Thread poster: Adam Łobatiuk

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:16
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2012

I sometimes use DVX 2 to work on doc or rtf documents that need to be returned as Trados bilingual files. I import them as presegmented Trados Workbench files. I have noticed that the displayed text of hyperlinks is sometimes inaccessible and only presented as codes. Can I do something about it, or can I only fix this in exported files manually?

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Quickstart doc for TTX handling Jul 2, 2012

Hi Adam,

In the File section of the Yahoo groups there is a quickstart guide which describes in detail the steps and the solution for possible problems encountered when handling TTX files with DVX2. To access the file section, you must register to this group. It's here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/messages

Hyperlinks should be displayed, I have no idea why they don't in your case. But:
If you own Workbench (Trados 2007), why don't you chose to export to TMX? DVX2 can handle TMX files directly in any project and you would possibly have to deal with much less codes, also your hyperlink problem would go away.

Greets,
Mike

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Mike Jul 2, 2012

Thanks a lot, Mike! Unfortunately, the problem does not apply to TTX files but to DOC/RTF Word files that have been presegmented with Workbench (I do have Trados as well). My clients want bilingual doc/rtf files back and that's why I work with this format. There are actually not so many codes when you import such files, but hyperlinks are unpredictable. It seems that I only get codes when hyperlinks are part of a segment, but text is displayed when a hyperlink is a segment on its own. I'm not sure, hovewer, this is always the case.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Doesn't matter as long as you export to TMX Jul 2, 2012

Adam,

it's the same procedure with bilingual doc/Rtf files: open them with TagEditor, fill a TM in WB and export to DVX.

Try this one:

[EDITED]

- Save your original bilingual doc/rtf files
- Open with TagEditor and save as TTX
- Create a TM and pretranslate TTX "segment unknown sentences"
- Tools > Clean Up with "Update TM"
- export to TMX

You can import this TMX into your project and work in DVX.
When you are finished in DVX make sure there are no code errors.

- Create a new TM in Workbench
- Import your translated TMX
- Workbench > Tools > Pretranslate : Add your original files (whatever files you started with) and pretranslate. Voilà.

When working with DVX, all Trados codes should remain in the TMX, DVX will only present to you translatable text including hyperlinks (why should they not?!).

[ADDED]
In TagEditor, if you cannot save a TTX file as Trados bilingual doc/rtf (I don't remember, I mostly work in DVX2 icon_smile.gif ), you must then open your original doc/rtf file and manually open the first segment and "translate to fuzzy" which should then pass from the 2nd segment to the end and fill all with exact matches.

Mike

[Edited at 2012-07-02 18:56 GMT]

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX workflow Jul 2, 2012

Mike, I'm sure your solution works. The problem is that it adds 2 intermediate formats, which should not be necessary. There is a Trados Workbench filter in DVX2, and it should work correctly. Apparently, it hasn't done so for 7 years now, as Translating_Word_documents_with_TWB_and_DVX.pdf in the Yahoo group DVX files section, posted in 2005, says:

"D. Post-process in Word/TWB
For the time being (release 7.0.238), DVX doesn't always handle fields correctly. You will
have to check that all fields are correct in the export file. Look for example for:
• Hyperlinks
• Table numbers
• Page numbers"

They need to be checked, indeed. Another thing that needs to be checked is bullet points, especially in tables - they sometimes remain untranslated in target doc files exported from DVX2.

I tried reproducing the problem by composing a new Word file with hyperlinks. The text shows ok, no matter what I do. Still, it doesn't show in some files I'm working on now, and I'm afraid I can't show them. I'll keep you posted if I discover something new.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
In my docs: no missing (or hiding) hyperlinks Jul 2, 2012

Adam,
I've just opened some projects of mine where I had to start / deliver in Trados format. Although these docs were all ttx at the start (not bilingual doc/rtf), I can find all hyperlinks in my project files, no one missing or hiding by just displaying codes: they show up as plain text http\\ .... without any codes.

Just to avoid any problems, I generally use the method above and I have only to do minimal editing in Trados afterwards to keep compatibility. You can import bilingual docs or TTX directly in DVX2, but then as the Quickstart document states this is not 100% foolproofed, that's why I'm not using it.

As a pure coincidence (nothing to do with your post here!), I have posted this method on the Yahoo Group little time before in order to collect opinions about any incompatibility issues this TMX method could have, which I believe don't exist.

Also make a post at the Yahoo Group: there are DVX2 users (much more competent than I am) that will answer you in no time.

Good luck,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
You can save to bilingual doc/rtf at the end only for your convenience Jul 2, 2012

Adam,

this problem has risen my curiosity, so I've run a little experiment with a Word file (heavy formated, hyperlinks and tables included).

You are fully right: if you start with bilingual doc/rtf files, only codes will show in DVX2, wether you use the TMX route above or import directly.
But is this a bug? You never have to translate hyperlinks?!
Anyway...

You can get arround of that:
Just transform anything into TTX and import into DVX2 (or go the route above); if you start with bilingual docs, just clean them up first.
Importing TTX (or TMX) into DVX2 should show you everything, I hope ...

At the end, you create bilingual docs to deliver by pretranslating your original files, but first you chose

Workbench > Translation memory options > tools
Here you check "TRADOStag XML workflow for Workbench RTF files" (the left one)

This will transform your Word doc into a billingual Trados doc to deliver; In Word, just chose Highlight hidden text to see the Trados code.

Mike

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Mike Jul 2, 2012

Thanks a lot Mike, I'll try that. Sometimes you do need to translate hyperlink text - for example when the link is a word - click {0}here{0}, in our recent {0}press release{0} and so on.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No Jul 5, 2012

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

I sometimes use DVX 2 to work on doc or rtf documents that need to be returned as Trados bilingual files. I import them as presegmented Trados Workbench files. I have noticed that the displayed text of hyperlinks is sometimes inaccessible and only presented as codes. Can I do something about it, or can I only fix this in exported files manually?

You can't.
It's a weakness of the DVX bilingual Trados filter.
Generally, the bilingual DOC/RTF workflow is a very bad idea for heavily formatted documents.
The hyperlink content is just one example, it's a lot of other quirks e.g. Workbench itself screws up the non standard colors and replaces 'em by the 16 colour 40 year old CGA palette icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hyperlink text in Trados Workbench segmented doc files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search