Non Atril software to read old DVX TMs?
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 14:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2013

Hi. I have a few TMs created with a trial version of DVX some years ago. I would now like to read them and rescue terminology from them. Is there any program besides proprietary Atril software that would do the job?

TIA

Reed


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Finnish to French
DVX2 trial Mar 13, 2013

Have you tried installing a DVX2 trial? If possible, that would be the easiest way to export your TM's to TMX.

Even if you are still using the same computer onto which you installed the DVX trial several years ago, chances are you'd be able to install the DVX2 trial, since it's a different version. And if it's not possible, you can always install the trial on another computer, or if you don't have one, on a virtual machine.


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
ApSIC Xbench Mar 13, 2013

Hi Reed

You can use the free version ApSIC Xbench (2.9).
http://www.xbench.net/index.php/download

But why don't you give a try to the new DVX2?

Selcuk


 

trhanslator (X)
MDB? Mar 13, 2013

Reed D James wrote:

Hi. I have a few TMs created with a trial version of DVX some years ago. I would now like to read them and rescue terminology from them. Is there any program besides proprietary Atril software that would do the job?

TIA

Reed


Are you talking about the *.MDB files here? Or about exported tab-delimited text files?

Hans


 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
French to Polish
+ ...
MDB in XBench... Mar 13, 2013

trhanslator wrote:

Reed D James wrote:

Hi. I have a few TMs created with a trial version of DVX some years ago. I would now like to read them and rescue terminology from them. Is there any program besides proprietary Atril software that would do the job?


Are you talking about the *.MDB files here? Or about exported tab-delimited text files?


DVMDB.
E.g. see an image at http://www.xbench.net/
Probably it works correctly now in the 3.x versions which are Unicode enabled (I didn't test it).
XBench 2.x produced corrupt diacritics for most language pairs.
The export is strictly bilingual i.e. if your TM contains multiple languages, you'll need to export separately every language pair.

Cheers
GG


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
buying DVX2 makes sense Mar 13, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Probably it works correctly now in the 3.x versions which are Unicode enabled (I didn't test it).
XBench 2.x produced corrupt diacritics for most language pairs.
The export is strictly bilingual i.e. if your TM contains multiple languages, you'll need to export separately every language pair.

Cheers
GG


1-year subscription for the new version of Xbench will be EUR 99 (EUR 79 until March 18), on the other hand you can buy DVX2 at EUR 250 http://www.proz.com/tgb/730

Different tools of courseicon_smile.gif


 

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 14:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try the demo Mar 13, 2013

At one time, I was testing several CATs, and DVX was one of them. I, for one am a Wordfast Pro user and am content with it. I hadn't thought about the demo, because a lot of supposedly proprietary file formats can be opened in Notepad and other available programs.

So I will give the demo a try since I have only about 2 or 3 DVX TMs.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non Atril software to read old DVX TMs?

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search