Thread poster: Klaus Herrmann

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:27
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 21, 2004

After reading the Trados Term Extract ad (http://www.proz.com/trados?trados_show_mode=purchase), I'm amazed. Judging by screen shot and description, that's exactly what DVX's built-in lexicon function does. I'm wondering about differences between Term Extract and the DVX lexicon? There has to be more to it if Traods asks 1200 Euro for it, I hope. Thanks for any input on this.

Direct link Reply with quote

Delio Destro  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Free market Sep 21, 2004

Friends,
The good thing about an open and free market is that a product is sold for the value it brings to the user. Sooner or later, if it is not worth the price, the market will catch up with it.

Please bear in mind that Trados is not a garage operation. If they are asking and getting that much for their software, there must be something to it. The key words here are "asking price". Nobody has to buy it, if they don't think it is worth it.

Now, if it is a better tool than any other, it is pretty much the same discussion about Windows and Linux. Maybe Linux is better. Maybe not. Maybe SDL and DVX are better. Maybe not.

My experience is: I earn more money, work better and faster running Windows. I earn more money, delivering quality, concise and on time translations running Trados.

Quite frankly, I don't care much about the rest.

As usual, this is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

Delio

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
A bit different concepts Sep 21, 2004

I do not use DVX lexicon, but I used to work with DejaVu 3.0 lexicon and the basic difference was that DV lexion did not really extract bilingual terms, it just created a number of phrases basing on criteria selected (max number of words, frequency, etc.). Then a list was created using, I guess, brute force alorithm and then you could have use the list to create project glossary. Quite useful with large projects (esp. taking into account semi-machine translation capacity of DVX).

Terms Extract, however, can be used for bilingual glossary creation/building or terminology verification. If DVX lexicon has similar functionality, I will immediately start using it again...

Regards,

Romuald

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
What exactly are the differences? Sep 21, 2004

Romuald Pawlikowski wrote:
... DV lexion did not really extract bilingual terms,...

I am not sure whether DV had this full functionality, but DVX ("Menu/Lexicon/Build lexicon...") extracts words and phrases from the source text, translates them using translation memories and terminology databases, and sorts them by number of occurrences and number of contained words.
You can apply the filter, assembling and all other functions for translating/editing the lexicon like you would do it for the translation of other documents. The terminology verification works as usual, too.

Happy restart!

Harry

Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you elaborate on that? Sep 22, 2004

Terms Extract, however, can be used for bilingual glossary creation/building...

Thank you, Romuald. Can you elaborate on that? Harry described the process in DVX, and from what I understand, that's how Term Extract works as well?

Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Terms Extract Sep 22, 2004

Klaus Herrmann wrote:
Harry described the process in DVX, and from what I understand, that's how Term Extract works as well?

I do not use TermExtract, I just tinkered a bit with the demo and I was a bit surprised to see that it works I mean it created a bilingual glossary from a set of ttx files, after I weeded out some of the obvious misfits I had quite a nice set of terms. However, as the price tag is still a bit too much for me I am willing to go along with Harry's suggestion and have a closer look at DVX lexicon functionality.

The thing that I am sure of is that TermExtract does it a bit more user friendly, because you get the set of bilingual pairs just using the default settings. In DejaVu (as I remember it) you did not get bilingual pairs at once, I needed to populate the lexicon etc. In other words YOU are a bit more involved in the glossary creation than in Term Extract.

[Edited at 2004-09-22 09:06]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Consider Fusion, too Sep 22, 2004

I have toyed a bit with the demo of Fusion and it works quite nice, too. I have used it on various TMs with good results. I think the demo is worth a try, considering that for ProZ members the price for the whole package is much lower than for Term Extract itself.

I am not using it anymore, as it has no support for Polish and it required some tinkering to get it right. However, I was told that they are working on adding Unicode support.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Demo? Sep 22, 2004

I do not use TermExtract, I just tinkered a bit with the demo and I was a bit surprised to see that it works I mean it created a bilingual glossary from a set of ttx files, after I weeded out some of the obvious misfits I had quite a nice set of terms.

Hi Romuald,
where did you get the demo from? I wasn't impressed with Fusion's capabilities for German > English so I would like to test TermExtract before shelling out all that money.

Regards,
Jill

Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Term Extract Demo Sep 22, 2004

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

where did you get the demo from? I wasn't impressed with Fusion's capabilities for German > English so I would like to test TermExtract before shelling out all that money.

The demo was bundled with MultiTerm 2003 (on CD).

Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll be back... Sep 22, 2004

Great. I'm looking forward to comparing Term Extract to DVX's lexicon. Report to follow...

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Aha, missed it Sep 22, 2004

Great, will try it out. Thanks Romuald

Roland
English to French
Request Nov 29, 2004

Could you send this demo ? because I have the CD but there is no demon in it ?
Thanks
Roland

piotrsut  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
CD tampered with Dec 9, 2004

Roland wrote:

Could you send this demo ? because I have the CD but there is no **demon** in it ?
Thanks
Roland

That MAY mean that the CD was inadvertently rubbed by someone. You should contact the vendor to claim your three wishes.

Seriously, they must have some obscure purpose not to publish the demo on their site. I think you have to be a BIG fan of Trados Co. to shell out the money on an unknown, new, expensive product just on the grounds of a few lines of copy on their site.

It ain't me, baby.

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Term Extract vs. DVX lexicon

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search