David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Salute to the Boston Firemen! Sep 10, 2007

PK,

I am still thinking about the Chinese restaurant fire in Boston and the two firemen who died while I was there...
I can understand that a restaurant can catch fire, with so much stir-frying and stuff. But I could not understand how the chefs got so busy cooking, that they did not notice the fire and let it burn until one hour later it went through the top of their roof! So when the firemen finally arrived, the whole damn roof collapsed and took their lives.

... See more
PK,

I am still thinking about the Chinese restaurant fire in Boston and the two firemen who died while I was there...
I can understand that a restaurant can catch fire, with so much stir-frying and stuff. But I could not understand how the chefs got so busy cooking, that they did not notice the fire and let it burn until one hour later it went through the top of their roof! So when the firemen finally arrived, the whole damn roof collapsed and took their lives.

Well here are some nice birds and boats, with nobody on them, because everybody left trying to put out the fire or stay away from it!

Boys and girls, please give these pictures a vote.

Do you like Swan-boat #1

Or Swan-boat #2

[Edited at 2007-09-10 15:52]
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
向他們致敬 Sep 10, 2007

向他們致敬。據悉﹕兩人在火場中死於心髒病。

See more
向他們致敬。據悉﹕兩人在火場中死於心髒病。

[Edited at 2007-09-10 16:27]
Collapse

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
#2 Sep 10, 2007

I always go for better lighting.

David Shen wrote:

Boys and girls, please give these pictures a vote.

Do you like Swan-boat #1

Or Swan-boat #2

[Edited at 2007-09-10 16:19]

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
可否一人投兩票 Sep 10, 2007

兩幅我都投。正如Chance所說,PK是來搗亂的。

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
#2? Sep 10, 2007

Thanks Shaunna,

Do you mean you want to second the swan?
Or I am sorry I mean the second swan?

Well they say one's choices of food and colors reflect one's personality. You must like spicy hot food, not like the girls in Hangzhou and Suzhou with all these sweet stuff, or sour!

Shaunna wrote:

Well, pk is trying to decide whether he likes sweet or sour, he may like both sweet and sour!

[Edited at 2007-09-10 16:50]

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good Question! Sep 10, 2007

Mark Xiang wrote:

作为KudoZ English-Chinese的Moderator,有权封论坛的帖子?

Mark

Good question. I also want to know the answer. Does a KudoZ English-Chinese moderator have the power to block the postings on the Forum? I have always thought that the moderator for the forum is Kevin only.

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Scary Sep 10, 2007

So scarily true!

Well, I should be more careful next time when David solicits voting for his pics-- don't know when there is a personality/mentality test hidden.

-- Can someone just step forward and tell us you like #2 better and you never touch spicy food?

David Shen wrote:

Thanks Shaunna,

Do you mean you want to second the swan?
Or I am sorry I mean the second swan?

Well they say one's choices of food and colors reflect one's personality. You must like spicy hot food, not like the girls in Hangzhou and Suzhou with all these sweet stuff, or sour!

Shaunna wrote:

Well, pk is trying to decide whether he likes sweet or sour, he may like both sweet and sour!

[Edited at 2007-09-10 16:50]

[Edited at 2007-09-10 17:09]

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
??? Sep 10, 2007

Hi David,

I tried. I mean I stared at the pictures a little bit more, and I still don't have a clue why the 2nd swan pic would indicate spicy food.
... Enlighten me a little?

David Shen wrote:

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 17:05
English to Chinese
格式是通用的 Sep 10, 2007

英文简历都是那个格式,十有八九是相似的。谁都是套用格式,把别人的经历换成自己的罢了,无所谓真正的抄袭。

也许有的新人刚开始时心里没底,参考一下别人的简历,这有什么错?我敢说所有人第一次写简历都参考过别人的东西。没准人家的经历跟你很相似,如何能断言自己一定与众不同?10几亿人,跟自己的经历相似的人多着呢!

同意PK的看法:人家参考你的简历,那说明你写得好,你脸上也有光,何必斤斤计较。第一次听说简历还有版权,新鲜!

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
PK的選擇,魚與熊掌? Sep 10, 2007

捨熊掌要魚,無魚天鵝也無所謂,要四只,不要兩只。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Everyone should be treated equally with the Proz.com rules Sep 10, 2007

Some colleagues expressed their opinions about Jianjun here and there. I don’t think this is a public trial of a KUDOZ moderator. What we want is just that Jianjun should also abide by the rules of Proz.com as other members do, no matter he is a KUDOZ moderator or not.

The major problem of Jianjun is not just his working style as a moderator. The major problem is that he likes to bring his personal conflicts with other translator in his personal business to public on this f
... See more
Some colleagues expressed their opinions about Jianjun here and there. I don’t think this is a public trial of a KUDOZ moderator. What we want is just that Jianjun should also abide by the rules of Proz.com as other members do, no matter he is a KUDOZ moderator or not.

The major problem of Jianjun is not just his working style as a moderator. The major problem is that he likes to bring his personal conflicts with other translator in his personal business to public on this forum. His conflicts with Sunny Xia and Wenjer are just two most recent examples in this regard. As I know, this is not allowed for any members of Proz.com. If you take time to read Jianjun’s postings and the discussion threads he opened in the past, you can find more of such examples although Jianjun has the privilege to modify his past postings at any time as he wishes while other members only have 24 hours to do so.

In the case of his conflict with Sunny Xia, Jianjun has his right to do whatever he thinks appropriate in private, including filing a law suit in China, but it is definitely wrong for him to try to damage Sunny’s reputation here. Since Jianjun has already recorded all the video and audio evidences of the alleged infringement, was it necessary to inform the 12 Proz.com members to serve as his potential witnesses? It is also inappropriate for him to use implicit and offensive language to attack Sunny and other members on this forum as I pointed out at the very beginning.

Since Jianjun attacked and insulted other users and members of Proz.com publicly on this forum, he should admit his mistakes and make a public apology here to all those users and members. I believe this is not something unreasonable.

As to whether Jianjun is suitable to remain as a moderator to serve in the English-Chinese KUDOZ section, I think it is up to the Proz.com management to decide. It is not my business, but I think Jianjun should not abuse his power in the Forum section and interfere with Kevin’s job. Kevin is good enough to do this job!

Libin PhD wrote:

I completely agree with wherestip's opinion and I also agree with Yueyin's points about a moderator's obligation to separate moderating responsibility from the moderator's own posting. You cannot be a referee and a player at the same time.

IMO, a moderator's job is to serve the community, not to rule the people here. He/she should be a problem solver, not a trouble maker on the forum.

If a server cannot get along with the people s/he serves, s/he should be removed so that other people who are more suitable for job can be selected to serve. As they say in most American companies or other organizations, get along or get out.

In addition to what Yueyin points out, one thing I noticed in the past is that Jianjun sometimes open a topic and add two or three postings there, then block it. To me, that is an abuse of a moderator's power and it is not fair to other users.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another example Sep 10, 2007

Here is another example that Jianjun brought his personal conflict with other translators from his own business to public on this forum: “Some Lessons Learned from Being a PM”
http://www.proz.com/topic/69388?start=0&float=

It was very apparent that the so-called “Medi” that Jianjun attacked with his lengthy postings is another member Weiping Tang, as Weiping was f
... See more
Here is another example that Jianjun brought his personal conflict with other translators from his own business to public on this forum: “Some Lessons Learned from Being a PM”
http://www.proz.com/topic/69388?start=0&float=

It was very apparent that the so-called “Medi” that Jianjun attacked with his lengthy postings is another member Weiping Tang, as Weiping was forced to come out in defense of himself in a similar way to what Sunny Xia was forced to do.

I suggested to Jianjun at the very beginning in that thread that he should talk with Weiping in private to resolve any disputes between them, but he didn’t listen. Other members also tried to mediate, but all those efforts were in vain. Then, the disputes quickly escalated. In his summary Jianjun said that:
http://www.proz.com/topic/69388?start=45&float=
Jianjun Zhang wrote:

第一帖的原文经过了删改。因为刚贴出后不久,那位翻译者就给我打电话,说愿意退款,但请不要将他曝光。我跟他在电话里解释了一小时,一边解释一边在笑(他也在笑 ),其实,只要他自己不跳出来,谁会知道他是谁?干嘛这么害怕?

但为了表示善意,我同意删掉最后几句话,因此更缺少了一些信息。其实很简单,崇洋媚外的家伙对美国的 PM 会小心翼翼,但对中国人便会装大爷,做出很鸟的事情来。因此,我举出小羊向狮子告坏狼的故事,狮子想不到,在小羊的眼里,狼有多么霸道。

这样的翻译有人格问题,今天他对你好,明天他得了势,可能会伤害你。后天去了势,又完全不顾脸面来求你。与这样的人合作随时会有危险!话说到此,信不信由你...

and http://www.proz.com/topic/69388?start=60&float=
Jianjun Zhang wrote:

帮带同仁与使用无经验的译者是两码事。我会帮助无经验的译者,提供一些有益的咨询(包括那位崇洋媚外的译者,也是从我这里得到不少咨询才逐渐打开市场。),甚至发展机会,但不会拿任何稿件给无经验的同仁做。因 为从客户方面考虑,这样的做法不相宜。

In the above postings, Jianjun even implied that Weiping was someone “subservient to foreigners” (崇洋媚外的家伙). He used that offensive term twice. As we know, this would be considered as a serious political accusation in the communist China. As to “做出很鸟的事情来”, some colleagues explained somewhere else on the forum what the Chinese character “鸟” (pronounced as diao) meant. I don’t want to explain the dirty word again, but I couldn’t even believe that Jianjun, who worked as a high school teacher for quite a long time, would use such an intolerably dirty language to insult one of his colleagues!

Jianjun challenged Weiping’s morality and suggested that “it would be risky at any time to cooperate with such a translator, whether you believe it or not” (与这样的人合作随时会有危险!话说到此,信不信由你...). It is apparent that Jianjun tried to ruin Weiping’s reputation in front of other members here, which could possibly result in serious consequences to Weiping’s translation business. As you can see, what Jianjun did to Weiping was very similar to what he did to Sunny Xia!

By the way, I’d like to take this occasion to say that I had opportunities to cooperate with Weiping in several English into Chinese translation projects and he did excellent jobs!

[Edited at 2007-09-10 22:07]
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
One week break Sep 10, 2007

Hi all,

Kevin had to go offline for a few days to attend to some personal matters, and he asked Jianjun and I to moderate this forum. However, I can see that the situation is getting a bit awkward now. I have asked Jianjun to stop posting in the forum for one week. During this period, I hope the rest of us can stop commenting about Jianjun too, just to be fair. Of course, I am not naive to think that the situation will clear up just by keeping silent for one week, but cooling down
... See more
Hi all,

Kevin had to go offline for a few days to attend to some personal matters, and he asked Jianjun and I to moderate this forum. However, I can see that the situation is getting a bit awkward now. I have asked Jianjun to stop posting in the forum for one week. During this period, I hope the rest of us can stop commenting about Jianjun too, just to be fair. Of course, I am not naive to think that the situation will clear up just by keeping silent for one week, but cooling down the discussion is a first step in any attempt to solve community issues. We want to restore peace in the Chinese community, and I am sure most, if not all of us, want the same thing. Please, just one week. It will be good for everyone.

Denyce
Collapse

Zhiqin_Chen
Zhiqin_Chen  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
我喜欢第一张天鹅图片 Sep 11, 2007

感觉第二张是椅子的颜色太跳,刺眼。第一张柔和。
恰好我不喜欢吃辣椒,喜欢清淡,一点点甜也可以。真有意思:)

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
我也喜欢第一张天鹅 Sep 11, 2007

第一眼看过去就喜欢第一张。我喜欢吃清淡的、酸的。不太喜欢甜的辣的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

谁能推荐一款调整图像的软件(为OCR作预处理)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »