Deja Vu is getting slower and slower
Thread poster: Stefanie Reinhold

Stefanie Reinhold  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to German
+ ...
Jan 1, 2010

My Deja Vu application used to be rather fast and responsive. Now it takes a few seconds to navigate from one line to the next, especially in larger files. No more 'hammering on the keyboard' to complete lines.

What happened? My computer in general is not any slower. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks much for any pointers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Herbert Eppel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Goggomobil effect Jan 1, 2010

Hi Stefani
It sounds as if you are suffering from the dreaded Goggo effect - for background info see the archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/
Which version are you running?
Are you aware that build 316 was released as a Atril's Christmas present? Upgrading is recommended in any case, and the new build may well improve performance for you.
In addition, perhaps defragmenting your hard drive could also help if you haven't done this for a while.
Best regards

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:28
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Goggomobil effect? Jan 1, 2010

Hi Herbert,

Please clarify this goggo effect. I work with huge projects using 500,000+ TMs and large TDs but my DVX is not slow.

Some settings may cause DVX to run slower, e.g. Database Lookups Minimum Score, Display all subportions, Enable fuzzy terminology lookups, etc.

Suggestions:
Do not keep your TM and TD in Local Disk C (it is for the operating system and programs), keep them in D and frequently use Defrag.

Create a new TM and import your TM into this new one. IMO it is better than Repair and Compact functions.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Goggo effect is largely history Jan 1, 2010

Hi Selcuk
Fortunately, by and large the Goggo effect appears to have been consigned to the history books (perhaps I shouldn't even have brought it up here). It was (semi-affectionately) coined some time ago in recognition of (and in contrast to) the fact that DV fans generally value DV as the Ferrari among CAT tools.
Some users never really experienced the Goggo effect, but in some situations it was practically unbearable with pre-303 builds of DVX, probably in combination with underpowered hardware and excessively large TDBs.
In my case it was so bad that I remained a DV3 dinosaur for many years, although I've been a very happy DVX user for quite some time now, of course

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Build 316 - Heartstopping Moment Jan 1, 2010

Herbert Eppel wrote:

Are you aware that build 316 was released as a Atrils Christmas present?

I upgraded from build 303 (or so) using the Websetup.exe, and my dongle driver was gone! When I plugged in the dongle, Windows asked me for usbkey.sys from Dinkey Dongle bla bla, and I could not find any suitable solution via Google or DVX knowledgebase.

Fortunately, after downloading and installing the complete 80 MB package it worked again..

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dongle solution Jan 1, 2010

Hi Harry,

The solution is described here:

http://support.atril.com/disparticle.asp?InFrame=true&ID=158CIO
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/99048

Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:28
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Repair tool Jan 1, 2010

Hi Stefani,

You might also try to repair your databases (Tools/Repair).

Mexico
English to German
+ ...
USB Dongle Jan 2, 2010

Hi Selcuk,

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a USB dongle, while the mentioned solutions are for a parallel dongle. With the search terms of those articles I found this solution:

"http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/CAT-Tools/DéjàVu_X/Dongle_not_detected"

Maybe someone will need and try this one.

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
USB dongle and build upgrades Jan 2, 2010

Harry Bornemann wrote:
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a USB dongle

I used the 316 upgrade package.
When I restarted DVX, my USB dongle was also not recognised. But the solution was very simple:
- Close DVX (this step may not even be necessary, but I did it).
- Unplug the dongle.
- Insert the dongle.
- Let Windows do its thing to "install" the new hardware (in my case this is with Windows 7, but it probably works with other Windows versions too. Worth trying, anyway.
- Start DVX.

I did not need to reboot, start any dongle installation program or even click any buttons. All I had to do was unplug the USB dongle, wait a couple of seconds and plug it in again.
(For the record, the same procedure also worked for beta builds 314 and 315 a few days earlier).

Stefanie Reinhold  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Defragmenting helped Deja Vu slowness Jan 2, 2010

Thanks so much for all your good suggestions!

Thanks to you all I now have
a) installed the new version of Deja Vu
b) cleaned up/repaired my databases
c) defragmented my hard drive

Vistas automatic Defrag was turned off (I didn't realize) and after I ran an all night manual defrag Deja Vu got much more responsive.

Again, thanks to all for the great suggestions. I'm sure many folks will benefit from these tips.

I am now in good computer-shape for 2010!

Happy New Year!

Mexico
English to German
+ ...
The Windows Thing Jan 2, 2010

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

I used the 316 upgrade package.
When I restarted DVX, my USB dongle was also not recognised. But the solution was very simple:
- Close DVX (this step may not even be necessary, but I did it).
- Unplug the dongle.
- Insert the dongle.
- Let Windows do its thing to "install" the new hardware (in my case this is with Windows 7, but it probably works with other Windows versions too. Worth trying, anyway.
- Start DVX.

Thanks Victor,

I did try this with unplugging, replugging, and even rebooting, and then my Windows XP SP3 did try to "do its thing", asking me for usbkey.sys from Dinkey Dongle bla bla, offering the options to load it from the installation CD (which I never had), or to search and install it automatically from the internet (which I selected), but this was exactly the point were it did not work as it should, since it could not find the file.

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Run setupdrv.exe to resolve dongle recognition problems Jan 2, 2010

If the dongle isn't recognised, running setupdrv.exe - perhaps in combination with unplugging and re-inserting the dongle - will usually resolve the problem.

On Windows XP the default location where this utility can be found is C:\Program Files\ATRIL\Deja Vu X\Dongle

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Defragmentation and free space... Jan 5, 2010

Stefani Harper wrote:

Thanks so much for all your good suggestions!

Thanks to you all I now have
a) installed the new version of Deja Vu
b) cleaned up/repaired my databases
c) defragmented my hard drive

Vistas automatic Defrag was turned off (I didn't realize) and after I ran an all night manual defrag Deja Vu got much more responsive.

Another point, the NTFS volumes may get extremely fragmented and very slow if it's enough free space on 'em.
In this case, it getting very hard or nearly impossible to defragment 'em.
As I remember, it's a good practice to leave approx. 20% of free space to make the embedded Windows defrag (based on Diskeeper) to work smoothly.
The 20% valor was published some years ago in the Diskeeper white papers.

Cheers
GG

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
15% Jan 5, 2010

In Windows XP it is 15%, but it seems that it is important only for the C drive. I used defrag in other drives with free space less than 8%

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Probably Windows 2000 Jan 5, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

In Windows XP it is 15%, but it seems that it is important only for the C drive.

The 20% I quoted is from the Windows 2000 or NT epoch, I suppose

I used defrag in other drives with free space less than 8%

The problem is the file size too.
With several very large files, many iterations may be necessary.
E.g. I didn't manage to defragment my old server with 5-6% of free space and a lot of files like that.

No matter.
The disks are cheap now

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu is getting slower and slower

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search