https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/52754-english_tutors_complain_of_chinese_abuse.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: English tutors complain of Chinese abuse
Thread poster: chance (X)
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 6, 2006

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060805/ap_on_re_as/china_schoolhouse_sweatshops

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 22:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
二十年風水輪流轉 Aug 6, 2006

或是二百年呢?

[Edited at 2006-08-06 11:28]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 00:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
In my experience.... Aug 6, 2006

I've taught in five different schools in the two years I've been in China and I've always been treated fairly and with the utmost respect.

The only reason for leaving each of them was to move to another city and then to translate full-time.

The last school I worked for left the door open for me to return should I ever want to and we parted on very good terms. Admittedly it was an exceptional private school for adults which makes all the difference.

I have n
... See more
I've taught in five different schools in the two years I've been in China and I've always been treated fairly and with the utmost respect.

The only reason for leaving each of them was to move to another city and then to translate full-time.

The last school I worked for left the door open for me to return should I ever want to and we parted on very good terms. Admittedly it was an exceptional private school for adults which makes all the difference.

I have never heard any bad stories from other foreign teachers that I've worked with in the past. In fact it's usually the other way around! Foreign teachers have a bad reputation in China for not abiding to signed contracts, having excessive demands and for just upping and leaving when the mood takes them without any regard to the Chinese teachers and more importantly the students.

I think foreigners come here with the attitude of easy work, good money and an equivalent western lifestyle...way too high expectations. This is still a developing country after all, although developing rapidly it is still classified 3rd world.

In my opinion if foreigners educated themselves about the country before they actually came here then alot of them probably wouldn't come because they'd realise it's not such an easy ride and if they still wanted to come then they would do their homework and make a better choice about what area to go to and what schools to apply for.

Everyone loves to read horror stories about how foreigners are treated in a country that's not their own but for every one of them there are countless opposing positive stories. The sad thing is that they're not the stories that make news!

Mark
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But now, we can read some positive stories as yours Aug 6, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

Everyone loves to read horror stories about how foreigners are treated in a country that's not their own but for every one of them there are countless opposing positive stories. The sad thing is that they're not the stories that make news!

Mark

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
仔细想了想,还是不能完全同意你的一部分观点 Aug 6, 2006

因为我们是文明人,在文明社会里的正常文明交往是正常现象,就和我们每天呼吸,喝水,吃饭一样正常,所以不再提问也是正常的。

这条消息的链接还是今天一个在中国的同你一样爱国的中国人发给我的,应该不吃惊吧?

Chinese Concept wrote:

Mark

Beth Dennison
Beth Dennison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
Positive experiences Aug 6, 2006

I taught English in China for four years (up to July 2000), and, like Mark, had really positive experiences. I taught at universities, language schools and companies, and was always paid well and treated with respect.

Some foreign teachers I knew did encounter problems. These were sometimes due to language schools exploiting them, but I think it is fair to say that most problems arose due to a lack of understanding. Most of the teachers encountering problems had no knowledge of
... See more
I taught English in China for four years (up to July 2000), and, like Mark, had really positive experiences. I taught at universities, language schools and companies, and was always paid well and treated with respect.

Some foreign teachers I knew did encounter problems. These were sometimes due to language schools exploiting them, but I think it is fair to say that most problems arose due to a lack of understanding. Most of the teachers encountering problems had no knowledge of either the Chinese language or culture.

Dodgy companies exist all over the world. I personally feel that when people go to live and work abroad, they sometimes leave their common sense at home and accept contracts/conditions that they never would in their home country. Then, when problems do arise, they have no way of dealing with them and no support network.

Beth

[Edited at 2006-08-06 20:03]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
我的印象中, Aug 6, 2006

这位Mark是英国人。

chance wrote:

这条消息的链接还是今天一个在中国的同你一样爱国的中国人发给我的,

Chinese Concept wrote:

Mark

[Edited at 2006-08-06 22:58]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
weiwei 哪里去了? Aug 7, 2006

不知weiwei在中国当英语老师时的经验是怎样的。;)

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mr. Chance(Sir, 为你正名) Aug 7, 2006

你链接的东西很多带负面的新闻,有些是广播,是海外电台聘请一些普通话说得字正腔圆、普通话一级甲等的华人,广播及传递一些对祖国不利的信息。

redred
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
雄雄合壁 Aug 7, 2006

chance wrote:

因为我们是文明人,在文明社会里的正常文明交往是正常现象,就和我们每天呼吸,喝水,吃饭一样正常,所以不再提问也是正常的。

这条消息的链接还是今天一个在中国的同你一样爱国的中国人发给我的,应该不吃惊吧?

是团队工作用的ID,挺好玩。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
想到一块去了 Aug 7, 2006

weiwei和steffi都在中国当过英语老师的

Yueyin Sun wrote:

不知weiwei在中国当英语老师时的经验是怎样的。;)

redred
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
外教, blond people Aug 7, 2006

发现一个趋势和现象,金发碧眼的外教似更能为学校徕来生源。

[Edited at 2006-08-07 05:18]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 00:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it that strange? Aug 7, 2006

redred wrote:
是团队工作用的ID,挺好玩。

Is it really that strange for men to be in business together? Particularly in this business, doesn't it make more sense to have a native English brain and a native Chinese brain working together?

There are plenty of excellent translators out there working on their own but the work they produce will never compare to that of two natives working together:)

That's why our business took off so rapidly and has been so successful in just a few months:)

Mark

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢你的指正 Aug 7, 2006

其实在于发言内容,不在乎他是哪国人,我虽然是中国人,但是深知我长住20年法国的优点和缺点,也知道中国的月亮不比外国的圆。

Zhoudan wrote:

这位Mark是英国人。

chance wrote:

这条消息的链接还是今天一个在中国的同你一样爱国的中国人发给我的,

[Edited at 2006-08-07 11:35]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我也经常贴正面的消息,大概你不读? Aug 7, 2006

我承认有时不完全同意我贴出的链接内容,也是想知道其他同僚的看法,所以贴出,这样才有探讨和了解的机会。

但是法广的许多内容是比较接近事实的,所以我才贴。我在国内有许多朋友,每个人的工作经历不同,观点也会不同,但是有些真正黑暗的东西是大家一致公认的,我还没贴呢。你那种所谓对祖国不利的看法,听起来有点上了年纪,不象你的照片。
... See more
我承认有时不完全同意我贴出的链接内容,也是想知道其他同僚的看法,所以贴出,这样才有探讨和了解的机会。

但是法广的许多内容是比较接近事实的,所以我才贴。我在国内有许多朋友,每个人的工作经历不同,观点也会不同,但是有些真正黑暗的东西是大家一致公认的,我还没贴呢。你那种所谓对祖国不利的看法,听起来有点上了年纪,不象你的照片。

我比较了解的是中国,法国和欧洲的情况,来这里常参加讨论的美国同僚不少,非常有幸也能和他们交流,所以话题经常在这三个国家(地区)。

redred wrote:

你链接的东西很多带负面的新闻,有些是广播,是海外电台聘请一些普通话说得字正腔圆、普通话一级甲等的华人,广播及传递一些对祖国不利的信息。

[Edited at 2006-08-07 08:58]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English tutors complain of Chinese abuse

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »