Trados or WordFast for Chinese to English translation?
Thread poster: wongikuelekk (X)
wongikuelekk (X)
wongikuelekk (X)
Jan 13, 2003

I\'m considering to use a terminology management and translation memory tools for translating from Chinese to English. Prior to taking the plunge to invest and port my Excel spreadsheet, I\'d like to hear your experience.

Have you tried Trados?

Have you tried WordFast?

How extensive have you used it?

What do you like about it?

What don\'t you like about it?

What kinds of problems do you have?

Are there problems spe
... See more
I\'m considering to use a terminology management and translation memory tools for translating from Chinese to English. Prior to taking the plunge to invest and port my Excel spreadsheet, I\'d like to hear your experience.

Have you tried Trados?

Have you tried WordFast?

How extensive have you used it?

What do you like about it?

What don\'t you like about it?

What kinds of problems do you have?

Are there problems specific to Chinese that maynot exist in other languages?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pemalot
Collapse

Rod Nelson
Rod Nelson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:07
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast is excellent! Mar 18, 2003

I have extensive experience with Wordfast and very limited knowledge of Trados. Wordfast is excellent! It is easy to use (far less complicated yet with very sophisticated functions) and much less expensive than Trados. Unless you need to work with an agency or company that requires Trados, I would say go with Wordfast.

cathy2003
cathy2003
English to Chinese
Yaxin CAT is the best! Mar 25, 2003

If you are in china, you can try Yaxin CAT.

I use it for two yoears, it is easily and efficacious.

You can go www.yiba.com for more information.

yxcat
yxcat
English
yes!,I think Yxcat is the best ; Jul 18, 2003

I use it for two yoears, it is easily and efficacious.
You can go www.yiba.com
click here, down the demo:)

for more information.[/quote]
I come from sunv. and I am very thanks for your worlds; come to

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
Chinese to English
+ ...
Trados and/or Metatexis Aug 12, 2003

I get frustrated with WordFast's demands about this directory and that file position. I do a lot of short documents, so it's not worth it for me to construct a separate directory for each one. (Or am I thinking about a different package??? I'm feeling confused all of a sudden.)

I myself use Trados and, now, Metatexis. Apart from some functions requiring too many keystrokes (such as choosing from alternatives presented) I like Metatexis, and it's much cheaper than Trados (but then wh
... See more
I get frustrated with WordFast's demands about this directory and that file position. I do a lot of short documents, so it's not worth it for me to construct a separate directory for each one. (Or am I thinking about a different package??? I'm feeling confused all of a sudden.)

I myself use Trados and, now, Metatexis. Apart from some functions requiring too many keystrokes (such as choosing from alternatives presented) I like Metatexis, and it's much cheaper than Trados (but then what isn't??)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or WordFast for Chinese to English translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »