Thread poster: Hynek Palatin

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:33
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 20, 2004

Hi,

I would like to hear your opinions on SDLX vs. DVX. Which one do you prefer and why?

I am looking for a second CAT tool to use as a supplement (or maybe replacement) to Trados for technical translations. I am currently evaluating the trial version of SDLX and I will do the same with DVX, but I would like to know what experienced users think.

I've read about the Assemble feature of Deja Vu. Is it really that great?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 20, 2004

80% of my clients require Trados, I have bought it in January 1999 and then many updates. Now I also have DV3, DVX, SDLX, Transit and Wordfast, and I complete all translation I can (included all Trados translations) with DVX.
I find I cannot do without sending terms while I translate and then have them assembled (for example in these minutes: Stempelfutter = portapunzone, Justiervorrichtung = dispositivo di registrazione etc. which occur many times in the current job) AND I cannot do without the assembling of simple words, for example for = per, with = con, etc.
Besides, to offer another example, nowadays I refuse to accept being specialized in IT and having to change "installation" into "installazione", "files" into "file","dialog box" into "finestra di dialogo", even if this means just changing one letter; the machine (the CAT) has to do that! my expertize must be devoted to complete the sentence and search for difficult or articulated new terms, concepts and sentences.

In my current opinion, SDLX has one thing missing in DVX, the possibility of using a machine translation tool.

Other features of DVX now I could not do without are:
the row selector
the ability to open and work on all files and formats at a time
the filter feature

So, I strongly recommend DVX, but also wish to emphasise other two opinions of mine, so that everybody can take an informed decision:
a) DVX is a difficult tool, you (we) have to learn/study a lot (in fact I study at least the messages of the relevant mailing list subscribers), mostly because it uses SQL to manage the memory database and the terminology database.
b) At the moment, handling the terminology in the **customized** terminology database I created is nearly a nightmare. It just works because terms are there and I use them in DVX, but at the moment they are almost held hostage, I find it really difficult and time-consuming to export them for colleagues or for global reference with programs like dtsearch. I look forward to the new long-awaited DVX release, which should tackle this complexity about handling of customized terminology databases.

ciao
Ilde

[Edited at 2004-09-21 07:23]

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Auto-Assemble Sep 20, 2004

I trust you are following the discussion SDLX vs. Trados, http://www.proz.com/topic/24878?pg=e . There isn't much I can add to Ilde's excellent description. The only point where I'd like to disagree is where Ilde says DVX requires a lot of learning. It's a powerful (read: complex) program, but it's pretty straightforward.

Following the link to the SDLX extra tools in the above discussion, I couldn't help thinking "Hey, I can do all that with DVX, no extra tools required". The assemble feature is a real time-saver, while endorsing consistency. Even if you had a typo say in your terminology database, the typo would be consistent throughout the text, thus easy to correct. The filter function is extremely helpful to see all occurences of a given term (displaying segments from all project documents containing a selected term or phrase). When revising or understand a term this function is a very valuable tool.

The only SDLX feature thing I'd love to see in DVX is an option to add formating. While you can easily edit formatting codes in DVX, it's not possible to add new formatting and quite dangerous to delete existing formatting codes.

HTH
Klaus

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It depends on the file or the project Sep 21, 2004

Hi,

When I receive an uncleaned Trados file to be edited, I prefer to use SDLX, as I don't have to change 0% and 100% match values (in order to make sure target text is displayed). I feel SDLX is a little bit more flexible as far as concordance + copy&paste are concerned and what I miss in DV(X) is the batch confirming option of segments (especially, when I have a lot of 100% matches.. in SDLX I only need to use the dropdown menu and choose *confirm* > 100% match).

I prefer to work with SDLX when translating *.xls and *.ppt files, out of habit.

Whenever I have to deal with a multiple-file project, DVX is The solution. And an Alignment with DVX isn't so "stressing" as under SDLX.

The autoassemble option is a good thing, but it might cause more work (adapting assembled segments), if the sentence includes a lot of prepositions, but this is caused by the difference in the languages I work with (mainly DE>IT).

As no CAT offers all what one needs (at least this is my experience), I bought Trados, SDLX and DV(X). It might be an expensive solution, but I am very happy with my choice, as I think I have the right CAT for all files and "problems", i.e. I don't waste time with "technical" problems, but can concentrate on translating/editing.

Giuliana

Richard Toovey
Germany
German to English
Friendly or reliable? Oct 16, 2004

I tested full demo versions of DVX and SDLX for three days each before a major job in February. My superficial impression was that SDLX was created by software engineers who expected translators to follow their way of thinking, whereas DVX was created by translators who were not as well-versed in programming.

With SDLX, the file creation process seemed unnecessarily complex and aligning a bit cumbersome, but the basic settings offered for customisation (for aligning)gave me a lot of control.

The tabs were handled better (and more safely!) in DVX. DVX, however, caused Windows (ME) to hang repeatedly in the middle of conversion back to Word! The prospect of losing all of my work did not enthrall me. The problem was solved by re-starting the computer, but occurred repeatedly after that.

In other words: SDLX seems reliable, DVX seems user-friendly.

No doubt things have changed in the last few months and I have read that DVX has been improved since then....

Richard Toovey
Germany
German to English
user support Oct 16, 2004

One thing that I forgot to mention:

the support from Atril (DVX) was first class: very prompt and written by real people who responded to my exact query and not to some generalised standard situation.

All that I got from SDL (SDLX) was a machine-generated query to ask whether I wanted to buy the product.

That says it all about how they view their users, doesn't it?

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:33
German to English
+ ...
Another tool to try - Fusion Oct 20, 2004

[quote]Hynek Palatin wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a second CAT tool to use as a supplement (or maybe replacement) to Trados for technical translations. I am currently evaluating the trial version of SDLX and I will do the same with DVX, but I would like to know what experienced users think.
quote]

Dear Hynek,

May I also suggest another tool for evaluation: it is called "Fusion". You can find more info about it at http://www.proz.com/fusion and they currently offer free trials for 30 days. We were in the same boat as you, comparing Trados and other software tools. We find this tool to be very user friendly, yet powerful. Let me know how you like it!

Kerstin

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fusion Oct 20, 2004

Kerstin Krämer wrote:
May I also suggest another tool for evaluation: it is called "Fusion". You can find more info about it at http://www.proz.com/fusion and they currently offer free trials for 30 days. We were in the same boat as you, comparing Trados and other software tools. We find this tool to be very user friendly, yet powerful. Let me know how you like it!

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for the tip. I have already tried Fusion some time ago, but it was quite unstable and it didn't support Czech. Maybe it has changed now, but I still prefer a more mature tool.

I have bought SDLX Standard for a promotional price and I use it for formatted Word documents instead of Trados. I still want to evaluate DVX when I have more time.

bmon
English
How can this be... Nov 12, 2004

Richard Toovey wrote:
I tested full demo versions of DVX and SDLX for three days each before a major job in February. My superficial impression was that SDLX was created by software engineers who expected translators to follow their way of thinking, whereas DVX was created by translators who were not as well-versed in programming.

It seems a rather odd comment to make. SDL is comprised of Languages services and tool development,which I would assume compliment each other. SDL is a company working within the industry who made a tool to streamline and improve their work quality and efficiency. We benefit off their needs. They have a very large amount of internal translators who use the product daily so they would have to make a good product or there would be mass chaos. I think I would tend to put faith in a company that understands the market needs by having to deal with them, than put faith in a development company who simply develops a tool for an industry based on the budget of their R&D.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX vs. DVX - which one do you prefer?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search