Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 20, 2004

Is there a way to import a file with strings like these and only see the translatable elements?

DEFINE('_COM_A_LOOKS','Look and Feel');
DEFINE('_COM_A_USERS','User Related');
DEFINE('_COM_A_LENGTHS','Various length settings');
DEFINE('_COM_A_SUBJECTLENGTH','Max. Subject length');

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:58
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Replace comma by tab Oct 20, 2004

Don't think there's an appropriate filter in DVX but this looks easy nonetheless:
1. Creat backup copy.
2. Replace comma by tab
3. Save under new name
4. Open new file in Word or Excel
5. Select columm to translate, copy to a new file
6. translate new file.
7. paste translation into Word or Excel file
8. Replace tab by ,
Done

Vincent Knobil
Vincent Knobil
France
English to French
context Oct 20, 2004

Hiding the codes is not necessarily a good idea, since it can sometimes give you some context for the string (and when translating code, you often need all the context you can get!)

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
In DéjàVu: Hide non-translatable elements Oct 20, 2004

Assuming you're working in Word, you can mark non-translatable elements as hidden with Word's search and replace function (provided that there is a way to automatically separate translatable from non-translatable text).

In the above example, I guess you could search for (and hide):
1. DEFINE\\('*'\\,'
2. '\\);

"Use wildcards" must be checked for this to work.

After that, you can import the document into DV with the option "Ignore hidden text" ch
... See more
Assuming you're working in Word, you can mark non-translatable elements as hidden with Word's search and replace function (provided that there is a way to automatically separate translatable from non-translatable text).

In the above example, I guess you could search for (and hide):
1. DEFINE\\('*'\\,'
2. '\\);

"Use wildcards" must be checked for this to work.

After that, you can import the document into DV with the option "Ignore hidden text" checked.

Endre

[Edited at 2004-10-20 10:47]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
In Trados: Apply the tw4winExternal style Oct 20, 2004

Open the text in Word, use Search and replace with Use wildcards and apply the tw4winExternal style (or create a new style, apply it and define it as non-translatable in Workbench). You can also apply the tw4winInternal style to codes like "\\n", variables, etc. Translate the document, clean it and save as plain text.

If you really want to hide the non-translatable text, change the non-translatable style to white color or something like that. I'm not sure if it's safe to use the Hid
... See more
Open the text in Word, use Search and replace with Use wildcards and apply the tw4winExternal style (or create a new style, apply it and define it as non-translatable in Workbench). You can also apply the tw4winInternal style to codes like "\\n", variables, etc. Translate the document, clean it and save as plain text.

If you really want to hide the non-translatable text, change the non-translatable style to white color or something like that. I'm not sure if it's safe to use the Hidden attribute. I'd rather not do it to prevent conflict with the hidden source text.

This is a very brief answer - let me know if you need more information.

[Edited at 2004-10-20 13:22]
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Try SDLX Oct 20, 2004

Whatever the file format, you only see the translatable text. Everything else is extracted, kept aside while you're translating and put back into place when you generate the translation.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-10-20 14:57]

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Oct 20, 2004

Thank you all for your helpful answers!

I would have followed Klaus's suggestion but the file was much more complex than what you can see from these few strings.

So, Endre's methodology is the one I followed, although it was not that simple as I had to perform a few more search and replace operations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Showing only translatable elements in DVX or Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »