Thread poster: MOTS

MOTS  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:29
French to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 11, 2012

Hi!

Although I can convert a word file easily into a Déjà Vu project, I just don't seem to be able to export a Déjà Vu project back into a docx file. Can anyone help me please?
I have Déjà Vu X2, latest version.

Thanks!
Marijke

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
codes? Jul 12, 2012

MOTS wrote:

Although I can convert a word file easily into a Déjà Vu project,

You added and imported a Word 2007/2010 file (docx), and completed the translation,

I just don't seem to be able to export a Déjà Vu project back into a docx file.

and now want to export the translated file. I assume you know how to export a translated file (in Project Explorer, right-click on the file and Export Translated File or right-click on the Project Name and Export Translated Project).

Any error message? Did you check the embedded codes? Did you read http://www.proz.com/forum/déjà_vu_support/228445-export_a_translated_file.html

I have Déjà Vu X2, latest version.

Latest build of Déjà Vu X2 is 8.0.572, and what is your version (Workgroup, Professional, Editor)? Please note that in the free Editor version you cannot Export Files from Project.

Well, you already imported a Word document so your version is either WG or Professional. So it is possibly a problem related with the embedded codes (either missing or placed in wrong order).

Selcuk

MOTS  Identity Verified
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pro version 555 Jul 12, 2012

Thank you Selcuk for your information and help. I checked out your earlier explanations (link you added) before I posted my question.

I have DV pro, version 555. But don't tell me that 555 doesn't let you export files whereas 572 does! My support is windows 7, I don't know if that makes any difference.

For the moment I'm just trying it out on sample translations before I start 'real' jobs with it.
The thing is that I understood your point about the embedded codes and I followed your explanations. DV exported the file alright, but I found it back as .rtf file and not a docx. ??????? And, it was all in colums. Finally, it took me more time to import, export and put the translation back into it's original lay-out than to translate altogether!

Best regards,
Marijke

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
External View :) Jul 12, 2012

MOTS wrote:

The thing is that I understood your point about the embedded codes and I followed your explanations. DV exported the file alright, but I found it back as .rtf file and not a docx. ??????? And, it was all in colums. Finally, it took me more time to import, export and put the translation back into it's original lay-out than to translate altogether!

Hi Marijke,

You did not export your project or translated file but exported to External View (which is used for external proofreading, or sending files to translators who do not have DVX). It is a feature first implemented by DVX in the CAT tools industry.

In the Help file (F1) please read Workflow > Phase VI > Export

Selcuk

[Edited at 2012-07-12 15:04 GMT]

MOTS  Identity Verified
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 12, 2012

Thank you Selcuk, I'll do that. Indeed, I exported it in External View format. The only way to see something back of my work!

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I have already explained it above Jul 12, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I assume you know how to export a translated file (in Project Explorer, right-click on the file and Export Translated File or right-click on the Project Name and Export Translated Project).

Hope you will be able to export your project now

That said, the External View (EV) format is great if you receive partially translated files (with tables) in Word or in Excel formats.

You simply hide the translated column in Word or change font colour to red in Excel, thus translations are not imported. Then export your project to External View, copy the translations from the original file and reimport EV file.

sentrodil
Turkey
ex/import with empty comments Jul 24, 2012

Dear Selçuk,

I have Deja Vu X2 (v. 8.0.505), and when I try to export to external view, it complains about the comment being empty and stops exporting. How can I export into EV without having to ass some dummy text into comments - or is there a batch entry for comments possible?

Thanks in advance!

Ömer

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SQL command Jul 24, 2012

Hi Ömer,

It seems that you are using the Professional version, you can use the following SQL command to add "My Comment" to all empty targets.

In DVX2 click on Project Menu, Execute SQL... and type:

UPDATE Pairs SET Comments_XXXX = "My Comment" WHERE Target_XXXX = ''

You need to press on Sort Alphabetically button twice to refresh the page.

By the way you are not using the latest public build 572. Since build 505, many new features were added in each new build (519, 533, 555 and now 572).

Selçuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting DV file into Word file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search