New Project Wizard: Doesn't import translation memories
Thread poster: Moisejp

Moisejp
Local time: 18:36
Jul 18, 2012

Hello.

I am using Deja Vu X 1 version 7.5.338. Today when I have tried creating a new project using the New Project Wizard, I have gone through all the steps as usual, including specifying the location and name, specifying the target language, and specifying the translation memories and terminology database. Then, when I click Finish, to begin importing files, no files get imported (there's no action in the little bar showing importing at the bottom of the Completing the New Project Wizard screen). Usually "(Not Responding)" temporarily appears, but maybe sometimes it doesn't. Finally, a .dvprj file is generated, but it is empty--there is no imported memory in it.

In the past, I have had problems with Deja Vu sometimes crashing or not responding (not necessarily doing this particular procedure). But until now if I restarted the computer, it started working again. And until today the New Project Wizard has always worked fine. I am a relative newbie, though, and haven't been using Deja Vu very long.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:36
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TM or project files Jul 19, 2012

Your title says translation memory but you are trying to import a translatable file into your project?! Assuming that you are trying to import a translatable file into your project can you please specify the file format (doc, docx, xls, xlsx, etc.), your DVX version (standard, professional, workgroup), your OS (Windows XP, Vista, 7 or MAC) and if it is an MS Office file your Office suite (2003, 2007, 2010).

Selcuk

Moisejp
TOPIC STARTER
.dvmdb files containing .xml files Jul 19, 2012

Dear Selcuk,

Thank you very much for responding to my inquiry.

I use Deja Vu X Workgroup, and Windows 7 in the Office 2010 suite. The files to import are various Deja Vu translation memory (.dvmdb) files which contain .xml files.

Regards,

Moise

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
perhaps I need more coffee Jul 19, 2012

Moisejp wrote:

I use Deja Vu X Workgroup, and Windows 7 in the Office 2010 suite. The files to import are various Deja Vu translation memory (.dvmdb) files which contain .xml files.

Hi Moise,

dvmdb files are translation memory files as you have mentioned, but what about those xml files? Are you sure they are not dvmdx and dvmdi files? Normally the smallest file has dvmdx extension. Please check file extensions, perhaps an additional .xml was added by your mail program. In that case just delete that .xml part.

And if you solve that extensions problem, you will have a ready-to-use TM, no need to import into your existing TM. You can use unlimited TM and TBs with the Workgroup version.
That said (after you solve the extensions problem) you can import it into your TM as well. But after import check the source and target languages in the drop-down lists.

Selcuk

Moisejp
TOPIC STARTER
You're right about file types, but doesn't solve my problem Jul 19, 2012

Hi Selcuk,

I think you're right that they are .dvmbi and/or .dvmbx files. But that doesn't solve my problem. What I am trying to do is create a Deja Vu X Project (.dvprj) file, so that I can have the content of my English HMX file sent off to translators to get translated.

The process I have learned for this (and which has worked until now) is to first create the Project file (.dvprj) by importing my existing .dvmdb files. Then I import English .xml files from my HMX file. Then I select Pretranslate in the Project file, and it matches all existing .dvmbi/.dvmbx translations with the .xml strings. Then whatever doesn't have a match gets translated by the translator via a .dvsat file. As far as I know, all of the other steps still work fine. It's just the first step that isn't working (importing the .dvmdb files when I try to make a Project file).

Thanks again for any ideas you may have.

Moise

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
something wrong in your workflow Jul 20, 2012

Hi Moise,

You don't add/import .dvmdb files as translatable files.

You first specify (add/create) the TM and TB, then add Client/Subject details, and finally specify the location of source files to add (and import) them.

So, when creating a new project you don't import TMs but add existing ones or create a new blank TM.

By the way I have never seen a HMX file (Help & Manual?), how do you convert it into xml?

Moisejp
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation of the steps you're telling me Jul 23, 2012

Hi Selcuk,

Thank you again for helping me with this. Could I go through step by step of what I'm doing (and what I think maybe you're telling me I should be doing) and confirm whether I understand correctly?

I open Deja Vu X > File > New > Project > click OK. The New Project Wizard opens.

I click Next > Create > type in a file name > Save > Next.

I add the language > Next.

The Specify a Translation Memory screen comes up. I select all of the TMs I need using the Add Local TM button > Next.

Add Local TDB > Next.

Now I come to the Specify Location of Source Files screen. In the procedure I had been following (which seemed to be working fine until recently, but possibly I'm just confused) I didn't have to do anything on this screen, i.e. I just clicked Next without adding any. But you are suggesting I should specify a location of source files here. So, I am selecting XML__Source.xml. > Next.

I come to the Specify Client and Subject screen, which is apparently optional. I haven't been doing anything on this screen. > Next.

Completing the New Project Wizard screen. I click Finish, to begin importing files.

It says "The wizard successfully imported 0 files." which is undoubtedly not what I want to be happening. > Close.

The XML_Source.xml appears in the project file, but when I click on it, it's empty.

(Before, when I wasn't adding anything on the Specify Location of Source Files screen, the whole process was the same, except there was no "The wizard successfully imported 0 files." message. I believe until recently what was happening was that it was adding the translation memories, and that these showed in the project file at the end. But in the last several days, when it has stopped working for me, the project file has appeared to just be empty at the end.)

Would you be able to tell me where in that process I'm possibly going wrong?

In answer to your question, yes, at my company we use Help & Manual. When you compile a help file, you can select different output formats, including .chm, .hlp, .html, .pdf, .xml and others.

Thank you,

Moise

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
all steps correct, except one Jul 23, 2012

Now I come to the Specify Location of Source Files screen. In the procedure I had been following (which seemed to be working fine until recently, but possibly I'm just confused) I didn't have to do anything on this screen, i.e. I just clicked Next without adding any. But you are suggesting I should specify a location of source files here. So, I am selecting XML__Source.xml. > Next.

You can select (add and import) files during project creation or after your project is created.

But one step missing I think, you have to select a Filter Definition File for xml files.

OpenOffice filter located in Filters folder works for most xml files but for some xml files you should create your own filter. To create one, open File>New>SGML/XML Filter...

HTH,

Selcuk

Moisejp
TOPIC STARTER
Looking forward to trying out your idea Jul 27, 2012

Hi Selcuk,
How are you? Thanks again for taking the time to offer suggestions. I've actually been really swamped this week with other duties (besides being the localization coordinator here, I'm also the technical writer) and haven't had a chance to look into trying out your latest one. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon, maybe next week if possible. Anyway, I'll let you know if it works.

Take care, and have a great weekend.

Moise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Project Wizard: Doesn't import translation memories

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search