Thread poster: Anne Spitzmueller

Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:36
Member (2005)
English to German
Jul 30, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I work with Deja Vu X 7.5.316 Professional. Today, I tried to import some aspx.resx.ttx.itd files I was sent by a client via DV X Project Explorer but to no avail. After right-clicking on the file name and pressing the "import" button a window titled "Import Errors" was displayed saying "Deja Vu X was unable to import the following files: ...".

Has anyone managed to import this kind of files? Or do you have any ideas what I could try to import the files? The client would like the files to be delivered as ITDs or TTX files ...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions in advance!

Best,
Anne

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-30 20:27 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Lost in conversion... Jul 30, 2010

A. Spitzmüller wrote:

I work with Deja Vu X 7.5.316 Professional. Today, I tried to import some aspx.resx.ttx.itd files I was sent by a client via the DV X Project Explorer but to no avail. After right-clicking on the file name and pressing the "import" button a window titled "Import Errors" was displayed saying "Deja Vu X was unable to import the following files: ...".

Has anyone managed to import this kind of files? Or do you have any ideas what I could try to import the files? The client would like the files to be delivered as ITDs or TTX files...

The ITD workflow is simply unreliable.
Ask the client for TTX files.

BTW, the aspx.resx.ttx.itd extension seems crazy.
Are you sure somebody converted these files three times in order to receive ITD files?
I don't believe my eyes...

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
New problem with codes Jul 30, 2010

Thanks Grzegorz,

I solved the problem described above by converting the aspx.resx.ttx.itd files to aspx.resx.ttx files using SDL Edit. After this, I was able to import the files into DV.

Unfortunately, now there is a new problem. The translation column contains the source text enclosed in codes, one at the beginning and one at the end of each row. There are no codes in the source text column though which means each row is marked with a red warning sign indicating wrong codes.

Do you know how to deal with this? Is it safe to delete all the codes? Or should I rather not touch them ...

Thanks again,
Anne

French to Polish
+ ...
False alarms... Jul 30, 2010

A. Spitzmüller wrote:

Unfortunately, now there is a new problem. The translation column contains the source text enclosed in codes, one at the beginning and one at the end of each row. There are no codes in the source text column though which means each row is marked with a red warning sign indicating wrong codes.

Do you know how to deal with this? Is it safe to delete all the codes? Or should I rather not touch them...

Two approaches are possible.
For TTX files, in the default setup, DVX adds often pairs of unnecessary codes at the beginning/end of the segment.
In most cases you can leave 'em, the red warning is only a false alarm.
I leave 'em in small files but I prefer delete 'em in the big ones 'cause it's easier to find the real errors or intentional omissions.

Just export your files and check 'em in TagEditor.
If you can open and export 'em correctly, it's OK.

A registry patch is/was available somewhere in the DVX knowledge base, it permits to reduce the number of unnecessary codes but it may break the compatibility with the unpatched machines AFAIK.
I didn't test it thoroughly, I can stand the added codes issue.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-07-30 21:10 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Code pages... Jul 30, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

For TTX files, in the default setup, DVX adds often pairs of unnecessary codes at the beginning/end of the segment.

It happens mainly when the source and target language default code page don't match.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks once more, Jul 31, 2010

your advice is very helpful. But at least I know know that the addition of codes in the traget column in DV is more or less normal and that it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the files.

Unfortunately, I don't have TagEditor though. I am thinking about simply copying the target column of the larger ITDs that in TTX format would produce a lot of codes in DV into a DOC file and then importing the DOC file into DV ...

Regards,
Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing aspx.resx.ttx.itd files into Deja Vu X Professional

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search