Giuseppe Randazzo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:48
French to Italian
+ ...
May 27, 2006

Hi everybody!!!
Nimen hao!!!
I need your help because a translation agency asked me to translate about 10000 chinese characters into Italian.
How do you usually rate? per chinese character? per target word? How long do you think it could take to me to finish this project?
Thank you very much for your help.
Giuseppe

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Salut Giuseppe, May 27, 2006

Tu devras pouvoir avoir une idée par recherche « Rates » dans le menu « Jobs ». Si c’est une agence chinoise, je doute qu’elle accepte le tarif normal.

Bonne chance !

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Either Way May 27, 2006

Giuseppe Randazzo wrote:

Hi everybody!!!
Nimen hao!!!
I need your help because a translation agency asked me to translate about 10000 chinese characters into Italian.
How do you usually rate? per chinese character? per target word? How long do you think it could take to me to finish this project?
Thank you very much for your help.
Giuseppe

Most European agencies count target language words. Most Chinese agencies count Chinese words. Actually, either way may do.

If you take Chinese characters, you need to devide it by 1.5or 2 to make European word count, depending on which language. German may be devided by 1.5, because a German word may have more than 40 letters.

In your specific case, I wouldn't ask for less than 600 EUR, because either you count with the half (devided by 2) or directly with Chinese characters it comes to 0.12 EUR per target word or 0.06 EUR per source character. That's the minimum.

The chance looks good for ZH>IT, anyway. For DE>ZH, I wouldn't take less than 0.08 EUR per source word, even 0.12 for special texts, marketing or communications. This rate is usually paid by European agencies who know how to do the business right and how to find the right translators. The point is, a right translator knows how to do QC and QA; he is not greedy to keep the most part of the costs for himself. That is the reason why I suggest that you accept the job only when the pay is no less than 0.12 per word or 0.06 per character.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-05-27 19:56]

Giuseppe Randazzo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:48
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! May 27, 2006

Thanks a lot for your answers...I agree with u... I usually ask more than the average because i'm confident about the service i can deliver...i asked around 800€ for the total project.

Thanks again for ur useful information

Giuseppe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Zh-It rates

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search