Upgrade DJV X2 Pro to Workgroup – does a freelancer really need it?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:06
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Aug 28, 2012

Dear All,

I own a license for DJV X2 Pro. There is an opportunity now to upgrade to Workgroup as part of the current promotion.

The question is: is it worth the price tag?

I am a freelance translator and I almost never outsource. Even if I did it more frequently, DJV X2 is not the most requested by clients, so it is currently used more often than not for "personal consumption".

Also: 99% of the important tools are active in the Pro version, Wor
... See more
Dear All,

I own a license for DJV X2 Pro. There is an opportunity now to upgrade to Workgroup as part of the current promotion.

The question is: is it worth the price tag?

I am a freelance translator and I almost never outsource. Even if I did it more frequently, DJV X2 is not the most requested by clients, so it is currently used more often than not for "personal consumption".

Also: 99% of the important tools are active in the Pro version, Workgroup seems not to have anything of crucial interest.

I would love someone to prove me wrong on that (I am looking for an excuse to buy

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Workgroup is (mostly) a misnomer Aug 29, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
Also: 99% of the important tools are active in the Pro version, Workgroup seems not to have anything of crucial interest.

As I see it, Workgroup is mostly a misnomer nowadays in the case of Déjà Vu.

Restricting the number of TM's/TB's that can be used simultaneously doesn't have much to do with workgroups: freelancers too can have accumulated a number of databases and be willing to use more than five at the same time. Besides, competitors don't have such a restriction.

Only Workgroup can be used to export to the legacy Trados bilingual ("uncleaned") Word format. What if I'm a freelancer and I have a client using Trados who asks me to supply an uncleaned version (so they can update their own TM). What has this got to do with workgroups? Sure, you can send the a TMX instead, but PM's at agencies often only know how to deal with uncleaned documents.

Likewise, only Workgroup can export to XLIFF. Why is that? Again, what has this got to do with workgroups. XLIFF has become a major standard that all tools should support, like TMX for memories.

Btw, Atril's comparison table (http://atril.com/en/content/compare-our-products) is outdated: according to the table, the Professional edition cannot connect to TeaM Server. AFAIK, this is no longer the case. They must have realized they were shooting themselves in the foot with such a restriction: what better way to hinder acceptance of your server product than preventing the hords of freelancers using the main edition (Professional) fron accessing the server.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Aug 29, 2012

Dominique,

I see your point.

Indeed, the Pro version should have all the features, mentioned by you.

The Workgroup version should have the project-managing abilities it currently has, and also – exclusively – it should have the function, which allows for the concurrent use of DeepMiner, AutoAssemble and Machine Translation. This the most powerful function of DJV X2, none of the competitors has it, and the Pro version should not have it either.
... See more
Dominique,

I see your point.

Indeed, the Pro version should have all the features, mentioned by you.

The Workgroup version should have the project-managing abilities it currently has, and also – exclusively – it should have the function, which allows for the concurrent use of DeepMiner, AutoAssemble and Machine Translation. This the most powerful function of DJV X2, none of the competitors has it, and the Pro version should not have it either.

Otherwise, Workgroup has no reason to exist.

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
xliff Aug 29, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Likewise, only Workgroup can export to XLIFF. Why is that? Again, what has this got to do with workgroups. XLIFF has become a major standard that all tools should support, like TMX for memories.

Except Wordfast! AFAIK, it is one of your favourite CATs.

@Pavel

New features will be added to the Workgroup version but then the price may be much higher.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
What's in a name? Aug 29, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
it should have the function, which allows for the concurrent use of DeepMiner, AutoAssemble and Machine Translation. This the most powerful function of DJV X2, none of the competitors has it

Are you sure?

[Edited at 2012-08-29 16:18 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
XLIFF Aug 29, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Except Wordfast! AFAIK, it is one of your favourite CATs.

I agree with you that having support for XLIFF in Wordfast would be nice, but that doesn't change the fact that not including it in the Professional edition of DVX2 doesn't make much sense: since the feature exists, it wouldn't cost Atril anything to add it to the Professional edition. I don't believe many translators would pay the premium for the Workgroup edition just for the sake of getting XLIFF support.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
@Pavel
New features will be added to the Workgroup version but then the price may be much higher.

Allow me to be sceptical regarding the sustainability of a high priced Workgroup edition. If it is repeatedly discounted at a price below 600 euros, why would anyone want to pay the current "normal" price, let alone a price "much higher" than that?

Having multiple editions of the same product with features omitted on purpose mostly manages to annoy translators and SDL is the only company that can get away with it, because of their established position as the market leader.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Feature set of Professional vs. Workgroup Aug 31, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
The Workgroup version should have the project-managing abilities it currently has

In fact, I think Workgroup should be sold only as part of their TeaM Server package, like Kilgray is doing with the PM edition of memoQ, which is only available as part of memoQ server packages.

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
, and also – exclusively – it should have the function, which allows for the concurrent use of DeepMiner, AutoAssemble and Machine Translation. This the most powerful function of DJV X2, none of the competitors has it, and the Pro version should not have it either.

I disagree with you here: I believe it is counterproductive to omit important features from the Professional edition. The features you mention are related to the actual work of translating: why would you want to leave them out, especially if competitors don't have them?

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
Otherwise, Workgroup has no reason to exist.

It has a reason to exist as part of Atril's collaborative solution, TeaM Server. This is why it should be sold only as part of that solution, and not be made the "flagship" version of their client software (which should be Professional).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade DJV X2 Pro to Workgroup – does a freelancer really need it?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »