https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/245551-how_to_change_the_direction_of_a_tm.html

How to change the direction of a TM
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:44
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Mar 20, 2013

Dear All,

When I work in Trados and I need to change the language direction of a TM (say, from BG-EN to EN-BG) I have to first export the data from the old TM, start a new TM, set it with the new language direction, and then import the data from the old one into it.

Is the process the same with Déjà vu X2? Or can on TM be used for both directions?

Kind Regards,
PTs

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:44
German to English
+ ...
As easy as falling off a log Mar 20, 2013

In DVX2 you can simply attach the TM to the project, and it will be used with the same language direction as the project. No preparatory steps necessary.

On several occasions, I have even worked at the same time on projects in different directions (i.e. one German-English project and at the same time one English-German project), using the same TM and termbase, and I have not noticed any problems. For example, I can tell one project to pre-translate the material calling on the databa
... See more
In DVX2 you can simply attach the TM to the project, and it will be used with the same language direction as the project. No preparatory steps necessary.

On several occasions, I have even worked at the same time on projects in different directions (i.e. one German-English project and at the same time one English-German project), using the same TM and termbase, and I have not noticed any problems. For example, I can tell one project to pre-translate the material calling on the databases, and while that is happening I can go to the other project and translate manually.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados victim :) Mar 21, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

When I work in Trados and I need to change the language direction of a TM (say, from BG-EN to EN-BG) I have to first export the data from the old TM, start a new TM, set it with the new language direction, and then import the data from the old one into it.

Is the process the same with Déjà vu X2? Or can on TM be used for both directions?

A Trados victim

Of course, the DVX TM is bi- or rather multidirectional.
You should only tick the Reverse case when adding a TM to the project.

BTW, a TM may contain multiple language versions (e.g. FR-BR, FR-FR etc.) and multiple languages (FR, EN, ES, IT, PL etc.).
Personally, I use multilingual TMs, they're easier to manage for a freelance i.e. I have less databases but for very complex workflows im may make sense to use separate TMs.
I use bilingual TMs only for reference data (TMs provided by the customer, DGT etc.).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-03-21 07:58 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Reverse check-box Mar 21, 2013

Hi Pavel,

When you create a project you will see that there are three check-boxes for each TM, Read, Write and Reverse.

Configurable reversal of Translation Memories
In many cases, Déjà Vu X’s existing automatic reversal of translation memory data is extremely useful; however, there are some scenarios where, particularly when reusing previous translations ... See more
Hi Pavel,

When you create a project you will see that there are three check-boxes for each TM, Read, Write and Reverse.

Configurable reversal of Translation Memories
In many cases, Déjà Vu X’s existing automatic reversal of translation memory data is extremely useful; however, there are some scenarios where, particularly when reusing previous translations provided third parties, you may find that the quality of the translation in one direction is acceptable, but in the reverse direction it is next to useless. In situations like these, you can instruct Déjà Vu X to only use translations in the direction in which they were originally added to the translation memory.
To do this, simply open the project properties window, select the Databases tab, and use the Reverse checkboxes in the list of translation memories.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the direction of a TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »