.pdf and codes
Thread poster: JackieMcC
JackieMcC
Local time: 11:40
French to English
Jan 23, 2009

Hello,

Once or twice a year I am asked to update translations of 150 or so 6-page documents, all very similar. I've been using DVX to do this, with no particular problems.

However this time the end client sent .pdf files and insists it doesn't have the original word files (!). My client, an agency, is converting all the files into word and has apparently managed to clean them sufficiently for the other language translators to run them through Trados.

In DVX, however, all those pesky little codes are still there. I've tried saving the file down to an earlier version of word, which gets rid of some of them, but there are still so many that DVX is not recognising at least half of the segments for which 100% matches exist.

On other jobs when this has happened I've gone through and got rid of the codes, but it would take me longer to do this 150 times than it would to just work in word translating and cutting and pasting from one document to the next. Also, it would be very tricky as there are a lot of codes that need to stay - the layout of the original document is pretty complicated.

I'm just about resigned to forgetting DVX and doing this job the old way, in word, but that seems a shame - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

Direct link Reply with quote

Thomas Gohlke  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Word "rogue code" problem in DVX Jan 19, 2010

Hello Jackie,

This seems to be problem for many of us. I found a first solution which helps sometimes:

http://www.necco.ca/dv/word.htm#Rogue_codes

But, in many cases, this won't really solve the problem. The next step would be to use Openoffice, open the doc-file in the OpenOffice Writer and save it as an OpenOffice text document (.odt). This seems to work wonders sometimes when you import the file into DVx.

But, in some cases, you might run into a problem after exporting the translation from DVX. This usually occurs when some characters are left with a "█" in DVX. Apart from correcting these points, there also is a procedure to help somewhere on the Internet. But don't remember it very well right now.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and best regards from Hamburg

Thomas

[Bearbeitet am 2010-01-19 13:57 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-01-19 13:58 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
.pdf and codes Jan 19, 2010

JackieMcC wrote:

Hello,

Once or twice a year I am asked to update translations of 150 or so 6-page documents, all very similar. I've been using DVX to do this, with no particular problems.

However this time the end client sent .pdf files and insists it doesn't have the original word files (!). My client, an agency, is converting all the files into word and has apparently managed to clean them sufficiently for the other language translators to run them through Trados.

In DVX, however, all those pesky little codes are still there. I've tried saving the file down to an earlier version of word, which gets rid of some of them, but there are still so many that DVX is not recognising at least half of the segments for which 100% matches exist.

On other jobs when this has happened I've gone through and got rid of the codes, but it would take me longer to do this 150 times than it would to just work in word translating and cutting and pasting from one document to the next. Also, it would be very tricky as there are a lot of codes that need to stay - the layout of the original document is pretty complicated.

I'm just about resigned to forgetting DVX and doing this job the old way, in word, but that seems a shame - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

I am sorry to say you will find this kind of problems with every not MS-Word based CAT tool. You can try to use the following macro CodeZapper to clean the most of the rogue codes as neccos page explanations are quite old, but still valid. CodeZapper is a newer and better conversion of the FormatFixer macro.

If you are interested, I developed a procedure to translate pdf files without loosing the format (or at least, only a little), but it is an MS-Word based CAT tools one and you will need the full functional SolidConferterPDF application. You can see it here. Good luck!

[Editado a las 2010-01-20 13:34 GMT]

German to Spanish
+ ...
.pdf and codes Jan 20, 2010

JackieMcC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

Hi Jackie: As I did not get any feedback from you, should I guess CodeZapper did not help to solve the pdf rogue codes issue? TIA. Pablo B.

JackieMcC
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 21, 2010

Hello Pablo, Thomas,

thanks very much for your answers.

The strange thing is that I posted this query in January last year, 2009, and for some reason it only seems to have been displayed a year later !!

Last year, after trying a few things that didn't work, I did end up doing the job manually as putting the files through DVX was causing more problems than it was worth.

However, as I said this is a regular job and I also have similar, but smaller, jobs where codes cause problems. So next time I will try what you suggest and let you know what happens.

Thank you very much for sharing your macro with me Pablo, very kind.

Jackie

German to Spanish
+ ...
.pdf and codes Jan 22, 2010

JackieMcC wrote:

Hello Pablo, Thomas,

thanks very much for your answers.

The strange thing is that I posted this query in January last year, 2009, and for some reason it only seems to have been displayed a year later !!

Last year, after trying a few things that didn't work, I did end up doing the job manually as putting the files through DVX was causing more problems than it was worth.

However, as I said this is a regular job and I also have similar, but smaller, jobs where codes cause problems. So next time I will try what you suggest and let you know what happens.

Thank you very much for sharing your macro with me Pablo, very kind.

Jackie

Ooops, sorry for this. As I did not see any answer, I thought it was from january 2010. Have a nice weekend!

[Editado a las 2010-01-22 10:57 GMT]

Thomas Gohlke  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
.pdf and codes Mar 11, 2010

Dear Pablo,

Though it might have been late, this discussion was extremely helpful for me. I have tried CodeZapper on some translations now, and it helped me to avoid most code problems even in a major project full of all this rogue stuff in addition to codes for useful references ... It has become my standard procedure for Word files.

So, thank you very much for this hint. Un millón de gracias.

Best regards from Hamburg

Thomas

German to Spanish
+ ...
.pdf and codes Mar 11, 2010

Thomas Gohlke wrote:

Dear Pablo,

Though it might have been late, this discussion was extremely helpful for me. I have tried CodeZapper on some translations now, and it helped me to avoid most code problems even in a major project full of all this rogue stuff in addition to codes for useful references ... It has become my standard procedure for Word files.

So, thank you very much for this hint. Un millón de gracias.

Best regards from Hamburg

Thomas

Nichts zu danken!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.pdf and codes

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search