Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Net Neutrality? Mar 26, 2007

wherestip wrote:

The concept of net neutrality may be relevant to this topic.

Even in KudoZ and this forum, misinformation is unavoidable. I agree it's up to the user to distinguish what is useful to him or her.

http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jHOn0EW8U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality#Absolute_Non-Discrimination

Well, Steve, this might be a wrong idea for there are some countries where you don't have access to these three website. The idea must be wrong, I guess.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
Net Neutrality Mar 26, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Well, Steve, this might be a wrong idea for there are some countries where you don't have access to these three website. The idea must be wrong, I guess.

Wenjer,

I know what you mean. The whole idea of democracy is not having a Big Brother tell us what is right and what is wrong. People have to think independently and make up their own mind, 而不是 人云亦云.

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
google is just another vegetable market as the one near my home. Mar 26, 2007

以往初次接触google,我也有过用hits来确定信息是否可靠的时候,甚至在kudoz中振振有词的说该次有xxxxxx hits 应该适用云云。
慢慢发现google is just another vegetable market as the one near my home, 要自己仔细的挑那些是新鲜又营养的,哪些是陈年旧货,腐烂苹果,还有些诸如面包之类的自己烤的倒更好。

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
金山词霸不足信 Mar 31, 2007

Donglai Lou wrote:

Clearwater 兄,

我和前面几位仁兄的观点基本相同,即赋予Google或任何机构此类权力,容易导致权力的滥用,因为很多事物是没有标准,见人见智的。

就拿你举的列子而言,“鹜”和“骛”两者是通用(假)的,很难说后者一定是错误的。

“鹜

奔驰。通“鹜” [gallop]。如:鹜置(以马疾驰传递);鹜行(疾驰)
引申为追求 [seek for]。如:好高鹜远;鹜新(求新)
游水 [swim]”(摘自金山词霸)

其次,语言是不断发展的。大众的使用习惯在其中起着十分重要的作用。有许多用法或许在出现时是错误的、无理的,但用的人多了,语言学家也就接受。

<书>1、纵横奔驰;驰骛。2、追求:外骛;好高骛远

<书>鸭子:趋之若鹜
源自:《现代汉语词典》修订本(商务印书馆)
PS:金山词霸上有不少词条是错误的,估计属于软件开发人员的录入错误导致的。

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
就怕以讹传讹 Mar 31, 2007

Tingting Huang wrote:

clearwater wrote:

Huijun Suo wrote:

即使是出版的词典也会有错误,有的错误率还相当高,这些都是考查译者功夫的地方。

是的,所以我在选择词典时一般会考查出版方以及具体收录的词条解释的正确性。不过,感觉相对而言,越是以前出版的东西,质量越叫人放心。可能是前人不像现人急功近利吧?!

我明白你的意思.网上的东西要使用者自己去辨别真伪.这方面,我也有体会.我教的学生中,就有到网上去找reference的。明明是错的,还蛮有理的跟你说,他找到几十万个hits,总不会是都错了吧?

是的,我是觉得网络上的许多东西可能误人子弟,尤其是许多新手和初学者。如果谷歌能够事先“过滤”一下这些明显的错误东西(包括错别字、错误用法和错误的解释等),起到词典的规范作用,至于那些有探讨性的内容,自然可以原封不动地予以保留。

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
单从技术上讲 Mar 31, 2007

clearwater wrote:
是的,我是觉得网络上的许多东西可能误人子弟,尤其是许多新手和初学者。如果谷歌能够事先“过滤”一下这些明显的错误东西(包括错别字、错误用法和错误的解释等),起到词典的规范作用,至于那些有探讨性的内容,自然可以原封不动地予以保留。

IMO,谷歌之所以有用,就是因为它不加任何“过滤”,诚实地告诉你网上有什么。如果它加了某种“过滤”程序,严肃的用户就始终有一个疑虑:“我所要找的东西是不是被它滤掉了”?那么,谷歌当月的业绩就要下降。这等于花钱给自己做镣铐。:-D

此外,如果我就是要搜索一下“错别字”怎么办?譬如,我想知道究竟有多少人把“谷歌”写成“谷哥”,现在我可以做到,有了过滤就做不到了。;-)

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
也有道理 Mar 31, 2007

Xiaoping Fu wrote:

clearwater wrote:

IMO,谷歌之所以有用,就是因为它不加任何“过滤”,诚实地告诉你网上有什么。如果它加了某种“过滤”程序,严肃的用户就始终有一个疑虑:“我所要找的东西是不是被它滤掉了”?那么,谷歌当月的业绩就要下降。这等于花钱给自己做镣铐。:-D

此外,如果我就是要搜索一下“错别字”怎么办?譬如,我想知道究竟有多少人把“谷歌”写成“谷哥”,现在我可以做到,有了过滤就做不到了。;-)

可要是有人,楞是拿错别字当成真,以此来“要挟”你,是不是要给活活憋坏啊^_^

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
甭较真 Apr 1, 2007

clearwater wrote:
可要是有人,楞是拿错别字当成真,以此来“要挟”你,是不是要给活活憋坏啊^_^

咱是自由翻译,哪儿这么容易就给憋着了?:-) 如果PM拿错别字当真,那是他混,怪不着谷歌什么事儿,咱也用不着跟他较真。该你负责的,你就当家,当不了家的,就不用负责任。:-D

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
又如 Apr 3, 2007

又譬如:美国知名的投资机构Carlyle Group,网上有译成:凯雷集团的,也有译成:卡莱尔集团的,如果不加规范,没看到或者不知Carlyle Group的人还以为这是两家截然不同的机构。要是有统一规范,岂不是轻松许多、清楚许多?!

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
这种译名统一不是Google的管辖范围 Apr 4, 2007

公司译名应以该公司自己认可的译名为准。在客户没有提供译名的情况下,我会leave as is。如果一定要我翻译出来,我会在第一次出现时,在我的译名后面加括号,把公司原文名称放在括号里。说实话,Google不过是搜索引擎,要它把关,是不现实的,也是没有必要的。

clearwater wrote:

又譬如:美国知名的投资机构Carlyle Group,网上有译成:凯雷集团的,也有译成:卡莱尔集团的,如果不加规范,没看到或者不知Carlyle Group的人还以为这是两家截然不同的机构。要是有统一规范,岂不是轻松许多、清楚许多?!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Net Neutrality Apr 4, 2007

wherestip wrote:
Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Wenjer,

I know what you mean. The whole idea of democracy is not having a Big Brother tell us what is right and what is wrong. People have to think independently and make up their own mind, 而不是 人云亦云.

I guess you caught my irony.

The issue of "net neutrality" is clear for us who enjoying liberty and knowing right from wrong, but it isn't easy for people who are used to authoritarian rules. Such people usually need to be told what to think, what to do and what to say. That is why they ask for "the right answers" all the time.

Such people are 势利眼. They take orders from people powerful then they are and obey rules only when they are forced to obey, or else they would discard correct answers just because they wouldn't like to give credits to those who they considered less powerful.

For such people, there isn't anything like net neutrality for it doesn't make sense to them. Well, some hardware design failure and software development error in their mind which nobody can help.

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
本性难改 Apr 4, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

wherestip wrote:
Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Wenjer,

I guess you caught my irony.

The issue of "net neutrality" is clear for us who enjoying liberty and knowing right from wrong, but it isn't easy for people who are used to authoritarian rules. Such people usually need to be told what to think, what to do and what to say. That is why they ask for "the right answers" all the time.

Such people are 势利眼. They take orders from people powerful then they are and obey rules only when they are forced to obey, or else they would discard correct answers just because they wouldn't like to give credits to those who they considered less powerful.

For such people, there isn't anything like net neutrality for it doesn't make sense to them. Well, some hardware design failure and software development error in their mind which nobody can help.

Wenjer:
看来你是改不了含沙射影、指桑骂槐的习性了,或者更准确地说,你天生就喜欢做这种事。真让人担心,一个大老爷们却像婆娘那样,尽喜欢说些刻薄的话。
你可以把我发的贴子、你答的贴子找出来,看看我是不是把point乱给他人、而没有给你。
夏天来了,挥之不去的虫子似乎也多了起来了。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
硬件、软件都出问题的系统当然有行为表现上的瓶颈 Apr 4, 2007

Clearwater,

没那个闲工夫陪你找贴子,但你应该非常清楚,你思想上的瓶颈得自于何因。比刻薄,谁当得起你?

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 22:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Back to the original discussion, Apr 4, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Clearwater,

没那个闲工夫陪你找贴子,但你应该非常清楚,你思想上的瓶颈得自于何因。比刻薄,谁当得起你?

Back to the original discussion, google is just a serach engine, although an increasingly powerful one, it is not reasonable to expect them to filter the information in their data system. Unless it is hard science, there is no absolute right or wrong answer. There are things that just cannot be standardized. I am not talking about typos here. Google is doing a fantastic job in offering people information from different perspectives. Google is a facilitator. Individuals are responsible for their own choice of information.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
That is exactly what is about. Apr 4, 2007

Tingting Huang wrote:

Back to the original discussion, google is just a serach engine, although an increasingly powerful one, it is not reasonable to expect them to filter the information in their data system. Unless it is hard science, there is no absolute right or wrong answer. There are things that just cannot be standardized. I am not talking about typos here. Google is doing a fantastic job in offering people information from different perspectives. Google is a facilitator. Individuals are responsible for their own choice of information.

Both Steve and I are of the same opinion as you when we were talking about "net neutrality." We cannot expect Google provides "filtered right answers," because answers out there are to be "judged" by people with the strength and health of their minds. We can never expect a biased mind could judge without prejudices.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

希望Google的人能看到

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »