Deja Vu X: Possible malfunction in auto functions?
Thread poster: Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

Hello!

I'm new to this software, and I'm trying to find my way around. I'm using the Workgroup version. I want to know how to operate basically, I found out already that when doing common translation work, the key shortcut to use to move to the next sentence is CTRL+DOWN ARROW. But I want this to trigger automatic actions: sending the completed pair to the memory, and also searching for possible matches in the TM for the next sentence. I think this corresponds to the AutoSend and Au
... See more
Hello!

I'm new to this software, and I'm trying to find my way around. I'm using the Workgroup version. I want to know how to operate basically, I found out already that when doing common translation work, the key shortcut to use to move to the next sentence is CTRL+DOWN ARROW. But I want this to trigger automatic actions: sending the completed pair to the memory, and also searching for possible matches in the TM for the next sentence. I think this corresponds to the AutoSend and AutoSearch functions. I have already enabled them in the Settings box, under the Environment tab of the Options box, but when using the CTRL+DOWN ARROW shortcut, apparently it doesn't send the pair to the TM, nor does it search for possible matches. I have to do it manually with F12 in each sentence (to send to TM) and doing the Search manually.

Any ideas?

I also want to activate the buttons in the status bar below (AS, etc) but I cannot do it.

Any help?

THANKS!!!

Martin
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
These functions work for me Aug 29, 2006

The functions you describe (and the way you go about it) seem to be correct, and they should work - they do for me and others.
A few ideas:
- Is the right database "attached" to the project? (Do you find fresh TM material when you do your manual search?) It may be worth going to Project>Properties>Databases and checking, then clicking OK. Sometimes this fixes "database finding" problems even if you don't change anything.
- Do your project and databases use the right languages?
... See more
The functions you describe (and the way you go about it) seem to be correct, and they should work - they do for me and others.
A few ideas:
- Is the right database "attached" to the project? (Do you find fresh TM material when you do your manual search?) It may be worth going to Project>Properties>Databases and checking, then clicking OK. Sometimes this fixes "database finding" problems even if you don't change anything.
- Do your project and databases use the right languages? (Check source and target language in each of them, just to make certain).
- Do you see the boxes AAs, ASr, APr, ASd and ACh at the bottom of the main window? Is the text black or grey? What effect does it have if you click on them?
- I suppose you have tried rebooting your computer. Any change?
- Sometimes it helps to repair the project and/or databases. As you are a new user, your databases will not yet have much material in them, so it should be fairly quick.
- What operating system do you have? I work successfully with XP Home, and XP Pro and W2k have a good reputation. W98 and WinME should be OK, but I know that Atril had a lot of trouble getting them to work properly, and I don't know if all of the wrinkles have been ironed out.

For more experts, it is worth joining the DVX list at Yahoogroups (dejavu-l - to subscribe, send an empty message to [email protected]).
There is a "Knowledge Base" at http://www.atril.com, and there are tips and tricks at http://www.necco.ca/dv
Collapse

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Aug 29, 2006

Victor, thanks for your answer. Anyway:

The database is correct.

The languages are correct.

I don't see these boxes (AAs, APr, etc) and I cannot make them appear. This is strange, I guess it's some kind of installation error, because when I try to activate any other toolbars apart from Standard and Project, all I get are empty toolbars except for a little icon called "Properties" with no effect at all.

Of course I've rebooted the system many ti
... See more
Victor, thanks for your answer. Anyway:

The database is correct.

The languages are correct.

I don't see these boxes (AAs, APr, etc) and I cannot make them appear. This is strange, I guess it's some kind of installation error, because when I try to activate any other toolbars apart from Standard and Project, all I get are empty toolbars except for a little icon called "Properties" with no effect at all.

Of course I've rebooted the system many times, with no result. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2, and I'm no newbie at all in computers (I've been around since DOS 3.0, working closely in different areas of computers). This is no simple and common error. It seems to be some error in the DVX system which I can't seem to solve. I think this is a DVX error mainly because of the empty toolbars and the impossibility to activate the AAs/APr/etc boxes. I cannot do it now (I'm in the middle of a project) but I guess I'll have to reinstall, and/or try the update (I'm using 7.0.238 and there's an update I think for 284).

If you or anyone comes out with a similar experience and/or solution and/or ideas, please write, I need to solve this!

Thanks!!!
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:25
English to German
+ ...
Status Boxes Aug 29, 2006

Martin Fernandez Cufre wrote:
I don't see these boxes (AAs, APr, etc) and I cannot make them appear ... I think this is a DVX error mainly because of the empty toolbars and the impossibility to activate the AAs/APr/etc boxes.

I just wanted to mention that these boxes are supposed to be in the status line at the bottom of the window, not in a toolbar. And they don't look clickable, although they are.

HTH,
Harry

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Update Aug 29, 2006

Martin Fernandez Cufre wrote:
I cannot do it now (I'm in the middle of a project) but I guess I'll have to reinstall, and/or try the update (I'm using 7.0.238 and there's an update I think for 284).

How did you get hold of 238 as a new user?
Build 284 is the current build, and it will probably not be a problem to update in mid project (unless you are working on PPT or XLS files - I can't remember which builds, but there were some changes in the filters at some point in the DVX history).
I have installed new builds in mid project several times, with no ill effects. There are a few patches for build 284, details at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/CAT-Tools/DéjàVu_X

But your description sounds as if DVX does not recognise your licence. Are you working with a temporary code (which you get for your free 30 day demo by asking Atril) or with a dongle?

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Tools->Options->Environment Aug 29, 2006

Did you try to enable the options using the main menu? If so, did the status bar change in any way?

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Aug 30, 2006

OK, it was some kind of problem with the activation code. DVX was working in some kind of basic mode in which most functions were disabled. Now everything's working OK.

I know that the boxes are not in a toolbar, but the little boxes weren't there at all in the bottom of the screen. Now everything's ok.

Thanks!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu X: Possible malfunction in auto functions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »