Chinese friends.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 03:23]

[Edited at 2006-02-04 03:24]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
'give other people the benefit of the doubt' Feb 4, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Why do you say that...we have a saying in English 'give other people the benefit of the doubt'

Lesley,

Does this mean that you doubted yourself about all the comments you made in that forum? (神六上天,国外尤其是海外华人反应如何?) http://www.proz.com/topic/37928?start=0

Thank you for asking. No, it is related to British concepts of fairness, tolerance and charitableness. That's part of our heritage here.

It means be slow to judge, don't think the worst of people - it is a principle for social relations.

as for 'jingoism' please be patient. I will answer that in another post. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the attention at the moment...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Perhaps you can turn it off... Feb 4, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:
Lesley, when you are free from any work, try to spend some time self-criticising. This will give you a better reason, a healthier physical presence and a heck of a lot of Chinese friends.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 03:23]

[Edited at 2006-02-04 03:24]

Thank you for your advice. 谢谢您的教诲.

Actually,I am quite choosy about my friends...

Anyhow, Jianjun, if the posts are really annoying, perhaps you can switch that function off. Perhaps Kevin can advise on that.

I'm not sure what your intention was in starting this thread. If you remember I followed your post with a nice article about the Chinese women's tennis victory in Australia. 哪儿知道Kevin会突然间开始讲 'bias in the Western media', ...

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
春天真的來了耶! Feb 4, 2006

春天的太陽暖暖的,
樓下窗外的草地長出嫩綠
--哇,春天真的來了耶!
你可以在空氣裡嗅到,
你可以在風裡聽到,
你可以在暖暖的太陽裡感覺到。
真舒暢!

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
呵呵 Feb 4, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

春天的太陽暖暖的,
樓下窗外的草地長出嫩綠
--哇,春天真的來了耶!
你可以在空氣裡嗅到,
你可以在風裡聽到,
你可以在暖暖的太陽裡感覺到。
真舒暢!

台湾那边春天来的真早,我们这里才刚刚真正冷起来。不过我从你的帖子中看到春天的希望,期待着春暖花开的季节。

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let me set the record straight. Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I'm not sure what your intention was in starting this thread. If you remember I followed your post with a nice article about the Chinese women's tennis victory in Australia. 哪儿知道Kevin会突然间开始讲 'bias in the Western media', ...

Lesley,

I am not sure if you have a short memory or you are simply a habitual liar. Please let me set the record straight. My third message in this thread was as following:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Thank you, Lesley, for sharing! I just heard it from the news this morning. What an enlightenment to the spirit for the Chinese New Year! I was wondering how the western world would be able to absorb this shocking news. I remembered in the last Olympic Games, when the Chinese female swimmer won a tough swimming competition and took the gold place, the American TV news reporter said, "The Chinese stole the gold." Another thing I heard was the suspect of the Chinese athletes using drugs. I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year.

Sorry, Jianjun, for posting this wrong topic here. Lesley should have opened a new room for this one.

So, if you want to study my words, be sure to study them within the context. When I said "I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year", I was reffering to the two kinds of reactions to the Chinese female swimmers.

By the way, you said above again (this is about the third time you were saying this in this folder) "哪儿知道Kevin会突然间开始讲 'bias in the Western media'". Do you see anywhere I used "bias in the Western media" as you quoted above? If you did not like what I said, do you mean you also agree that the Chinese female swimmer "stole" the gold and got something that was not supposed for her to have? Do you also believe that Chinese swimmer was using drug because she won the gold medal?

On Jan. 31, that was five days later after this thread of discussion started and went on, you posted in page 3 the following message and quote another line of mine from another thread that was discussed a couple months ago:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

[Thank you Kevin. I think you wrote this? '外国人对中国人不尊重和偏见,甚至鄙视,历来已久,是历史原因造成的。'...Your remarks towards me seem to be constantly running down Westerners by association - perhaps you see me as representative of what you most dislike. Or perhaps you see yourself as a hero, defending something.They also look more and more like personal attacks, even distortions and denigration, which is not a good look for a moderator IMO.There is also a certain amount of innuendo, which is a 'dirty tactic' where I come from.Would you like me to elaborate?]

By the way, in this quote you made "外国人对中国人不尊重和偏见,甚至鄙视,历来已久,是历史原因造成的," the 外国人 I meant was the people like you. Every word I wrote is perfectly precise in describing the people like you.

As for "hero" or not, that is not important to me. I'd rather be Wu Song, who had to kill a tiger that ate his mother. As for what I am defending, what a sutpid question is that? Isn't that obvious? I am denfending the diginity of the Chinese people, and teach the individual who does not know how to respect the people understand that it is a misrable route to take if she demonizes the Chinese people.

It looks like you took the two quotes out of the contexts, and mixed them together, and developed your own topic as "bias in the Western media", and trying so hard to make a point. Do you ever realize that your interpretation is not exactly what I said in the first place, nor what we are discussing here. What a dishonest clown! By re-reading my words you quoted, even though without context, they are still so brilliant that you should put them on you wall at home or make a screen saver in your computer.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-05 19:19]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
四季皆美 Feb 4, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

台湾那边春天来的真早,我们这里才刚刚真正冷起来。不过我从你的帖子中看到春天的希望,期待着春暖花开的季节。

前些日子和老婆和孩子們通電話,孩子們說:糟糕,阿爸最近的照片看來老了,頭髮全白了。我說:哈,媽媽在我年輕時老說她巴著看我哪天頭髮全都銀白呢;她就希望我老些,脫去些毛躁魯莽。對老婆我則說:我們年紀都大了,不覺齒危髮禿,但每個年齡的日子都很美。

同樣地,四季皆美;我也喜歡冬天呢。這冬天過得不錯,吃了不少火鍋,尤其工作之餘,在朋友家伴著火鍋促膝常談,那滋味真美。

P.S. 最近在印尼的穆斯林有一個抗議行動,不知道你注意到了沒有?聯合國秘書長安南本身也是穆斯林,不過他今天的談話很有意思,你注意一下外電,一定有報導的。

[Edited at 2006-02-04 10:18]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is NOT oversensitivity, but LACK of sensitivity. Feb 4, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

The most important thing about the shaking hands was two people to approach each other smile and greet each other warmly. Gloves or no gloves, who cares! Most Westerners possibly aren't very used to wearing gloves these days. What a bizarre incident. It shows a certain oversensitivity. You see the same thing with Aziz in 'Passage to India'.

No, it does not show "a certain oversensitivity." It shows LACK of sensitivity and cultural respect. Such rotten remark can only come out of the rude individuals like you. This explains to me why you were treated poorly when you were in China. This "bizarre incident", as you called it, took place in China, not in you backyard, and the Chinese people do care about such rude behavior. If you visit China, don't you suppose to learn the dos and don'ts before the trip? Or "who cares!" as you would put it? Is ignorant and lack of cultural sensitivity the appropriate descriptions about you and that foreign teacher?

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Here is one for you from my own experience. Almost all foreign students I knew in Beijing were approached by locals who wanted to 'use them' to buy things for them at the Friendship Store or in Hong Kong. We tried to understand...but, it seems opportunistic?

What a strange interpretation! It shows how bitter you are. I am sure "almost all foreign students" in Beijing also got help or assistance one way or another from the local Chinese people. What makes a friend? Helping each other plays a big role. Did it also happen to you, too? Or this is just a hearsay? if such memory still bothers you so much and makes you feel like being used, then just understand it as you were the public restroom or out-house and happened to be located at the right place and right time when other people's nature calls. What you said must be something happened 20-30 years ago, if you go to China now, I bet no one would pay any attention to you.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 05:46]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
I envy your energy. Feb 4, 2006

Hi Kevin,

You must be 20 years younger than I. I envy such energy you still bring up. Would you consider cooperation with me? How about take some workload from me? I am almost crushed by the ongoing projects.

When will you visit Taiwan? Just come over to us. I will bring you to see some beautiful places and visit some interesting persons. There are a lot of businesses between Taiwan and China. Even for the Mongolian Republic there are a lot to do. Some people from Mongo
... See more
Hi Kevin,

You must be 20 years younger than I. I envy such energy you still bring up. Would you consider cooperation with me? How about take some workload from me? I am almost crushed by the ongoing projects.

When will you visit Taiwan? Just come over to us. I will bring you to see some beautiful places and visit some interesting persons. There are a lot of businesses between Taiwan and China. Even for the Mongolian Republic there are a lot to do. Some people from Mongolia were introduced to Taiwan for health care recently. You meet people from all over the Asian countries in Taiwan. Some Westerners, too. Almost all of them are nice, comfortable and open-minded. Beautiful that way.

Have a good night!

Wenjer
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To celebrate Chinese New Year...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »