Thread poster: RaffaellaG

RaffaellaG  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:13
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2006

Hallo,
I wonder how to use some punctuation marks in Chinese.

For instance, in a list like the following, in a Technical Manual where xxxxxxx is a short sentence (up to 10 Chinese characters) and the orignal western language reads
- xxxxxxx ;
- xxxxxxx ;
- xxxxxxx .
is the use of semicolon the same as in a Western language?
It seems to me that sometimes in Chinese nothing is added at the end, sometims the semicolon, and sometimes the full stop.

What do you use or prefer ?

Is there any Chinese writing Manual of Style to refer ?

Thanks
Raffaella

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
My way of solving the problem Feb 20, 2006

RaffaellaG wrote:

Hallo,
I wonder how to use some punctuation marks in Chinese.

For instance, in a list like the following, in a Technical Manual where xxxxxxx is a short sentence (up to 10 Chinese characters) and the orignal western language reads
- xxxxxxx ;
- xxxxxxx ;
- xxxxxxx .
is the use of semicolon the same as in a Western language?
It seems to me that sometimes in Chinese nothing is added at the end, sometims the semicolon, and sometimes the full stop.

What do you use or prefer ?

Is there any Chinese writing Manual of Style to refer ?

Thanks
Raffaella

For short descriptions, I would leave them unpuntuated in case they are bulleted items. For longer descriptions, I would take either Chinese semicolons for the items save the last one with a Chinese period.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what the conventions are for such cases, but my translation works are always accepted in the ways I described above.

Good luck!

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 16:13
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Check out this discussion Feb 20, 2006

I had the same question too!!! Check out this recent post: http://www.proz.com/topic/38555.

What I conclude from the discussion is that Chinese punctuation marks are basically for change of tone and emphasis. There are no so-called rules, though there are some guidelines available to help Chinese learners.

Denyce

adj600
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
here is the rule for punctuation marks Feb 20, 2006

Raffaella:

Short answer to your question is: yes, here it is:

http://www.chineseedu.hku.hk/cmi/LanguageKnowledge/StandardLang/article02/index.htm

As you may find, it is the rule for the use of punctuation marks, applicable only in mainland China and Hong Kong. Not quite sure if Taiwan has similar rules.

Pls refer to the section of '分号', and you'll find the same usage as you raised.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

punctuation marks in Chinese

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search