ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree with wherestip Jul 17, 2007

wherestip wrote:

From my experience with KudoZ, it happens quite often actually.

Some things ... you just gotta laugh them off.

在诸如此类情况下,很难说提问者是滥用权力、有意不选正确答案。有时答题者确实是答对了,但也许提供的参考或证据不够,未能完全说服提问者。何况,有时得到很多agree的答案也不一定是正确答案。所以,没必要把它当会事,更无必要投诉。一笑了之为佳。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Suggestion for Kudoz rule Jul 17, 2007

An asker must close his Kudoz question within a reasonable time limit, e.g., two weeks from the date he posts his question. If any of his questions remains unclosed when the time limit is exceeded, he should not be allowed to post any new questions until he closes that particular question.

If an asker closes his question without accepting any proposed answer for the reason of “answer was found elsewhere”, he must post that answer he found himself to share with the answerers i
... See more
An asker must close his Kudoz question within a reasonable time limit, e.g., two weeks from the date he posts his question. If any of his questions remains unclosed when the time limit is exceeded, he should not be allowed to post any new questions until he closes that particular question.

If an asker closes his question without accepting any proposed answer for the reason of “answer was found elsewhere”, he must post that answer he found himself to share with the answerers in return.

I am not sure if the existing rule has already included similar provisions to the above. If similar provisions exist, just ignore what I said. Thanks!
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Jianjun for your quick advice! Jul 17, 2007

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

可以向管理人员(support ticket)投诉或向相关 Moderator 投诉。但在论坛讨论特定 KudoZ 问题是违反规定的。

建军

jyuan_us wrote:

有同仁把三年前我回答﹑並被拒絕了的一個問題給了一個AGREE。當年也沒有對此很在意﹐可以說根本就沒感覺。

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yueyin, Jul 18, 2007

Yes, part of your suggestion is already there. I found the following suggestion interesting:

Yueyin Sun wrote:
If an asker closes his question without accepting any proposed answer for the reason of “answer was found elsewhere”, he must post that answer he found himself to share with the answerers in return.

I don't know what ProZ management will think about it. But in my opinion, indeed it is a useful function. However, if the asker chooses none of the answers is suitable, we still can't control the problem. Fortunately, we really don't have so many such cases.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
A matter of ethics Jul 18, 2007

Jianjun,

Thank you for your prompt response. I read the rules again and found that the rules did cover the first part of my suggestion. I should have read the rules before posting my suggestion.

As to the second part of my suggestion, the rule 2.6 says, “Note that when no answer is deemed helpful, it is possible to close a question without selecting a most helpful answer.” I have no objection to this rule. However, sometimes I saw that a question was closed wi
... See more
Jianjun,

Thank you for your prompt response. I read the rules again and found that the rules did cover the first part of my suggestion. I should have read the rules before posting my suggestion.

As to the second part of my suggestion, the rule 2.6 says, “Note that when no answer is deemed helpful, it is possible to close a question without selecting a most helpful answer.” I have no objection to this rule. However, sometimes I saw that a question was closed without grading but with a reason saying “answer was found elsewhere”. I feel that, under such a circumstance, the asker should share the answer he found elsewhere with the answerers. If the asker doesn’t disclose the answer he found, it seems he is quite selfish and it may hurt the feelings of the enthusiastic answerers. It’s somewhat like “I want to get what you have, but I can’t give you what I have.” Alternatively, he can just say “no answer is deemed helpful”, instead of “answer was found elsewhere”. After all, it’s a matter of ethics.
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yueyin, Jul 18, 2007

I think I get your idea now. If implemented, not only the answerers will know what the "right" answer is, but also the term can be entered into the glossary (I'll check if the term can still be entered by the asker if she chooses to close a question in this way.). But the most important thing is the asker is giving back to the community.

Yueyin Sun wrote:
However, sometimes I saw that a question was closed without grading but with a reason saying “answer was found elsewhere”. I feel that, under such a circumstance, the asker should share the answer he found elsewhere with the answerers. If the asker doesn’t disclose the answer he found, it seems he is quite selfish and it may hurt the feelings of the enthusiastic answerers. It’s somewhat like “I want to get what you have, but I can’t give you what I have.” Alternatively, he can just say “no answer is deemed helpful”, instead of “answer was found elsewhere”. After all, it’s a matter of ethics.

[Edited at 2007-07-18 03:46]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Exactly Jul 18, 2007

Jianjun,

Yes, the asker should give back to the community. I think the Kudoz rules should make this practice mandatory. Another benefit from doing this is that, if the answer the asker has found elsewhere happens to be incorrect, it will give him a second chance to get help from the peers. Thank you!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Anwers are to be entered into the glossary for common benefits. Aug 5, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Yes, the asker should give back to the community. I think the Kudoz rules should make this practice mandatory. Another benefit from doing this is that, if the answer the asker has found elsewhere happens to be incorrect, it will give him a second chance to get help from the peers. Thank you!

Among all threads discussing issues of KudoZ, this is most fruitful one I ever followed. I guess, KudoZ is an institution for common benefits, not just to help the asker answering the question at hand. The final solution is to be entered into the glossary for furhter utilization and to the benefits of all translating colleagues.

It isn't important who teaches or who learns, but that everyone can learn from the resulting answers. For this reason, confrontations are sometimes necessary, especially when they are not personal, not judgements/opinions based on personal preferences. So long as there's no manipulation, I believe in mass dynamics, knowing that the mass dynamics lead to an ever improving interaction among colleagues.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz 的分数

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »