Can Deja Vu be used for Pagemaker files?
Thread poster: Markus Wahlgren
Markus Wahlgren
Markus Wahlgren  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:38
English to Swedish
Mar 9, 2007

Hello fellow translators!

I have now used the trial of Deja Vu X for about 20 days and I must say I really like it, especially the Lexicon feature and i want to use it instead of Trados, so I am considering buying it.

But - today I got a new project from a client consisting of .MIF-files. I think these are PageMaker files, correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried importing them into Deja Vu, and at first glance it looks pretty OK. But "pretty OK" is not goin
... See more
Hello fellow translators!

I have now used the trial of Deja Vu X for about 20 days and I must say I really like it, especially the Lexicon feature and i want to use it instead of Trados, so I am considering buying it.

But - today I got a new project from a client consisting of .MIF-files. I think these are PageMaker files, correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried importing them into Deja Vu, and at first glance it looks pretty OK. But "pretty OK" is not going to cut it, it needs to be perfect. It has some strange characters inserted, it actually looks like chinese symbols here and there.

Can you tell me if you have any experience in using MIF files in Deja Vu? If it is possible to use them, is there a special procedure to go about in importing them?

As a side note, the files imports perfectly to Trados TagEditor.

Grateful for any input!

[Edited at 2007-03-09 17:15]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
mif files = framemaker Mar 9, 2007

Dear Markus,
mif files are not pagemaker but framemaker files. And you can use Deja Vu to translate both framemaker and pagemaker files.
You can find detailed information in Déjà Vu X Professional Users' Guide pp. 303-316.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
should be OK Mar 9, 2007

I translated LOTS of mif files with DVX Professional. Make sure you select the correct import filter.
After finishing your work, you can simply export it and send it to the client.
Csaba

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Deja Vu be used for Pagemaker files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »