https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/54182-invite_a_joint_diagnosis_of_this_user_instruction_%E4%BC%9A%E8%AF%8A%E8%BF%99%E7%AF%87%E4%BD%BF%E7%94%A8%E8%AF%B4%E6%98%8E.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Invite a joint-diagnosis of this user instruction 会诊这篇使用说明
Thread poster: Hanyi Magnusson
Hanyi Magnusson
Hanyi Magnusson  Identity Verified
Bermuda
Local time: 13:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

A friend came to me with a '3 in 1 Car Kit For iPod & iPod Mini' user instruction printed on the back of the package since he knows I am a English Chinese translator. As a native English speaker, he said he finally realised how important a good translation meant in everyday's life...

I read through this small piece and felt heavy in my heart (although it actually was quite amusing). As professional translators, we should probably take more responsibilities at our hand whenever pos
... See more
A friend came to me with a '3 in 1 Car Kit For iPod & iPod Mini' user instruction printed on the back of the package since he knows I am a English Chinese translator. As a native English speaker, he said he finally realised how important a good translation meant in everyday's life...

I read through this small piece and felt heavy in my heart (although it actually was quite amusing). As professional translators, we should probably take more responsibilities at our hand whenever possible so such things will happen less frequent (The source text is unknown, the only clue I found is the 'made in China' mark, however, it does not mean the source text is in Chinese. This is the reason I posted this thread so that we can all give a diagnostic view. Mine is that it is a poor machine/on-line translation with no editing, and the source text was potentially in Chinese):

" Operation instructions
1. Insert some cigarette ends of ipod Auto Kit in some cigarette devices of automobile of yours, and adjust the suitable angle, so that your convenient operation I Pod.
2. Draw back both arms, put your I Pod into and equal to the urgent both arms, let your protection firmly of I Pod among them.
3. Will charge the plug and connect it on the base interface of ipod, in this way you can charge while listening to the music.
4. Choose the transmission frequency of this equipment according to the local frequency situation of radio station, the switch is presetted frequency to stir the frequency band, try one's best to avoid the frequency of the local strong radio station, then open wave band, FM of auto radio, of you, is it search platform or manual to search set let auto radio of you receive frequency that you preset automatically to choose, in this way you can listen to iPod stereo music of high-fidelity taken the place of to you through ipod Auto Kit device. "--(typed out as exact)

There were so many mistakes and errors in this small instruction piece and one just don't know where to start. The main thing is it does not make any sense--heart broken for me to see somebody did a translation job like this.
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hells! Aug 29, 2006

Yi Magnusson wrote:

" Operation instructions
1. Insert some cigarette ends of ipod Auto Kit in some cigarette devices of automobile of yours, and adjust the suitable angle, so that your convenient operation I Pod.
2. Draw back both arms, put your I Pod into and equal to the urgent both arms, let your protection firmly of I Pod among them.
3. Will charge the plug and connect it on the base interface of ipod, in this way you can charge while listening to the music.
4. Choose the transmission frequency of this equipment according to the local frequency situation of radio station, the switch is presetted frequency to stir the frequency band, try one's best to avoid the frequency of the local strong radio station, then open wave band, FM of auto radio, of you, is it search platform or manual to search set let auto radio of you receive frequency that you preset automatically to choose, in this way you can listen to iPod stereo music of high-fidelity taken the place of to you through ipod Auto Kit device. "--(typed out as exact)

No way to understand what these instructions should mean! I don't think it was translated by a native speaker or a Chinese translator who is capable of expressing himself in English. Or, the translator was paid at a rate of 0.10 RMB a word?

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Sounds like machine translation to me... Aug 29, 2006

What if we reverse it???

1. 插入一些ipod 自动成套工具的烟头在你的汽车里一些香烟设备, 和调整适当的角度, 以便您的方便操作 I Pod。

2. 画两条胳膊, 投入您的I Pod入并且均等对迫切两条胳膊, 牢固地让您的保护I Pod在他们之中。

3. 将充电插座和将解救它在ipod 基本的接口, 这样您能充电当倾听音乐的。

4. 选择这种设备传输频率根据电台的地方频率情况, 开关是presetted 频率搅动频带, 设法某人最佳避免地方强的电台的频率, 那么开放波浪带, 自动收音机FM, 您, 是它查寻平台或指南搜寻集合让自动收音机您接受您自动地预先设定选择的频率, 这样您能倾听iPod 立体声音乐高保真度被代替对您通过ipod 自动成套工具设备的。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:44
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Digital FM Transmitter and Auto Chager for iPod Aug 29, 2006

Operation Instruction Rewritten

1. Take out the cigarette lighter device of your car and insert the iPod Auto Charger into it. The end of the ipod charger to be inserted is similar to the cigarette lighter device. The wire attached to the charger is flexible and the angle is adjustable.

2. Insert the iPod into the other end of the chager. Adjust the two arms that hold the iPod in a secure position.

3. You can charge up your iPod and listen to the music at t
... See more
Operation Instruction Rewritten

1. Take out the cigarette lighter device of your car and insert the iPod Auto Charger into it. The end of the ipod charger to be inserted is similar to the cigarette lighter device. The wire attached to the charger is flexible and the angle is adjustable.

2. Insert the iPod into the other end of the chager. Adjust the two arms that hold the iPod in a secure position.

3. You can charge up your iPod and listen to the music at the same time.

4. Choose any frequency of the local FM radio station. Try to avoid those stations with strong signals.

I guess that what it means.

Chinese translation:

操作指示-

1。 拔出汽車點煙器,插入iPod充電杆,插入充電杆的一端形狀與點煙器相似。充電杆連接可屈曲,可調整角度。

2。 把iPod 插入充電杆另一端,要牢固地放在兩臂中。

3。既可充電同時可聽音樂。

4。選當地無線電FM台,避免選頻率太高的電台。

[Edited at 2006-08-29 20:04]
Collapse

Hanyi Magnusson
Hanyi Magnusson  Identity Verified
Bermuda
Local time: 13:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
这样确实更“生动” Aug 29, 2006

weiwei wrote:

What if we reverse it???

1. 插入一些ipod 自动成套工具的烟头在你的汽车里一些香烟设备, 和调整适当的角度, 以便您的方便操作 I Pod。

2. 画两条胳膊, 投入您的I Pod入并且均等对迫切两条胳膊, 牢固地让您的保护I Pod在他们之中。

3. 将充电插座和将解救它在ipod 基本的接口, 这样您能充电当倾听音乐的。

4. 选择这种设备传输频率根据电台的地方频率情况, 开关是presetted 频率搅动频带, 设法某人最佳避免地方强的电台的频率, 那么开放波浪带, 自动收音机FM, 您, 是它查寻平台或指南搜寻集合让自动收音机您接受您自动地预先设定选择的频率, 这样您能倾听iPod 立体声音乐高保真度被代替对您通过ipod 自动成套工具设备的。

多谢Weiwei,这样一来,头晕的感觉更确切--无法想象生产厂家的主旨。问题是:这样的‘劣质翻译’无形中影射了‘劣质产品’,再与'made in China' 直接相连,它在欧洲销售也就是等于在给中国做广告。我那位朋友也许只是就事论事当个笑话,但我很难想象他会take products made in China seriously. 从长远来看,这样的做法真的会后患无穷。

平日做翻译,尤其是翻入非母语,是小心再小心,翻完后再请母语者通读,就怕他们不懂。这份说明,是两头不着边,仿佛把我们这些辛苦劳作的人全不当一回事。认真想去,真的会有点伤心... 还是得向Weiwei学习,幽默一下。

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
破译达芬奇密码 :-) Aug 30, 2006

Yi Magnusson wrote:

" Operation instructions

使用说明

1、将 iPod Auto Kit 的电源插头插入您汽车上的点烟器,转至适当角度以便于操作您的 i pod。
2、将托座两侧的卡隼向后推,把你的 i pod 插入托座。注意使两侧卡隼将 i pod 均匀压紧以防松动。
3、当 i pod 底部的界面与托座接触时即开始充电。您可以在充电的同时听音乐。
4、将本装置的转播频率调至与您车上的音响设备的接受频率相同。要根据本地电台的频率状况选择适当的传输频率,尽量避免使用较强的本地电台频率,以减少干扰。打开您汽车音响设备的 FM 波段。利用预选功能设定接收 i pod 信号的频率。这样以后按下预选按钮就可自动跳到 i pod Auto Kit 的信号频率,您就可以通过您的汽车的高保真度的音响设备收听您的 i pod 中的音乐了。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Wow! Aug 30, 2006

Xiaoping Fu wrote:

使用说明

4、将本装置的转播频率调至与您车上的音响设备的接受频率相同。要根据本地电台的频率状况选择适当的传输频率,尽量避免使用较强的本地电台频率,以减少干扰。打开您汽车音响设备的 FM 波段。利用预选功能设定接收 i pod 信号的频率。这样以后按下预选按钮就可自动跳到 i pod Auto Kit 的信号频率,您就可以通过您的汽车的高保真度的音响设备收听您的 i pod 中的音乐了。

這個密碼解得好!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Great job Aug 30, 2006

Xiaoping Fu wrote:

使用说明

Great job deciphering, Xiaoping. The original English translation was bastardized beyond belief.

I guess the 3-in-1 features are: 1) ipod holder 2) ipod charger 3) listen to the ipod through one's car stereo speakers

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
And if you happened to know this is the product of a blood-and-sweat factory, so to speak... Aug 31, 2006

'Blood-and-sweat factory' (sweatshop) has become the cause célèbre these days, especially when FoxConn (富士康), one of those blood-and-sweat factories in the Great Qing, filed a case against a reporter (Note: NOT the newspaper) for his reporting of those sorts of harmonious exploitation.

Now, you feel better?

And the great Charles Dickens? RIP

[quote]Yi Magnusson wrote:

I read through this small piece and felt heavy in my heart (although it actually was quite amusing). As professional translators, we should probably take more responsibilities at our hand whenever possible so such things will happen less frequent (The source text is unknown, the only clue I found is the 'made in China' mark, however, it does not mean the source text is in Chinese. This is the reason I posted this thread so that we can all give a diagnostic view. Mine is that it is a poor machine/on-line translation with no editing, and the source text was potentially in Chinese):

" Operation instructions

There were so many mistakes and errors in this small instruction piece and one just don't know where to start. The main thing is it does not make any sense--heart broken for me to see somebody did a translation job like this.

[Edited at 2006-08-31 17:48]

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
隐士,实际上,你那里离资本主义只隔200米 Aug 31, 2006

珠海与澳门最短的一段水域距离,托自由行的洪福,我目测过两岸大约有200米距离。若干年前的逃港澳的秘密已公开解封,在那个大潮中,我仿佛看到了你凫水过河的身影,嘻嘻。在岸的那头,不存在你常念叨的大清前又大清后的问题。资本家剥削劳动人民的血汗工厂——台湾富士康,在深圳经常招工。

[Edited at 2006-08-31 03:37]

Xiaoping Fu
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
机器翻译的优点 Aug 31, 2006

wherestip wrote:

The original English translation was bastardized beyond belief.

wherestip 老兄别夸我,还是Weiwei 说的对。这篇英译文十有八九是机器翻译的。机器翻译的东西,虽然胡言乱语,原文的语素却不会丢失。尽管安错了地方释错了义,可都还在那儿呢。所以我才想到去破译。:-D

Xiaoping Fu
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
蓦回首 Aug 31, 2006

redred wrote:

珠海与澳门最短的一段水域距离,托自由行的洪福,我目测过两岸大约有200米距离。若干年前的逃港澳的秘密已公开解封,在那个大潮中,我仿佛看到了你凫水过河的身影,嘻嘻。在岸的那头,不存在你常念叨的大清前又大清后的问题。资本家剥削劳动人民的血汗工厂——台湾富士康,在深圳经常招工。

那人却在灯火阑珊处。

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
台资企业有点特别 Sep 5, 2006

外资企业几乎没有不加班加点的,对他们来说,似乎这是降低成本的唯一办法。台湾企业家给大陆人的感觉是普遍比较抠门,对员工相对刻薄,比如搞什么军事化管理之类的,也不知他们从哪个山旮旯里学来的这套把戏。也许他们当初在委员长的军队里混过一阵子,当初受够了上司的气。

redred wrote:

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 5, 2006

台湾、日本和韩国企业很刻薄。兼且,在大陆的台湾男人的一个特点是好色,很多在这儿包二奶。文化背景很大程度上是从日本处继承了他们的把戏,就是香港人开的工厂,和日本人打交道,背着日本人也称他们“Ka仔"(音)。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
呵呵 Sep 5, 2006

Shang wrote:

外资企业几乎没有不加班加点的,对他们来说,似乎这是降低成本的唯一办法。台湾企业家给大陆人的感觉是普遍比较抠门,对员工相对刻薄,比如搞什么军事化管理之类的,也不知他们从哪个山旮旯里学来的这套把戏。也许他们当初在委员长的军队里混过一阵子,当初受够了上司的气。

Hi Shang,

在中國的台資企業是否比較龜毛 (摳門),我倒不清楚。在翻譯這行業裡,到中國開設據點的台資企業倒是有點特別,幾乎全軍覆沒,不用做多久台資全部消耗殆盡,就變成中資了。台灣兩家最大的翻譯公司在上海和北京的命運就是如此。

目前在上海還有台灣去的翻譯業者在艱苦奮鬥之中。我的老東家就是其中的一家。他會不會採取軍事化管理,我看是不可能的,那老板 (我大學時代老同學的小弟) 自己已經很不 disciplined 了,要採取軍事化管理恐怕很有困難。

其它行業的情況我並不清楚,不過有些親戚在中國做事業,他們的觀察認為:在台灣本地世代土生土長的人到中國做事業,和那些第一代或第二代回中國做事業的態度很是不同。前者大體上比較低調,後者則很習慣頤指氣使。其實,這在台灣長期以來的政治氣氛下一向如此,這是出於征服者與被征服者在心態上的基本差異。台灣人比較木訥,委員長帶來的人比較囂張;這是一時無法改變的族群差異。

我自己今年十一月打算和兩家德國翻譯公司到中國考察設立據點的可能性,對於那些關於中國民性的傳說其實我一點也不覺得可怕,因為這兩年來與我往來的翻譯者和 PM 都表現得很正常,沒有任何逾越做人基本道理的情況發生。我也非常相信,他們不會覺得我摳苛。這和在台灣的第二代人士的感覺很是不同。台灣譯者,你給他兩倍於中國譯者的工資,他們還會以為你從他們身上賺了一生的財富呢!如果說那是生活水平的差異,我可是不相信的。台灣的物資豐裕,要什麼有什麼,但我自己苛儉地生活,從來也不會購買用不到的奢侈品,所以生活水平和在中國的平常人一般。

大家都是出生到這個世間謀存,每個人都有求生的權利,勞方和資方的關係不必一定是對立的,可以是互助合作的。前些日子與某中國譯者在線上談話,他說我手上一直發出去做的項目是在中國已經設廠的德國某某公司的稿件,事實上可以直接和那公司的主管級人物談生意。我的意見卻是:這是絕對不可以的事情,因為每個產業的市場有一定的規矩,我拿到的是第三手,發給中國譯者做的是第四手,在這樣的情況下,譯者得到的工資還是比一般中國境內翻譯公司報出去的價碼高,一則應該滿足,再則得罪了我的前兩手,不僅危害到他們的利益,也同時危害到我和其他翻譯者的利益,這對群體而言不是正確的做法。長遠的合作關係才是群體生存的根本,絕對不可起貪念,弄壞了群體生存的基礎。有一些歐洲中型的翻譯業者找我操作亞洲語文翻譯業務,最主要原因就是他們信任我對市場秩序的判斷,不會損害他們的利益,也不會讓翻譯者受到奴役。

翻譯者千萬要留意,不可以為我們拿到的信息是一手的信息,可以藉以說服最終客戶做起生意來,那絕對會被每一環的參與者視為背叛群體利益,人家即使不說出來,紙到底包不住火,最終客戶也很明白應該如何處置。自己的火候到達什麼程度,在業界自然會有鞏固的定位,該得到的酬勞不會少,無須起貪念去爭眼前的小利而壞了長遠的大計。這在所有的行業中都是一樣的。

至於 redred 說的台、日、韓企業的男人好色,其實全世界的男女都一樣好色,只是表現的方式不同而已。有的人的教養讓他們有禮有節,知道如何恰當處理男女之事;有的人則不顧忌文化差異,大剌剌地以自以為是的方式表現七情六欲。實在說,台灣男人或女人絕對不會比中國男人或女人好色,只是兩地男女交往的規矩 (manners of courting & mating) 不太一樣而已。西方人也差不多如此。在這方面千萬不要有偏見,自己守住規矩就對了。

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invite a joint-diagnosis of this user instruction 会诊这篇使用说明

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »