Michel A.
Michel A.  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
May 24, 2012

Hello,

I use Deja Vu Professional 7.5.335 and I'd like to analyze an English Excel file (to be translated later on in French). I created a project, a .dvmdb and a .dvtdb which are obviously empty at this stage.

When I try to use the Analyse feature it produces a table full of zeros.

How should I proceed to derive the number of « Exact », « Duplicate » and « 99% » words in my original file without any reference to an existing database.

Hel
... See more
Hello,

I use Deja Vu Professional 7.5.335 and I'd like to analyze an English Excel file (to be translated later on in French). I created a project, a .dvmdb and a .dvtdb which are obviously empty at this stage.

When I try to use the Analyse feature it produces a table full of zeros.

How should I proceed to derive the number of « Exact », « Duplicate » and « 99% » words in my original file without any reference to an existing database.

Help!

Thanks,

Michel
Collapse

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Local time: 03:39
Import May 24, 2012

Did DVX import any words from the original document? If so, since the Analysis always counts words in the source language, it should at the very least display the total number of words in the spreadsheet under the "No match" category.

[Edited at 2012-05-24 12:08 GMT]

Michel A.
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lbenito May 25, 2012

Of course I imported the file (I have been using DVX - though only basic features - for several years now).

I just want to analyze the original English document against an empty TM, and you are right the feature returns only "No match" and THAT IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM.

For example, I have dozens of lines in my English document which are very similar (or even identical) with only very small differences (for example a question mark instead of a full stop) and I want to take
... See more
Of course I imported the file (I have been using DVX - though only basic features - for several years now).

I just want to analyze the original English document against an empty TM, and you are right the feature returns only "No match" and THAT IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM.

For example, I have dozens of lines in my English document which are very similar (or even identical) with only very small differences (for example a question mark instead of a full stop) and I want to take that into account and charge my client - as agreed - only 25% of my rate for all these repetitions or 99% fuzzies.
Collapse

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Local time: 03:39
No Match May 29, 2012

The purpose of the Analysis function is to predict how much leverage Déjà Vu will obtain from the attached TMs when translating the current project. The Analysis returns a certain number of segments in each category if, after comparing the project to the TMs it determines that a pre-translation using the attached TMs would give that result. Therefore, if you attach a TM that contains no matches to segments in the project, or not TM at all, the Analysis will return all segments in the No Match ... See more
The purpose of the Analysis function is to predict how much leverage Déjà Vu will obtain from the attached TMs when translating the current project. The Analysis returns a certain number of segments in each category if, after comparing the project to the TMs it determines that a pre-translation using the attached TMs would give that result. Therefore, if you attach a TM that contains no matches to segments in the project, or not TM at all, the Analysis will return all segments in the No Match category.

It sounds like what you want is the "Intra-project" analysis option, which is available in DVX2. This will take into account the internal repetition in the project. If there are several segments that are similar, with this option DVX2 will count the first of these segments as "No Match" and the rest as exact or fuzzy matches.
Collapse

Michel A.
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lbenito May 29, 2012

This is what I wanted to know, contrary to Trados or SDLX, DVX - at least DVX "1" - does not know to perform an analysis against an empty TM (what you call an internal analysis). Good to hear that DVX 2 fixes that drawback.

Michel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to analyze a file against an empty TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »