Taiwan
Local time: 06:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well, that's really funny! Jun 7, 2007

Zhoudan wrote:

我猜测,人家之所以仍然用了第二篇稿子,是因为有最后那句话。那篇稿子显然是做广告的,可能并不把翻译是否准确摆在第一位,而只追求广告效应。

Zhoudan,

Do you mean the last sentence, "The future begins today with intelligent solar technology from XY."? Well, that's really funny!

Can you imagine what an effect it could be, when that sentence were changed to "XY 的智能型太阳能技术,开创了历史的新纪元。"? Even when the sentence remains as the first draft, the effect is still better than the revision! Don't you think so?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
这种事情很多 Jun 7, 2007

最终客户如果有懂中文的,十有八九项目会很难做。往往他们并不具备翻译职业的素质,但因为他们是懂中文的,所以公司理所当然要让他们当reviewer。把稿子修改得面目全非,可能是为了表示自己很卖力吧。

现在呢,这种事情碰到多了,我都懒得争。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Exactly! Jun 7, 2007

That's right. If they want it in a wrong way, just let them be.

Zhoudan wrote:

最终客户如果有懂中文的,十有八九项目会很难做。往往他们并不具备翻译职业的素质,但因为他们是懂中文的,所以公司理所当然要让他们当reviewer。把稿子修改得面目全非,可能是为了表示自己很卖力吧。

现在呢,这种事情碰到多了,我都懒得争。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
又谈水平 Jun 7, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

在我的翻译生涯里,我一直想探讨一个问题:在什么情况下审稿应该动笔修改,在什么情况下则不应该。

这当然不是一两句探讨得清的.

我觉得具体情况具体对待. 譬如你举的这个例子来说, 英文原文十分简单. 基本的问题是怎样用通顺易懂的中文表达 作出电影配音, 这种情况自然要推敲一下如何措辞了.

Zhoudan 说得对, 翻译和改写是不同的. 翻译虽最忌按字面死翻, 但基本上还是应当忠实原文原意的. 改写则不然. 改写者可以自我发挥, 但一定要有文字修养而且懂行, 不能乱来. 象把 fossil fuel 改成石油燃料就很成问题. 而且不燃自烧造成危害 我认为 Yueyin 指出的每一点都很中肯.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
That was why I took the issue to the thread. Jun 7, 2007

wherestip wrote:

这当然不是一两句探讨得清的.

我觉得具体情况具体对待. 譬如你举的这个例子来说, 英文原文十分简单. 基本的问题是怎样用通顺易懂的中文表达 作出电影配音, 这种情况自然要推敲一下如何措辞了.

Zhoudan 说得对, 翻译和改写是不同的. 翻译虽最忌按字面死翻, 但基本上还是应当忠实原文原意的. 改写则不然. 改写者可以自我发挥, 但一定要有文字修养而且懂行, 不能乱来. 象把 fossil fuel 改成石油燃料就很成问题. 而且不燃自烧造成危害 我认为 Yueyin 指出的每一点都很中肯.

Yes, a voice over draft for advertising shall be kept fluent, simple and easy to understand. The key is to stick to the facts, not to make up anything fancy, unless the client is selling something en vogue which doesn't have a practical value.

To be honest, I was outraged to learn that after my evaluations the company still took the so-called revision and made the video in its accordance. I am pretty sure that it will bring consequences in their marketing.

[Edited at 2007-06-07 12:35]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
完结篇 Jun 8, 2007

说来有趣。昨夜收到中间的公关公司和翻译公司的来信,说明他们对于我评论两份稿件的立场:虽然他们不懂中文,但他们都同意我用德文和英文所做的分析,但该公司的决策人物采信他们的中国雇员,影片也按照指示完成配音,所以木已成舟,无可改变的事实,我们应得的预算已获批准,我的费用不会少给,但请忘记这件事,将来还是继续如前合作。

我的回应:我无妨,但请转达我对该公司的三个重点建议。那是用德文思考所写的三个广告纪录片编辑要点,在此暂不赘述。事情就此结束。

David Williams
David Williams
Germany
Local time: 00:17
German to English
Why pay for then ignore evaluations? Feb 5, 2009

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Zhoudan,

It is not a matter of pay. I am just wondering how could those decision makers pay so much money for evaluations and reject professional judgement afer all.

By the way, you know how expensive I am to be paid for such evaluation jobs.

- Wenjer

I expect that the decision makers pay so much money for evaluations and reject professional judgement afer all because they are legally (or morally) obliged to have such evaluations carried out, but do not wish (or intend) to act on the findings from the outset, it is merely a pro forma thing that they are required to do, like soliciting quotations for a job when they already know which contractor their preferred partner is.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

广告文展示台(Show Booth of Ad Translations)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »