Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 8, 2007

Hello

A friend of mine, who teaches translation in the Chinese Institute here in Santiago, invited me to her class to talk about Proz.com.
The students are studying to become Chinese to Spanish translators.
It's very likely that they have never heard a word about Proz.com and I thought that I could switch to the Chinese interface and focus on KudoZ glossaries.

What else would you recommend that could help me to do something "Chinese focused"?

Thanks for any ideas

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Invite them to the Chinese forum Jun 8, 2007

Hi Claudia,

What a lovely invitation! I hope you'll have fun with the students and show them something new.

The Chinese community here on Proz.com is really friendly and helpful, so besides introducing them to Kudoz, I think you can invite the students to visit the Chinese forum. This way, they will get to know other Chinese translators, learn more about the Chinese translation market, and even be able to ask questions themselves.

Have fun and say hi to the students from a translator colleague in Germany

Stefanie

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translators' database search feature Jun 9, 2007

Hi Claudia and Stefanie

Thank you, Stefanie, for the good suggestion!

That sounds like a real fun trip for you to talk with those future translators. I would show them how to use the Freelance Translator search feature and do some English>Chinese or Chinese>English searches in ProZ.com database. The translator showed up also can be illustrated on map. You can click on their ID images and go to their profile pages. I was told there are over 3,000 Chinese translators have registered at ProZ.com now.

By the way, when you want to do a search by using a translator's name, please feel free to use my name, so I can get that free advertisement from your demo class.

Ciao!

Kevin

[修改时间: 2007-06-09 00:25]

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Kudoz and POWWOW Jun 10, 2007

Hi Claudia,

Two more ideas:

1) There are probably only a few entries in the Chinese-Spanish Kudoz glossary, so instead you might like to encourage them to ask questions in Chinese-Spanish Kudoz. They can even ask questions from their homework!

2) Someone can organise a POWWOW. Hopefully some experienced translators in the region will show up and tell them more about Proz.

Good luck with the talk.

Denyce

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips or advice to talk about Proz.com to students of Chinese

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search