Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Another moving story from China...
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 24, 2006

Hello, Fellow Translators,

I just read another moving story from China. I first heard it from CCTV and now read it in Wenxuecity.com. I would like to share it with you:
http://news.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=news&MsgID=226593

I was deeply moved by Mr. Yong-kang Lu, a truly dedicated school teacher in a very poor countryside in China. Mr.
... See more
Hello, Fellow Translators,

I just read another moving story from China. I first heard it from CCTV and now read it in Wenxuecity.com. I would like to share it with you:
http://news.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=news&MsgID=226593

I was deeply moved by Mr. Yong-kang Lu, a truly dedicated school teacher in a very poor countryside in China. Mr. Lu can only “walk” with his knees due to his severe handicap condition. His home-made shoes are designed to cover each of his knees so that he can move forward on the bumpy roads. With very little earnings, he has served as a teacher for 36 years with enthusiasm to his job and commitment to the children. Recently, some nice people heard about his story and donated a pair of crutches, so he can “walk” on those muddy roads to and from the school. In his dictionary, there are no such words as complaint, hatred, ambition, jealousy, prejudice, luxury…He does not ask for much from life, and his goal has been very basic and simple, he just wants to see the children get educated and have a better life in future. I wish such story will get reported and receive the equal attention as other China-related stories.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-03-25 02:13]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 05:51
Chinese to English
Why? Mar 25, 2006

Why have you posted this here? Is it meant to be off-topic?

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good questions Mar 25, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Why have you posted this here? Is it meant to be off-topic?

It is for you to read. I hope you can find such nice news story in New Zealand, too.

It is China-related. Any translator who works with Chinese language should learn about China and the Chinese people, including the story like this one.

[Edited at 2006-03-25 02:07]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, it's a moving story! Mar 25, 2006

Kevin,

Thank you so much for sharing the 动人和发人深思的 story with us!

I am wondering if the Education Minister of China has read the story.

And, this is a good question from the author: “那些专事用教育捞钱的人睁大眼看看吧,你们脸红吗?!”

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
a very good example of Greatness Mar 25, 2006

Hi Kevin,

I like this story. Greatness doesn't come from nothing. It comes from human heart, the right attitude towards life. Mr. Lu Yongkang belongs to positively tuned people who make the world worth to live.

沒有比上比下的驕矜與哀怨,認真做好自己所能而於人於己有益的事,不枉來此人間一生。Mr. Lu is a very good example of Greatness.

Wenjer

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
打不开网页 郁闷! Mar 25, 2006

这个链接好像不好用了。。。

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional URLs for this news story Mar 25, 2006

stonejohn wrote:

这个链接好像不好用了。。。

Stonejohn,

Sorry to hear that you cannot access that website. The link works fine here. I found some websites in China talking about him:

http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2005-12-15/17128592429.shtml

http://www.gog.com.cn/jq/j0501/ca917447.htm

http://www.gog.com.cn/gzrb/g0404/ca697080.htm

http://www.1203.org/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=4906

Kevin

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The good values are still among the Chinese people Mar 25, 2006

Thank you, Yueyin and Wenjer! The nice people like this school teacher and the elder man who paddled tricycle all his life and donated his savings to the students who could not afford to pay school tuitions (Bin Li reported a couple months ago) showed us that the good values are held among the insignificant Chinese individuals in this ever-increasing commercialized society. These people deserve our attention and applauses.

Kevin

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
我几年前就在法国电视台看过关于他的报导 Mar 25, 2006

近几年国内也注意宣传这类动人事迹了,我在纪实频道也看了不少非常感人的报导,确实是件大好事。国内风气好转,才想回国看看。

云南贵州偏远地区,多年前就有法国人在那里扶贫教学,记得当年还被当局禁止过......

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Another Lei Feng story... Mar 25, 2006

Another Lei Feng story...

another people's hero?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
What do YOU think? Mar 26, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

another people's hero?

What do YOU think?

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
To Lesley Mar 26, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

another people's hero?

Lesley,

What's real and what's fictious can be proved nowadays. Lei Feng story was made up when China was closed. But China is not closed at all today. People know how to make sure what is real.

Even we Taiwanese know how to distinquish what really happen in China and what does not. If you can't, you need urgently to consult a doctor.

- Wenjer

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Not my taste Mar 26, 2006

1 Not my taste, too sentimental.
2 It looks like Party propaganda, another 'model worker' story, another saint to emulate. I suppose this is 'the Chinese way'? or part of 'the national religion'?
3 It is foreign to me, I don't think we have this in Western secular countries now? The old idols have crumbled? Maybe 100 years ago, religious books were like this in the West. Part of Christian moral teaching, to have stories about exemplary characters. Christianity, Buddhism, Confucianis
... See more
2 It looks like Party propaganda, another 'model worker' story, another saint to emulate. I suppose this is 'the Chinese way'? or part of 'the national religion'?
3 It is foreign to me, I don't think we have this in Western secular countries now? The old idols have crumbled? Maybe 100 years ago, religious books were like this in the West. Part of Christian moral teaching, to have stories about exemplary characters. Christianity, Buddhism, Confucianism, Marxism, they all have this? Islam, too. I have no idea.
4 Do we need this? Or is it just for simple people?
Collapse

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
Thank you! Mar 26, 2006

Got it! Thank you, Kevin.

...here comes the good news: "14次手术之后他终于站起来了,2005年陆永康终于能站起来了,之后他做的第一件事就是重返讲台,今天的陆老师已经可以站在讲台上给学生们上课了。"

A good deed is never lost.

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do not bring the political stuff into it, even though it is your forte. Mar 26, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

3 It is foreign to me, I don't think we have this in Western secular countries now? The old idols have crumbled? Maybe 100 years ago, religious books were like this in the West. Part of Christian moral teaching, to have stories about exemplary characters. Christianity, Buddhism, Confucianism, Marxism, they all have this? Islam, too. I have no idea.
4 Do we need this? Or is it just for simple people?

Lesley,

1. Tough woman does not cry? Are you a wood carving? Why are you so afraid of it?
2. It was initially reported by a few reporters. According to my knowledge and experience, there are no tell-tale signs that the Chinese government is behind it. Your knowledge about the "Party propaganda" needs to be updated. Or read more before jumping into a conclusion. "The national religion”? Creative and funny, especially it is from a good Christian like you.
3. It is foreign to you? You are foreign to them, too.
4. “Do we need this?” Yes. But, quit using “we”. Remember, you only represent yourself. "Or is it just for simple people". Simple is beautiful. Are you hinting that you are more sophisticated and complex? I have trouble to see that. Perhaps complicated? I am not sure.

Please read this story and learn about this Chinese teacher’s dedication and willpower. Do not bring the political stuff into it, even though it is your forte.

Here is another Chinese reader’s comment, hope it can help you to understand it:

http://www.bgtv.com.cn/bgrw/ppyg/t20050414_6849.htm

跪着教课与“千手观音” (05-04-11)

都说男儿膝下有黄金,陆永康老师的膝下没有黄金,有的是一层厚厚的老茧。靠这层老茧,他跪着给山村的孩子们讲课讲了整整36年。

难道我们的山村没有身体健全的老师吗?至少在这个小山村里没有,从1968年村里最后一位老师因吃不了苦离村而去,村里30多个孩子的学习就没了着落。最终这教课的事竟然落在了双腿残疾只能跪着移动身体的陆永康身上。36年来,他跪着讲课、跪着家访,他教出来的学生有的当上了局长、乡长,有的也成了教师。而他仍然拿着300元的月薪,续写着在这座山村学校里既平凡又不平凡的“跪”着教学的经历。

对陆永康来说,这种经历幸福而美好,毕竟这还算是份稳定的工作。但对所有老师们来说,陆永康的行为给他们酿了一杯苦涩的药酒,让他们反思一下在蜜罐里教书应该如何知福。对所有正在学校学习的孩子们来说,陆老师应该是他们心中最伟大的老师。对正在从事教育管理事业的官员们来说,干脆哭它一场,忏悔一场,好好琢磨一下我们如何为乡村的孩子们做点实实在在的事,而不是让乡村的老师们丢弃乡村也来包围城市,把本来就闭塞的乡村学校留给了这么一位残疾老师。

单单就事论事,陆老师的行为谈不上惊天动地,恐怕从他手下毕业的学生也没有一位能考上清华北大。但正是他就这么默默无闻地工作了36年,才使得全村一拨一拨新生出来的孩子有了获得知识的机会。当然,同样是残疾人,陆老师的知名度远远比不上春节晚会上的“千手观音”。如果说“千手观音”是残疾人的一次集体“造美”,她们的震撼力从人们的视觉传输到心灵,那么陆永康就是一次“牧师”般的个人“传道”。他的行为根本谈不上什么“震撼力”,甚至他的生活和工作也没有什么节奏,就那么周而复始地跪着上课、跪着家访、跪着卖菜。因此,在流行快餐式文化享受的今天,要让人们发现陆永康,难。让人们从苦涩和平凡中依然受到震撼,更难。但细心的人能够体会到平凡中的伟大。造型表演刺激我们的感官,而平凡中的故事却刺激了我们的心。特别是在那个山村的村民和孩子们心中,陆永康比“千手观音”更像观音。

[Edited at 2006-03-26 04:00]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another moving story from China...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »