Thread poster: Sarah McDowell

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:48
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2013

I would like to know if it is possible to format text in the target language. For example, I would like to make some words italic that are not italic in the source text. I know Deja Vu hides the formatting with tags. I searched for an "italics" button with no luck. So can anyone please tell me if it is possible to make something italic?

Thanks,
Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:48
English to Czech
+ ...
Not possible, AFAIK Jan 7, 2013

Hello Sarah,
as far as I know, direct formatting is not possible in DVX2. However, please take this info with a pinch of salt as there are much more experienced DVX2 users here.

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 10:48
English to Chinese
There is a way Jan 7, 2013

Hi Sarah,

I am not an experienced DVX2 user, but this question was asked in the Dejavu Yahoo forum a few months ago. I am pasting the workaround someone suggested here:

==
if there is a lot of formatting to add - I make a sample document and import that as an extra document to my project
then I can copy and paste pairs of codes as I wish - but always keep codes balanced in the source and target or you'll have problems exporting!
==

From what I understood, you basically create a dummy file with the specific formatting you want, and add this file to your project. Then you can "borrow" the codes from that file to the file where you want the special formatting applied. Remember to add these codes on the source side (I would guess add them at the end of the segment) to make the codes balanced.

You may want to join in this Dejavu group on Yahoo. It's very useful:)

Chun-yi

PS. I am not sure if you can access this link: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/117359

Sarah McDowell wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to format text in the target language. For example, I would like to make some words italic that are not italic in the source text. I know Deja Vu hides the formatting with tags. I searched for an "italics" button with no luck. So can anyone please tell me if it is possible to make something italic?

Thanks,
Sarah

[Edited at 2013-01-07 15:26 GMT]

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:48
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 7, 2013

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
if there is a lot of formatting to add -

Dear Chun-yi,

Thanks for your help. There is not a lot of formatting to add, just a few words. So I think the procedure that you suggest is too complicated for the amount of words that I need to make italic. I will just format them after completing the translation in Deja Vu.

It is too bad that we can't control formatting in Deja Vu. I like this program a lot but this is definitely a drawback for me.

Sarah

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 10:48
English to Chinese
I agree with you Jan 7, 2013

Hi Sarah,

With my target language, I need to move things around. Sometimes one phrase in the source text may be broken down into two phrases in Chinese. When this phrase comes with special formatting such as bold, it becomes difficult for me to process in DVX.

This is the main reason I gave up on DVX2 after trying it out for some time. It may work well with other languages, but it's really not an ideal tool for me as an English to Chinese translator.

Chun-yi

Sarah McDowell wrote:

It is too bad that we can't control formatting in Deja Vu. I like this program a lot but this is definitely a drawback for me.

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting in Deja Vu X2

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search