Thread poster: Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 07:50
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
May 13, 2006

16:00 hr (+0100 GMT), Saturday, 13 May 2006. We had our very first online Chinese POWWOW on Yahoo Messenger. Many people showed up. Here is the attendance list:

With webcam and mic – Jianjun, Donglai, Shaun (+ Mrs Shaun) and Zhoudan
With mic only – Betty, Wenjer, Kevin, Gladbeach, NKWong, Denyce, icg and junhewitt
Text only – Anastasia, wherestip, pkchan, stonejohn and Last Hermit

We had 17 people in this POWWOW. That was a crowd! And a market place to
... See more
16:00 hr (+0100 GMT), Saturday, 13 May 2006. We had our very first online Chinese POWWOW on Yahoo Messenger. Many people showed up. Here is the attendance list:

With webcam and mic – Jianjun, Donglai, Shaun (+ Mrs Shaun) and Zhoudan
With mic only – Betty, Wenjer, Kevin, Gladbeach, NKWong, Denyce, icg and junhewitt
Text only – Anastasia, wherestip, pkchan, stonejohn and Last Hermit

We had 17 people in this POWWOW. That was a crowd! And a market place too! Haha. It was a lot of fun to see, talk and listen to one another. Betty wanted me to write a report on this, so I thought I will just bring up some funny and interesting things that came up during the 2.5 hours session.

First, our preeeeetty Zhoudan got all the guys drooling. Why? Because of her new chic hairstyle. Bobbed and dyed brown. Sexy! Wenjer was the first one who noticed that Zhoudan’s hair is brown. Wenjer, Wenjer… can’t keep your eyes off our Zhoudan, eh? Well, she is definitely one bubbly character. Giggling all the time… Sweet!

Poor Donglai sacrificed his sleep to attend this POWWOW. It was 2:00 a.m. his time when the session started. Guess he was trying to stay awake and keep his head up because you could only see half of his head most of the time. We should schedule the next online POWWOW during his daytime so we can take a good look at him. By the way, where was Tingting? Next time, you should get her on the camera too. Just like what Shaun did with his wife. A really lovely, bashful lady… She was sitting quietly at one side watching her husband. Shaun turned the camera on her. Bet she got a shock!

Talking about Shaun… If the guys were drooling over Zhoudan, the ladies must be going ga-ga over Shaun too. Well, Jianjun is definitely one of his admirers too. Here is what he said, “姚兄,你明明是个帅小伙嘛!” Hmm… Brokeback Mountain II is the story of Jianjun del Mar and Shaun Twist… Kidding. Both of them are blissfully married.

Wherestip was so sweet. He did not have a microphone, but he said he would go out to the store to get one if the session would last for another hour. It is a pity for wherestip this time, but I am sure we will have another POWWOW. Wherestip, get your microphone ready then. Stonejohn did not have a microphone either, and I think he also could not hear the conversation. Poor guy. Stonejohn, get your Yahoo Messenger fixed and we will let you hold a 10-minute speech in the next POWWOW!! Same with Anastasia. She should join us in the chat next time, so she can join hands with me in kicking Shaun’s cute b*tt. Why? Because he called Singaporeans stupid. Here is the proof: Shaun Yeo (13.05.2006 17:31:49): 新加坡人笨呀. Shaun, I forgive you…. since you are such a ladykiller.

One huge surprise was Kevin joining us. I thought he would not make it because it was too early his time. He said he had to set two alarm clocks to get himself out of bed (Libin, remember this trick next time!) Kevin had a webcam but he said he did not want to scare us with his I-just-got-up look. Well, well… that could be really sexy too. We will let it pass this time, but you definitely have to use the webcam next time.

Okay, I am guilty of not having a webcam this time. I was the one who asked everybody to get one for this POWWOW, but I ended up with none. I did try fixing one this morning, but it refused to work. I guess it wanted me to spare all of you from losing your appetite for lunch and dinner…oh, and breakfast for the next day!

This POWWOW was not only just fun and laughter. We talked about serious stuff too. Wenjer raised the topic on the Chinese localisation of Proz, and Kevin gave us a report on the progress. He talked to Henry on this, and is right now compiling a name list to be submitted to Proz. I am sure all of us will hear more about this soon.

I wanted to reserve Betty for last because she was most active in this POWWOW. I was one of the last to leave the conference room, and she was still there, chatting away happily with icg. Icg was so quiet during the session, but I think she had a really good chat with Betty. Good to see that the two ladies bonded so well. Pkchan was there when the ladies were chatting. He thought he was interrupting a private conversation. Dear pk, ladies never have PRIVATE conversations. We just talk. And talk. And talk. And talk… The more the merrier. Join us next time. You can talk in Cantonese. Last Hermit, NKWong and a few others will understand you.

Let’s see. I still have not mentioned Gladbeach and junhewitt. Gladbeach got a new microphone but somehow it refused to work. She left pretty early because her two darlings had just got up and she needed to fix breakfast. Nice mummy. Junhewitt left us even earlier, at 20 minutes after the session started, because she could not hear and talk to us. A pity, but do join us again next time.

I think this basically sums up the entire 2.5 hours session (longer for Betty and icg…) It would be really nice if anyone of you could add in what I missed out. It has been an awesome POWWOW. I am definitely looking forward to the next session. Till then, folks…

Denyce

[Edited at 2006-05-13 21:13]
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very, very well written! Thanks, Denyce!!! May 13, 2006

I will put in my two cents about the last part of the powwow after listening to every attendee's interesting report

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank Weiwei for the good report. May 13, 2006

大家好!

Thank Weiwei for the good report. I just posted my message in her previous thread, now I see a new thread started here. I am copying and paste my related message to here.

今天我也参加了大家的Yahoo POWWOW!很有趣,这要特别感谢weiwei的提议,周丹、东来和建军的组织和大家的参与。有机会和平时通过文字交流的朋友们说上话了,把名字和声音联系在了一起,感觉很亲切!还从视频看
... See more
大家好!

Thank Weiwei for the good report. I just posted my message in her previous thread, now I see a new thread started here. I am copying and paste my related message to here.

今天我也参加了大家的Yahoo POWWOW!很有趣,这要特别感谢weiwei的提议,周丹、东来和建军的组织和大家的参与。有机会和平时通过文字交流的朋友们说上话了,把名字和声音联系在了一起,感觉很亲切!还从视频看到多位名角儿的芳容。以后又多了一个沟通的渠道和手段。有几位朋友始终没有把麦克风调试成功,没有能够和大家进行语音对话。

李斌,是的,你没到场,老孙,老傅也没有来,是这次会议的遗憾。我还为你打了圆场。我也靠使上了闹钟才赶上的,幸亏没有装视频摄像头,当时那睡眼惺忪的样子一定会惨不忍睹。没关系了,还有下次呢。

我发现,很久不当众说中文了,让我说的时候,居然需要努力“搜索”中文词汇,很可怕。平时在论坛发言,不需要动嘴,而雅虎的聊天室不用动手,只需动口,就有点感到嘴跟不上趟了。平时说中文的机会少,遇到这种场合,就发现不够“伶牙俐齿”了。

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-05-14 06:32]
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin 的蒙古名字 May 13, 2006

忘了和大家说 Kevin 有个蒙古名字。太长了,我没记得,但听起来很 cool...

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
A small detail: Betty is type A, and speaks very fast. May 13, 2006

At one point, Betty said "在座的可说都是又红又专吧"(verbal). I asked her if she was kidding. And the answer in writing was affirmative.

IC --
IC --
Local time: 01:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
好像是 “拉图“?? May 13, 2006

weiwei wrote:

IC --
IC --
Local time: 01:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Weiwei is a super woman... May 13, 2006

Oh my goodness!! You left at about 6pm and your report has been published at 7pm? Gosh!!

Just one small thing: NK didnot have Mic either... At least I didn't hear his voice!

And I was talking to Betty, while we were the last two, about a health website that I visited: www.wholehealthmd.com it is most complete referece I found so far in the issue of health. There you can find He
... See more
Oh my goodness!! You left at about 6pm and your report has been published at 7pm? Gosh!!

Just one small thing: NK didnot have Mic either... At least I didn't hear his voice!

And I was talking to Betty, while we were the last two, about a health website that I visited: www.wholehealthmd.com it is most complete referece I found so far in the issue of health. There you can find Healing cookings, drug interactions, supplements.... numerous resources!! I asked Betty to transfer this website to you. Now share with everyone.

It was an interesting occasion!! Glad to "meet" you all!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is a long name. May 14, 2006

icg wrote:

weiwei wrote:

Hello, Weiwei and icg,

Thank you for asking. It is Jolegbaatu, which in Chinese would be 昭日格巴图. I have not seen a soul from that sleepying region for ages. I hope I will be able to visit there in the near future.

Kevin

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
My two cents May 14, 2006

1. Thank Weiwei for her wonderful report with so much fun.
If I was asked to write a report, it would be plain and dull (just like this one).

2. Thank all participants for your active involvement. Your passions were beyong my imagination.

Last Hermit gave me the biggest surprise. he never promised he would show up. however, he was the last minute man and sent me his ID just one minute before we started the Powwow. and he really let me down because he didn't ope
... See more
1. Thank Weiwei for her wonderful report with so much fun.
If I was asked to write a report, it would be plain and dull (just like this one).

2. Thank all participants for your active involvement. Your passions were beyong my imagination.

Last Hermit gave me the biggest surprise. he never promised he would show up. however, he was the last minute man and sent me his ID just one minute before we started the Powwow. and he really let me down because he didn't open his MIC. I bet he has one. He is so successful in keeping his mystery.

3. Thank Jianjun for hitting me running.
Actually, it was Jianjun who proposed to realize this Powwow upon reading. I was just a member of his organization committee.

4. Thank Zhou Dan for your excellent technical support.
She is not only a beauty but a technical genius.

5. Yahoo messenger is really a good platform. everyone can use it to launch a Powwow for a specific topic or just for networking anytime, anywhere. Please make sure that you know how to use this tool (Otherwise, you may not be able to hear and talk.)

[Edited at 2006-05-14 01:41]
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
Wow, this sounds indeed fascinating May 14, 2006

JianJun sent me a message yesterday afternoon saying that the meeting would be held half hour later than originally scheduled and asked me if I coudl come. I only saw that message this morning. Hey JianJun, I am really sorry for that. Please don't be offended.

Weiwei gave such a vivid almost picturesque report, capturing the essence of everybody's your know what, which gives me a feeling as if I was there myself. Well done, weiwei. Looks like the saying is wrong, who said two's com
... See more
JianJun sent me a message yesterday afternoon saying that the meeting would be held half hour later than originally scheduled and asked me if I coudl come. I only saw that message this morning. Hey JianJun, I am really sorry for that. Please don't be offended.

Weiwei gave such a vivid almost picturesque report, capturing the essence of everybody's your know what, which gives me a feeling as if I was there myself. Well done, weiwei. Looks like the saying is wrong, who said two's company and three's a crowd? You have more than a dozen people there and it's still not crowd.

A friend of mine got married last night, the bridegroom. That's why I didn't show up here. Unlike weiwei's friends, it's a marriage between a man and woman. Sorry, what did you say? cliche? Oh, yea sure, it certainly doesn't stand out of the crowd. (I am kidding...)

What a lovely gathering you guy have there.
Collapse

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
回味中... May 14, 2006

谢谢weiwei的总结发言,谢谢本次聚会的组织者Zhoudan、Donglai、Jianjun:-)

那样聊天感觉很开心,以至于现在还在回味着,嘿嘿,虽然早晨起来赶稿子有点困...

要是有评奖的话,各位大哥大姐给我评一个“最郁闷奖”吧,提名理由weiwei的总结中已经有了:-(

从今立志研究雅虎通 hoho~~~

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congratulations! May 14, 2006

Congratulations to the successful conclusion of the first Online Chinese POWWOW! The sponsors and organizers of this POWWOW really did a superb job! I am sorry for not being able to participate as I have been really too busy lately that I don't even have time to shave my face!:) Maybe, the next time. Thank you!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
It was a pleasure to be with you in the Meeting. May 14, 2006

Thanks for joining the party! I have enjoyed all the time.

Special thanks to Weiwei, Donglai and Jianjun. They have made the Meeting possible.

The other participants were also active in presenting their ideas for construction of this productive community. I know that we made it to localize the pages of this community soon and to have more members joining us and contributing to the growth of the each of our community.

今天一直忙著弄好我的伺服器�
... See more
Thanks for joining the party! I have enjoyed all the time.

Special thanks to Weiwei, Donglai and Jianjun. They have made the Meeting possible.

The other participants were also active in presenting their ideas for construction of this productive community. I know that we made it to localize the pages of this community soon and to have more members joining us and contributing to the growth of the each of our community.

今天一直忙著弄好我的伺服器主機,所以到現在才上來。看到大家發表的感想和意見,非常欣慰。大家繼續努力,我們中文翻譯者在 ProZ.com 就會有很好的形象。

祝大家平安順利!
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
A bit of self-criticism :-) May 14, 2006

Thanks to the innovative proposal of Denyce (Weiwei), the excellent preparation work of Donglai, Jianjun, and Zhoudan, and the enthusiastic participation of everyone, yesterday’s powwow turned out to be far more successful than expected and will leave everyone with indelible memories.

Seventeen participants, from “as far as” US, Canada, Australia, China, Singapore, Germany, France, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, packed the chat room on a sunny, breezy Saturday morning (here
... See more
Thanks to the innovative proposal of Denyce (Weiwei), the excellent preparation work of Donglai, Jianjun, and Zhoudan, and the enthusiastic participation of everyone, yesterday’s powwow turned out to be far more successful than expected and will leave everyone with indelible memories.

Seventeen participants, from “as far as” US, Canada, Australia, China, Singapore, Germany, France, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, packed the chat room on a sunny, breezy Saturday morning (here in Canada). Many interesting topics (e.g. Chinese Localization) were brought forward for discussion and the desired outcomes were achieved.

My lengthy talk with icg, who helped me a lot with my French KudoZ questions, led to an extra hour added to the powwow. During our talk in Chinese (and English), we had an attentive listener, pkchan, from whose writing (in the chat room) we learned that he did not mean to “PK” Jackie Chan, for the “P” and “K” are simply his initials.:D After he silently left the chat room (to buy a Mother's Day gift for his wife in Chinatown?), our conversation was automatically switched to a French one. Icg's French is fabulous and I, as a "selfish" learner, benefited a lot from this “private” dialogue…

Obviously, without a microphone, Wherestip had to stay quiet (just like several other mysterious colleagues:) ) during the conference. Despite this, his observant eyes captured all my unpleasant personalities: “Betty is Type A, and speaks very fast…”:) Admittedly, all my Type A “symptoms” were thoroughly exposed: impatient, wordy, overactive, high-pitched …My apologies, folks! I promise to be more pleasing and ladylike next time…

By all accounts, this epoch-making online Chinese powwow was a huge success, resulting in excellent feedback, better networking, and greater expectations (Jianjun, Donglai, Zhoudan, Denyce, et al.: I totally agree with you that we shall hold these powwows on a more regular basis…) Special thanks to Wenjer too for inviting all our senior colleagues to join us. To our great delight, some of them (Wherestip, Kevin, etc.) did show up!

Also in attendance were Gladbeach, Shaun, NKWong, Anastasia, Stonejohn, Junhewitt, and Last Hermit (They are all amazing!). Thanks, folks, till next time...

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-14 21:16]
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Betty, I hope you're joking again... May 14, 2006

Chinoise wrote:

Obviously, without a microphone, Wherestip had to stay quiet (just like several other mysterious colleagues:) ) during the conference. Despite this, his observant eyes captured all my unpleasant personalities: “Betty is Type A, and speaks very fast…”:) Admittedly, all my Type A “symptoms” were thoroughly exposed: impatient, wordy, overactive, high-pitched …My apologies, folks! I promise to be more pleasing and ladylike next time…

Come on now, those few words were meant as a compliment! 热情开朗,精明能干 are good traits in any modern society, man or woman. (Hope I'm not laying it on too thick now.)

Kidding aside, I was just adding to weiwei's report on insight to some of the personalities there. I definitely like your straightforward style.

[Editat la 2006-05-15 12:08]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First Online Chinese POWWOW

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »