Problems with displaying .pptx-files after export
Thread poster: Anne Spitzmueller

Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:12
English to German
Oct 29, 2008

Hello,

I exported a couple a of .pptx wihtout problems but when I opened them I received the following message:

"Einige Texte, Bilder oder Objekte auf Folien in der Datei konnten von PowerPoint nicht angezeigt werden, da sie beschädigt wurden. Die betroffenen Folien wurden in der Präsentation durch leere Folien ersetzt. Die verlorenen Informationen können nicht wiederhergestellt werden. Verwenden Sie den Befehl "Speichern unter" (im Menü "Datei"), und speichern Sie die Datei mit dem gleichen oder einem neuen Namen, um sicherzustellen, dass die Datei in früheren Versionen von PowerPoint geöffnet werden kann."

Roughly in English: "Some of the texts, images or objects contained in the charts of this file were corrupted and could not be displayed by PowerPoint. These charts were replaced by empty charts in the translation. The lost data cannot be recovered. Use the command "Save as" (under "File") and save the file under the same or a new name, to ensure that the file can be opened in previous versions of PowerPoint."

Also, during the import of the files, I noticed that under "Properties" in the bottom corner on the right hand side of the screen, the options "Process master slides" and "Process notes" where not there. I think this has to do with the files being .pptx-files and not .ppt-files.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions how I can resolve this problem so that all slides of the presentation are displayed correctly after exporting them from Deja Vu X Professional.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Southon  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
DéjàVu and Powerpoint 2007 Nov 10, 2008

Hi Anne,

I'm no expert in DéjàVu and unfortunately can't help much with your problem, but I'm very interested to know if you've solved it or if anyone else can help. I translate a lot of powerpoint at a company which is right now considering buying a CAT tool. We've been told by DejaVu people that their latest version is fully compatible with Office 2007. Well, what else would they say? - but are you perhaps using an older version of DVX? I think they offer updates on their website.

I presume from what you say that the file exported mostly okay but you lost a few elements. What exactly was the element/s that DVX could not cope with?

Best of luck

Robert Southon

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados -> DVX -> Trados... Nov 11, 2008

Robert Southon wrote:

I'm no expert in DéjàVu and unfortunately can't help much with your problem, but I'm very interested to know if you've solved it or if anyone else can help. I translate a lot of powerpoint at a company which is right now considering buying a CAT tool.

Sometimes it's better to have more tools
Each of them has strong and weak points.

We've been told by DejaVu people that their latest version is fully compatible with Office 2007. Well, what else would they say? - but are you perhaps using an older version of DVX?

The PPT(X) filters were rewritten several times and they may behave in different way un different DVX builds.
A new build will be released promptly, AFAIK.

I think they offer updates on their website.

For free
Until a new major version is released...

I presume from what you say that the file exported mostly okay but you lost a few elements. What exactly was the element/s that DVX could not cope with?

I translate very few PPT(X) now but I almost always used to prepare the file in Trados (TTX), then translate in DVX.
The Trados PPT(X) filters are more flexible... although few people know they may be configured... it's a common approach of a standard Trados user...

For me, the ideal is to buy ONE Trados licence for the pre- and postprocessing and a bunch of DVX Pro for translation.
You get the best of both worlds.
I.e. some features in the import filters are better in Trados (e.g. I'm missing Excel verifier features in DVX) but the DVX translation environment is a monster.
When I must to switch to Tag Editor, I'm getting ill.

PS.
Some DVX filters are better than the Trados ones.
E.g. InDesign in Trados is a pain in the arse.

Cordialment
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-11 12:44]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pre and post with Trados? Nov 17, 2008

Grzegorz,

I'd really like to know what aspects of the pre and post translation processing you prefer Trados for, and why. Especially for PPT files - I presume your example, the Excel verifier feature , is for translating Excel although I have no idea...

I was actually in touch with DejaVu technical help today, regarding PPT 2007 which at present imports to DVX with a lot more codes than PPt pre-2007. They said that there will be a new version coming out with reduced codes...

cheers

Robert

French to Polish
+ ...
Trados -> DVX -> Trados (2) Nov 17, 2008

Robert Southon wrote:

I'd really like to know what aspects of the pre and post translation processing you prefer Trados for, and why. Especially for PPT files -

1) DVX don't process comments in PPT(X) files, you may force Trados to do it.
No comments :|

2) In Trados, you can change the order of the shapes processing (from left/from right, by row/by column), this feature is unavailable in DVX.
In fact, this option is important only for very complex slides.
But it may be a problem in the Anna's file.

3) In Trados, you can change the segmentation rules related to the soft/hard breaks, this feature is unavailable in DVX.
When you have a PPT(X) made by in idiot and formatted with hard line returns, you see the problem.
Of course, in DVX you can fix it manually (a great DVX feature) but in the Powerpoint files, it may be a lot of work.

I presume your example, the Excel verifier feature , is for translating Excel although I have no idea...

Yes.
E.g. DVX doesn't check the Excel sheet name lenght (max. 31 chars) and is unable to export the file when the translation is longer.

I was actually in touch with DejaVu technical help today, regarding PPT 2007 which at present imports to DVX with a lot more codes than PPt pre-2007.

Generally, the number od roque codes is too high now.

They said that there will be a new version coming out with reduced codes...

As I said, the guys improve

And a general remark:
The preprocessing in Trados gives you more flexibility related to codes in DVX (the TTX filter are really bulletproof).
The postprocessing in Trados permits to fix some quirks related to the word order and gives you more distance to the text you translate as the environment is completely different.
Tag Editor is a good revision environment but the translation in TE is a pain in the arse if you compare it to DVX.
No filtering, no sorting, no lexicon, no advanced Autoassembly features, no subsegments (portions) etc.
And no shortcut to go to the previous segment although it makes approx. 500 days SDL finally admitted it should be implemented
I don't mention all the ignominious details related to the shitty Multiterm programming I'm aware.

In fact, the Trados programmers analyse the text.
The DVX guys analyse rather the way the translators work.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-17 23:52 GMT]

Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@ Robert: Nov 18, 2008

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, no one had any suggestions how I could solve the problem (I inserted the missing text manually into the respective charts).

I had also contacted Atril support. They asked me to send them one of the source file which I did. They created a project with it and exported it, apparently without problems: “I have created a project with this file, and exported it, with no problems.”

I am not sure which element exactly DV could not cope with ... In the exported files the text in some of the charts was simply missing. A Powerpoint-expert who I asked for advice suggested that the problem may have been caused by the presentations itself. She pointed out that there were two masters defined in the presentations. Since I do not know a lot about Powerpoint I do not know if this did cause the problem.

I am afraid, this information was not of much help to you :-/.

Anne

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
off the charts, and under the tables... Nov 18, 2008

Anne,
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually surprised that DVX entered the charts at all, in the trials I've done, DejaVu doesn't touch the charts and they have to be translated manually. When you say you "inserted the lost words manually", was the chart still, after translation, a functioning embedded PPT chart that you have to double click on to work in? Or was it never like this?

Grzegorz,
More very useful comments, thanks. You mention the segmentation problem in DVX with hard/soft returns and say "you can fix it manually in DVX - a great DVX feature". I'm wondering what your manual approach is? I see there are a couple of workarounds possible (including simply working in PPT2007 which avoids the problem) - I think what I would do is cut and paste all the source text in one segment as it should have been, translate this segment, leave the other segments empty except for codes and don't send these other ones to the memory. Phew. Is you way easier?

AND ACTUALLY... I've just discovered this afternoon to my horror that DejaVu seems to destroy Powerpoint tables in the process of translating them! This is a serious infringement of the rights of tables to freely exist (and more to the point, is a major negative point against using DV in the firm where I work, where all powerpoint material must be maintained properly because of the likelihood of subsequent changes and recycling). I've also discovered that the problem is avoided by saving as PPT2007 files before translating! So, solved, sort of ...but this is not an approach I expected from Deja Vu!

It it all makes me a bit more suspicious - is there anything else about DV's processing of ppt files that I should know? Anne's charts question, for example?

French to Polish
+ ...
Trados -> DVX- > Trados (3) Nov 18, 2008

Robert Southon wrote:

Grzegorz,
More very useful comments, thanks. You mention the segmentation problem in DVX with hard/soft returns and say "you can fix it manually in DVX - a great DVX feature". I'm wondering what your manual approach is? [/quote]
In DVX you can join segments separated by hard returns (or other "external codes" in the Trados meaning).
Ctrl+J.
In TagEditor, you can't do it in any way.
Probably it's the reason you didn't even imagine to try it

I see there are a couple of workarounds possible (including simply working in PPT2007 which avoids the problem) - I think what I would do is cut and paste all the source text in one segment as it should have been, translate this segment, leave the other segments empty except for codes and don't send these other ones to the memory. Phew. Is you way easier?

Yep.
Ctrl+J
Ctrl+J
Ctrl+J

AND ACTUALLY... I've just discovered this afternoon to my horror that DejaVu seems to destroy Powerpoint tables in the process of translating them! This is a serious infringement of the rights of tables to freely exist (and more to the point, is a major negative point against using DV in the firm where I work, where all powerpoint material must be maintained properly because of the likelihood of subsequent changes and recycling).

I see.
But even in Trados, you can't assure a 100% recycling.
You MUST check the layout.
E.g., the Polish sentences are almost always longer than the English ones.
Normally, 20-25% but for shorter ones (e.g. slide titles), you may easily have up to 50%.
El català i el castellà segueixen el mateix principi
So, you must change the formatting manually.

I.e., after I export the text from Trados (TE), I always have a lot to changes to do.
It's a stupid work but you can't avoid it.
At least at the general purpose CAT level.
So why the translation offices don't want the exported PPT.
In this way, the layout changes are made only once AFTER the final edition.

PS.
A skilled programmer should do something with it.

BTW.
The PPT "tables" have nothing to do with true tables.
It's only an object containing grouped shapes.
You can't expect an intelligent comportment of this kind of object.
DVX can't fix the stupidity by design.
It's only a translation tool.

I've also discovered that the problem is avoided by saving as PPT2007 files before translating!

The "legacy" MS Office files were never intended as multilingual/translatable, so why many CATs experience serious problems with PPT files.
It's a crap.
The MS Office 2007 XML based approach is better.
Although the MS Office 2007 look and feel makes me puke.

So, solved, sort of ...but this is not an approach I expected from Deja Vu!

The PPT binary format is somehow stupid.
Many CATs suffer from it.

As I said, the DVX strenght is the work environment.
Some TE filters are better, some TE QA routines are better but it's the point where DVX can improve.
I hope it will
But I'm sure Trados will never improve in the core translation features.
The Trados approach is linear.
You translate sentence after sentence.
DVX gives you a 3D view.

PS.
Some DVX filters are better too.
E.g. DVX produces better DOC/RTF Workbench files than Trados.
So why I say you should take the best of both worlds.

It it all makes me a bit more suspicious - is there anything else about DV's processing of ppt files that I should know? Anne's charts question, for example?

Aa I said, I don't work on PPT(X) files now.
I almost always used the TTX-DVX-TTX workflow 'cause most of my PPT files were really huge (more than 100 megs, a lot of images etc).
The standard DVX setup supposes al the graphics are imported in the project with a WMF copy, so it may be very slow or even impossible to import this kind of file.
The images aren't embedded in the TTX file, so the TTX-DVX part of workflow is done in a moment.
Of course, you must wait some hours for the Trados preprocessing
Of course (2), a workaround exist for DVX (you can easily prevent the creation of the Windows metafile images at the operating system level, DVX acts just like the OS wants) but I can't use it for some compatibility reason.

BTW.
The OS comportment related to the WMF images is stupid.
It never worked correctly.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-18 23:30 GMT]

Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ppt / DVX issues Nov 20, 2008

@Gregorz mainly
Sorry for barging in on this discussion, but I have 2 questions:

- Is there any way to avoid dvx using a gazillion codes when importing a ppt file

An example: {62}Qu’est-ce{63} {64}que{65} la {66}notion{67} {68}d’account{69} {70}class{71} ?{72}

edit: hm, I read a bit more in this topic, so I guess this ought to improve with a new dvx build?

- I just imported a ppt 2007 file, but the text is all mixed up in dvx (it's not in the order it appears in the ppt file)

-> any way to avoid that?

edit 2: it did import the comments of the ppt though

[Edited at 2008-11-20 14:57 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Codes... text order... comments vs notes... Nov 20, 2008

Björn Houben wrote:

@Gregorz mainly
Sorry for barging in on this discussion, but I have 2 questions:

- Is there any way to avoid dvx using a gazillion codes when importing a ppt file

An example: {62}Qu’est-ce{63} {64}que{65} la {66}notion{67} {68}d’account{69} {70}class{71} ?{72}

You work on PPT or PPTX files?
If PPTX, try to save as PPT.

And try another CAT.
If you receive this kind of tags/codes in another tool, the problem is the formatting of the PPT(X) file.

edit: hm, I read a bit more in this topic, so I guess this ought to improve with a new dvx build?

I hope...

- I just imported a ppt 2007 file, but the text is all mixed up in dvx (it's not in the order it appears in the ppt file)

-> any way to avoid that?

No, I think.
The order depends of the structure of the PPT(X).
The structure (the order of the objects, coordinates of the anchor points etc.) doesn't correspond necessarily to the slide aspect.

edit 2: it did import the comments of the ppt though

You say comments or notes?
Notes (below the slide) are imported, the comments (on the slide), no.

I dunno how these English terms are translated in Dutch/Flemish Powerpoint but in French it's confusing 'cause only one term is used ("commentaires").

Cheers
GG

Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks for the answers Nov 20, 2008

- this one was a pptx file. Haven't upgraded my trados yet, but will do so this weekend to check out the difference

- comments/notes: yeah, i meant the ones below the slide, so I was confused as well

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with displaying .pptx-files after export

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search