Working with Deja Vu X2
Thread poster: julia20ua
julia20ua
julia20ua
Ukraine
Local time: 12:54
May 28, 2014

Hello everybody!
Never worked with this program before. I installed Deja Vu X2 on my lap top and now I need some help in creating my own termbase and translation memory. How does it work?
I'll be grateful for your responses!

[Edited at 2014-05-28 10:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-28 11:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-28 17:53 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Save, save, save May 28, 2014

This is going to be brief, but they're the instructions I received from a friend when I got started. I've followed them faithfully ever since, and continue to feel thankful to my friend for the excellent advice. And I have a rich database to show for it!

File > New > Termbase/Translation memory > follow the instructions. You actually "create" the termbase (TB) and translation memory (TM) by translating and saving to the TM as you go along. And, especially usefully, you save word
... See more
This is going to be brief, but they're the instructions I received from a friend when I got started. I've followed them faithfully ever since, and continue to feel thankful to my friend for the excellent advice. And I have a rich database to show for it!

File > New > Termbase/Translation memory > follow the instructions. You actually "create" the termbase (TB) and translation memory (TM) by translating and saving to the TM as you go along. And, especially usefully, you save words and phrases to the TB (and the project Lexicon) by highlighting and saving sections of the cell you're currently translating that you want to have in your TB for use in future translations. For instance, taking a sentence from what I've written above, you would save as follows to the TB:

"You actually "create" the termbase (TB) and translation memory (TM) by translating and saving to the TM as you go along."

You
actually
You actually create
termbase
termbase (TB
translation
translation memory
translation memory (TM
translating
saving
translating and saving
translating and saving to the TM
go
you go
you go along
as you go along
etc.

And don't forget that you have a lexicon feature, into which you can import project-specific glossaries to use as a project-specific version of the TB and which you can continue to flesh out as you go along, adding to the Lexicon as well as the TB. (And, once it is built, maybe import it into the TB.)

Additionally, to get started, if you have any bilingual glossaries sitting around from other projects, you can import them into DVX.
Collapse

julia20ua
julia20ua
Ukraine
Local time: 12:54
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS! May 28, 2014

Wow! Many thanks!
The things now seem easier for me.
And how I can import some glossaries? I have to install/download it first and then open like a file?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

importing external glossaries May 28, 2014

I assume you're working with DVX3? I'm just starting to learn my way around that version of DV myself, but I see that you can import glossaries to the "Lexicon" (see Lexicon tab). Click on "Import" and select the format of the glossary you want to import. I am most familiar with importing Excel bilingual glossaries, but you should be able to import the other formats, too, if you want to. I'd recommend clicking on the "Import" function and following the steps as they're laid out for you. ... See more
I assume you're working with DVX3? I'm just starting to learn my way around that version of DV myself, but I see that you can import glossaries to the "Lexicon" (see Lexicon tab). Click on "Import" and select the format of the glossary you want to import. I am most familiar with importing Excel bilingual glossaries, but you should be able to import the other formats, too, if you want to. I'd recommend clicking on the "Import" function and following the steps as they're laid out for you.

You can then add the imported glossary to the TB.

Have fun -- and take your time exploring all the options. You might as well develop your expertise now, while you have the chance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Deja Vu X2

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »