Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
对国内的翻译市场简直是失望透了 (Disappointed with the translation market in mainland China)
Thread poster: miraclee
miraclee
miraclee
Local time: 07:28
English to Chinese
Mar 8, 2007

前几天应聘国内某翻译公司的大型长期项目,他们说要招资深译员,试译通过,我被选中了,结果只给50元/千汉字,我就郁闷了,即使初次合作也不必这样少吧,其实我很喜欢那个题材的翻译,只是很少碰到这方面的项目,决心拿下来,可最后谈价格时感觉简直是受到侮辱,原来50元的价格是资深翻译的入门价格。他们的口气很强硬“你不做我们就找别人了”,郁闷,我还不如花些时间学点东西呢。看来英语好的人多了去了。对国内的翻译市场简直是失望透了。

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-09 07:52]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
RMB80/1000 Mar 8, 2007

I thought the standard rate is RMB80 per 1,000 words. RMB50 is low. Maybe the agency thinks it can bring down the rate because this is a large-volume project.

Denyce

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
面对现实 Mar 8, 2007

miraclee wrote:

前几天应聘国内某翻译公司的大型长期项目,他们说要招资深译员,试译通过,我被选中了,结果只给50元/千汉字,我就郁闷了,即使初次合作也不必这样少吧,其实我很喜欢那个题材的翻译,只是很少碰到这方面的项目,决心拿下来,可最后谈价格时感觉简直是受到侮辱,原来50元的价格是资深翻译的入门价格。他们的口气很强硬“你不做我们就找别人了”,郁闷,我还不如花些时间学点东西呢。看来英语好的人多了去了。对国内的翻译市场简直是失望透了。

看来英语好的人多了去了。
呵呵未必!英语好的人未必就是搞翻译的好料子,更谈不上是什么翻译能手。这几年下来,见识过不少所谓的英语很好的人,但你让他或她实际翻译一下,实在不敢恭维。也许,在英语不好的人看来,只要比自己稍稍厉害的人,就是英语很好的人了吧^_^据我所知,许多需要翻译的客户其实自己只是稍通外文,或者根本就不通外文,根本没有意识到翻译难在何处,所以开的价让真正从事翻译的人无法接受。
没错,正如Denyce所言,国内的翻译报价一般都在100元/千字左右,当然特殊行业或领域的报酬可能会翻一番,甚至更高,但这种现象比较少。
如果你想让自己的劳动有相应的回报,不妨转战国际市场。
祝好运!

[Edited at 2007-03-08 22:29]

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't be so sad. Mar 8, 2007

miraclee wrote:

There's no so-called standard Chinese rate. I never did any single job at a rate of 50 or 80 or 120 and so on.../1,000 words.

When I did the first translation work in 1992 for a Tsing Hua University professor, it was from Chinese to English and the rate was 30 RMB/100 words not 1,000 words.

And in 1992, 70 RMB/month/person was enough for anyone to live and save. Now, 1,000-1,500 RMB/month/person is hardly enough in many places. So I don't think at that poor rate, anyone can live (well?).

If you are talented, simply ignore those cheaters. My clients in China never give me "Standard Chinese rates". Because: -

First, they know me well for more than 10 years.
Second, my work justifies my rates.
Third, they, as any other company, can well afford to pay the rate.

What you should do is to market yourself to guys who are honest business people.

The so-called Chinese rates are simply enforced by a misunderstanding of the Chinese market. Fresh starters in the Chinese market are exploited and abused. Learn to refuse those unreasonable offers.

I wrote this in English so people who don't read Chinese can see what we are talking about and in some way clarify the mystery of Chinese rates. I have been trying hard to promote Chinese translators' image and dignity. The rumoured low rate is one of the things I want the world know that is not right.

Jian

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Speaking from personal experience Mar 8, 2007

I lived in China for two years. I got offers all the time from Chinese agencies who wanted to pay me RMB80 per 1,000 characters. My partner does English-German translation, and the rate these Shanghai and Beijing agencies offered was RMB120 per 1,000 words. Many of you here probably worked with Chinese agencies before and you know these are the rates. There is nothing wrong with having these rates. You get ***some*** mainland Chinese translators bidding for jobs on Proz at US$0.02 per word (agai... See more
I lived in China for two years. I got offers all the time from Chinese agencies who wanted to pay me RMB80 per 1,000 characters. My partner does English-German translation, and the rate these Shanghai and Beijing agencies offered was RMB120 per 1,000 words. Many of you here probably worked with Chinese agencies before and you know these are the rates. There is nothing wrong with having these rates. You get ***some*** mainland Chinese translators bidding for jobs on Proz at US$0.02 per word (again, I am speaking from personal experience because I posted EN-ZH jobs before). As much as I feel pressurised by such price competition (I guess they do this for ZH-EN job bids too), I think it is normal because the cost of living is just lower in China. Our colleagues in mainland China can afford to charge low rates because their cost of living is lower.

Well, I left China two years ago. Maybe the market has changed.

Denyce

[Edited at 2007-03-09 00:02]
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Working with Chinese agencies Mar 9, 2007

I want to add one more thing. Actually, there are clients in China who can afford to pay international rates. Two of my clients are from China, and they pay my usual rates. They even pay through Paypal.

Denyce

Fang
Fang
English to Chinese
+ ...
translation is dead, though translators alive Mar 9, 2007

The point is that translation is no longer treated as brainwork, so they find it natural to pay to measurable factors such as hour and word count. It's dismaying. And they knock down the standard rate, if there is, like what they are fond of doing on any physical work in China. China is a miserable market where economics can be above humanity. Well, except in government.

The line of quality is eliminated. The famous rule of correctness, clarity and grace is abolished. The replacem
... See more
The point is that translation is no longer treated as brainwork, so they find it natural to pay to measurable factors such as hour and word count. It's dismaying. And they knock down the standard rate, if there is, like what they are fond of doing on any physical work in China. China is a miserable market where economics can be above humanity. Well, except in government.

The line of quality is eliminated. The famous rule of correctness, clarity and grace is abolished. The replacement is efficiency plus correctness. It's the result of modernization of translation. People read much from many sources. Their tolerance becomes lower. They bear it as long as they don't meet too many mistakes.

Thanks to our education, which makes us look on the western world and act like a son who takes pride in using the languge of his father's, now almost all who normally receive higher education know some English. Every one can make a living by doing some translation. When everyone translates, there is no need for such a work called translation.
Collapse

miraclee
miraclee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢你们的回复 Mar 9, 2007

Jianjun Zhang 兄的费率我们在国内是很难达到的,感谢张兄的建议和努力,我们大家都希望翻译的地位能够提高,Denyce 感谢你的信息,近两年国内的工资水平上涨了,而翻译的价格却有所下降,尤其是新入行的人,简直连拿到项目的机会都没有,竞争激烈可见一斑。
我做翻译一直是跟外地的固定客户合作,收入还可以,但感觉很孤独,每天坐在电脑前,只通过网络跟PM打交道,长期这样生活感觉很压抑,我很希望进入一个团体,可以跟翻译公司的高级译审当面互相交流,做口译,等等。于是想就近选择翻译公司,并做一些自己喜欢的项目,可是他们给的这么低,正如张兄所说,我也感觉他们好像没有诚意,我倒还没有一口回绝,又去查询了其背景,没发现有什么不良记录。

国内的翻译公司70-100元/千汉字应该是个可接受的价格,我粗略估算相当于100-150元/千英文,我是按照1000英文平均翻出1500汉字计算的,这是我的粗略统计,不知是否科学。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
失望就离开它 Mar 9, 2007

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
不仅止于国内 Mar 9, 2007

在某个国外平台,以国际价格应征[email protected]的邮件,域名com.hk,或许是香港的公司,对方的回复如下。

“We are interested in cooperating with you. However, the rate you offer is much higher than our expecation. From English into Traditional Chinese, we can offer HK$0.2/source
word for your translation job From English into Simplifed Chinese, we can only offer RMB$0.08/source word.Pls let me know about your idea.”

国内
... See more
在某个国外平台,以国际价格应征[email protected]的邮件,域名com.hk,或许是香港的公司,对方的回复如下。

“We are interested in cooperating with you. However, the rate you offer is much higher than our expecation. From English into Traditional Chinese, we can offer HK$0.2/source
word for your translation job From English into Simplifed Chinese, we can only offer RMB$0.08/source word.Pls let me know about your idea.”

国内价格也高过那个价。咱穿越太平洋找境外公司,不都是为了诱人的国际牌价吗?难道对MONEYBOOK、PP、TT及其他境外转帐情有独钟嘛。

人家却这样认为,国内有庞大的人力资源,多你一个不多,少你一个不少,价低者也众。
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 09:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nothing's changed yet Mar 9, 2007

Denyce wrote:
I thought the standard rate is RMB80 per 1,000 words. RMB50 is low. Maybe the agency thinks it can bring down the rate because this is a large-volume project.

Unfortunately, I don’t think translation rates have changed at all since Denyce left China two years ago. RMB 80 per 1,000 words may not be the “standard” rate but it is certainly an “average” rate for mainland Chinese translators.

Lately, I have been reading some other Chinese translation forums and the accepted going rate is RMB 60-80/1,000 words (US$0.0075-0.01). RMB 120 (US$0.015) is considered very good and once, when a translator announced his rate was RMB 180-200 (US$0.0225-0.025), everyone in the forum couldn’t believe it and was amazed that such a rate was possible!

We only have two clients on the mainland who pay us western rates and they only come to us when they really need that Chinese to “native” English quality. For English to Chinese translation they stick with local Chinese translators who charge at the low end of the scale. Maybe it’s different in our case because we work as a native Chinese and native English team so we are in an ideal position to command western rates within China. However, there are some truly excellent sole, native Chinese translators on the mainland who do produce excellent work and I think it just comes down to awareness and the fact that they just don’t realize what the average “global” market rate is.

This is an online global profession where geography and the economic situation of a country are irrelevant. Should you charge low rates because you live in a country with a low economy? No. Should a translator living in a tiny village in the countryside charge lower rates than a translator living in Beijing? No. Translation is hard work and good translators should command and receive the same rates as everyone else in the same profession. Some people argue will argue that the same rule should then apply to doctors, nurses, teachers etc., but of course that’s different, unless of course you’re an online doctor, nurse or teacher.
Jianjun wrote:
I wrote this in English so people who don't read Chinese can see what we are talking about and in some way clarify the mystery of Chinese rates. I have been trying hard to promote Chinese translators' image and dignity. The rumoured low rate is one of the things I want the world know that is not right.

I think it’s a good idea that this thread is written in English for other members of the community to understand what it’s about and to get an idea about Chinese rates in China. I would suggest that the title of the thread is translated and the thread be moved to “Money Matters” in the general forums so that it will be accessible and read by more of the community. I think a lot of English speakers don’t look at the Chinese forums and if they see the title written in Chinese they will assume the whole thread is in Chinese.

Best wishes,
Mark

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
那就去欧洲或来美国吧! Mar 9, 2007

Zhoudan wrote:
失望就离开它

那就去欧洲或来美国吧!但等我对欧美市场也失望时,我去哪里?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
If you guys all charged the same rates as ours, we would be very happy! Mar 9, 2007

Chinese Concept wrote:

This is an online global profession where geography and the economic situation of a country are irrelevant. Should you charge low rates because you live in a country with a low economy? No. Should a translator living in a tiny village in the countryside charge lower rates than a translator living in Beijing? No. Translation is hard work and good translators should command and receive the same rates as everyone else in the same profession.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Low Rates in China? Mar 9, 2007

Hi Mark,

You might not believe how hard I have been promoting Chinese translators. I never paid any translator less than 0.04 USD and that usually only for the first contact. If the translator qualifies himself, the rate goes up promptly over 0.06 USD.

To my clients, I always tell them that good translators shall not be treated badly. If they are to retain good translators, they have to think of having them properly paid for a better living to keep up the quality.
... See more
Hi Mark,

You might not believe how hard I have been promoting Chinese translators. I never paid any translator less than 0.04 USD and that usually only for the first contact. If the translator qualifies himself, the rate goes up promptly over 0.06 USD.

To my clients, I always tell them that good translators shall not be treated badly. If they are to retain good translators, they have to think of having them properly paid for a better living to keep up the quality.

However, as we know, the market demands different qualities. Some jobs can be done sloppily and paid sloppily. The market is big enough to accommodate all levels of quality. If a client asks for low rates, it serves him right to get low quality. For the ones who pay properly, they shall get corresponding quality.

In fact, I don't mind that some translators ask for 80 RMB per thousand words, because I don't bother to review, revise and edit their translations for better rates. They may stay where they are. But for the real good ones, I wouldn't let them stay where they are. Instead, I would show them the way to go up into global marekt and find their proper rates.

You see, it all depends on individual translators to pursue their own ways and their own rates. The reason why my clients pay me several times above the rumored low rates in China is that I won't deliver a quality for that rumored rates. I manage the quality and they manage me for better rates. The same applies to the translators I manage. They won't get low rates from me for a better quality.

The problem with some Chinese translators lies in their belief in offering low rates, say, less than 0.02 USD, for stepping into the global market and getting themselves established.

As I explained in "Looking into the Market" and some othe threads, there are a lot of ways to promote oneself. What a translator needs as prerequisite is a solid foundation of language skills. We can never expect a translator doing his jobs properly, if he doesn't express himself well enough even in his native language and who doesn't show the clients how he perform his jobs properly. As well, we can never expect a client willing to pay higher rates when the translator cannot convince him with language skills.

There are some translators who believe that they can go an easy way by offering low rates, such as 0.02 USD per source word. I wouldn't bother to manage such translators, even when their Chinese language skills are all right for some purposes. They will be occupied all the time, anyway.

As a German translator and enterpriser puts it: "Translation is not a commodity. Translators are usually not interchangeable. Translation is potentially scarce item. Neither the number of its producers nor their output can be increased at will." When there are in China supposedly half a million translators in shortage, why are the ones active in the market getting nervous and eager to accept low rates? I really don't see the reason why.

So, take it easy. Everyone finds his own way to maintain his position in the market. It all depends on his insight into the market and his confidence in his own skills.

- Wenjer
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
开拓阿拉伯市场 Mar 9, 2007

好像听谁说过,那里的潜力很大,而且价格很好呢。;)

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:
失望就离开它

那就去欧洲或来美国吧!但等我对欧美市场也失望时,我去哪里?

[Edited at 2007-03-09 07:25]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对国内的翻译市场简直是失望透了 (Disappointed with the translation market in mainland China)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »