Thread poster: Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2005

I upgraded from DV3 to DVX yesteday, and have up to now used a macro program called SwapKeys for entering Danish vowels, since I work on a US keyboard.
However, DVX doesn't respond to SwapKeys, and it takes too long to use the character map or the Alt + number codes.
Does anyone know of another way?

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:40
German to English
+ ...
Try the forums at Yahoo Groups Sep 30, 2005

Hallo Alice,

Looks like you haven't found the best forum for DVX questions here - in almost a full day hardly anyone even looked at your question, let alone offering an answer.
I haven't looked into your problem (my other language is German and I have a German keyboard, so I don't have the problem). But I know that some people do use utilities which give them keyboard short cuts, even in DVX.
There is plenty of life in DVX (with lots of discussion and lots of very savvy
... See more
Hallo Alice,

Looks like you haven't found the best forum for DVX questions here - in almost a full day hardly anyone even looked at your question, let alone offering an answer.
I haven't looked into your problem (my other language is German and I have a German keyboard, so I don't have the problem). But I know that some people do use utilities which give them keyboard short cuts, even in DVX.
There is plenty of life in DVX (with lots of discussion and lots of very savvy users) if you know where to find it.
You can join the most lively group by sending a message to [email protected].
Then you can immediately post your question there. Your first question may be delayed a bit - new members are placed on moderated status until the moderators have checked that they are not spambots. But within a day or two you will have the same status as everybody else (there are about 1700 subscribers on the list).
Collapse

Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing the keyboard layout to another language Sep 30, 2005

Hello Victor,

Thanks for your note. I actually ended up switching the US keyboard layout to Danish by following these steps:
# Select the Start button in the lower left corner of the Desktop.
# Select Settings > Control Panel.
# In the Control Panel, double-click the Regional and Language Options item.
# In the Regional and Languages dialog box, click on the Languages tab.
# Click on the Details button in the Text services and input languages section of
... See more
Hello Victor,

Thanks for your note. I actually ended up switching the US keyboard layout to Danish by following these steps:
# Select the Start button in the lower left corner of the Desktop.
# Select Settings > Control Panel.
# In the Control Panel, double-click the Regional and Language Options item.
# In the Regional and Languages dialog box, click on the Languages tab.
# Click on the Details button in the Text services and input languages section of the Language tab to open the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box.
# To add a language, click the Add button in the Installed services section to open the Add Input Language dialog box.
# Click on the arrow to the right of the selector in the Input language selector and scroll to your labguage.
# Switch back and forth between the layouts by pressing:
Left Alt + Shift + 0
I printed out a cheat sheet with the Danish Keyboard Layout and can refer to it as I work, but it's amazing how quickly you can get used to it.
I also joined the DV newsgroup in Yahoo.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Alice
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX and foreign characters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »