International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Déjà Vu's Autowrite - efficiency for Norwegian language?
Thread poster: Anne Maria Christoffersen

Anne Maria Christoffersen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:53
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2013

Hi,

I'm a new member and am about to join in on one of the TGBs for my first CAT tool. Very excited!

I'm very much drawn to Déjà Vu, I think the AutoWrite function sounds really great and having seen the videos on youtube it also seems to be very intuitive and simple to learn.

However, searching this forum I read that the Autowrite isn't equally efficient for all language combinations and so I was wondering: Does anyone on here have any experience using Déjà Vu for the Norwegian langauge, combined with English and Spanish? I translate from EN/ES > NO and from NO/ES > EN.

Also, what spell check does Déjà Vu use? And does this work well for Norwegian?

I hope you can help me! Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
It should work... Dec 15, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:
I'm a new member and am about to join in on one of the TGBs for my first CAT tool. Very excited!

I'm very much drawn to Déjà Vu, I think the AutoWrite function sounds really great and having seen the videos on youtube it also seems to be very intuitive and simple to learn.

Even a chimpanzee would do
One of the main DVX advantages is a "zero administration" approach.
I.e., unlike Trados, memoQ etc., DVX suggestions are 100% calculated on the fly.

However, searching this forum I read that the Autowrite isn't equally efficient for all language combinations and so I was wondering: Does anyone on here have any experience using Déjà Vu for the Norwegian langauge, combined with English and Spanish? I translate from EN/ES > NO and from NO/ES > EN.

Generally, the heavily inflected languages (as my native Polish) are affected here.
Probably the Spanish conjugation will cause some problems but if your TMs get big, this effect will be rapidly palliated.
A potential problem for NO is the postponed glued article, it will reduce the AutoWrite accuracy but if you start to manage the terminology (a crucial approach for DVX), it will work well.
I know some happy SV translators using DVX, it would be basically the same as for Swedish.

You should lower the recognition threshold to, let's say, 60-65%, the DVX default threshold (75%) is IMO far too high.

Also, what spell check does Déjà Vu use? And does this work well for Norwegian?

You can always choose the MS Word spellchecker.
For my main languages, it's usually better then the built-in spellchecker.

PS
The runic characters fuzzy recognition doesn't work in DVX (tested...), so if you want to translate OCR-ed stones, it will not work

ᚱᛁᛋᛏᛅ ᛋᛏᛁᚾ ᚦᛁᛋᛅ
GG

[Edited at 2013-12-15 16:28 GMT]

Spain
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 15, 2013

Thank you so much, Grzegorz, for your reply!

You've removed all my doubts about Déjà Vu - I will definitely buy it now! So glad to hear I can use it without any significant problems!

I am glad I can use the Word spellchecker, I think that - just as with Polish - it would be the better option for the Norwegian language.

Haha, then I will definitely not try to translate the runic language (would have been fun, though! ) - good thing you already tested it!

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
... without any significant problems? Dec 16, 2013

... regarding Autowrite you really won´t have significant problems, it´s THE feature why I almost love Deja Vu, but take care to take out different tasks (creating / editing / repairing / compressing TMs, projects and Termbases etc.) in different sessions otherwise the programm might crash without any obvious reason (my experience). Switching between projects in one and the same session works fine. Enjoy and happy translating!
Matthias

French to Polish
+ ...
Links... Dec 16, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

You've removed all my doubts about Déjà Vu - I will definitely buy it now! So glad to hear I can use it without any significant problems!

You can also take a look on an old thread, it's partially outdated but you'll find there some remarks related to the Assemble feature combined with DeepMiner and machine translation.
AutoWrite uses the same mechanisms.
http://www.proz.com/forum/messages/215824.html

It may be also useful to take read my post related to the DVX customization and main shortcuts:
http://www.proz.com/forum/messages/211945.html

Haha, then I will definitely not try to translate the runic language (would have been fun, though! ) - good thing you already tested it!

I had to tweak a little bit DVX and Windows
The first problem is the font, the default Wndows fonts don't contain runes but you can download a freeware Junicode font (splendid for medievalists...), some Futhark keyboards are also available on the Web.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-12-16 11:44 GMT]

Spain
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Matthias and Grzegorz! Dec 16, 2013

Thank you so much, Matthias, for that useful tip! The AutoWrite is indeed one of the main reasons why I feel Déjà Vu is the best CAT for me! As for the "significant problems" I was just referring to how it would work in regards to my native language, Norwegian. From what I've read about the function itself I don't expect problems at all, it sounds really great!

The links were really helpful, Grzegorz, thank you! I've added them to "Favorites" in my web browser for reference when I get DVX2. Those shortcuts will definitely come in handy, I would never have found out on my own - I'm not great with computers, I tried Trados but found it far too complicated for me. DVX2 seems so much more intuitive. You know, I think I will download that Junicode Font! I love all things medieval!

Joining the Group Buy today!!!

Oh, can I ask you one more thing? This is a really stupid question... but as I said, I'm no good with computers... Would I need to own or is it recommendable that I own Microsoft Office? Or will the freeware OpenOffice (which I have) do?

[Edited at 2013-12-16 12:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-16 12:56 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
MS Office Dec 16, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

Oh, can I ask you one more thing? This is a really stupid question... but as I said, I'm no good with computers... Would I need to own or is it recommendable that I own Microsoft Office? Or will the freeware OpenOffice (which I have) do?

It's better to have MS Office, alt least for two main reasons:
- the MS Word spellchecker,
- the older MS Office files (.doc, .xls and .ppt) can be imported only using MS Office (DVX launches the Office application in the background.
Theoretically you can save 'em as .docx. .xlsx or .pptx using OpenOffice (DVX imports these files directly) but sometimes the conversion fails or is not advisable because of some specific content.

Cheers
GG

Spain
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office Version? Dec 16, 2013

Thank you!

Which version of Office should I get? Is "Home and Student" sufficient? It comes without Access and Publisher, but has Word, ExCel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/es_ES/cat/ThemeID.30303100/categoryID.61511100?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_ES_ES_HP_Downloads_Office

French to Polish
+ ...
Office versions... licensing... varia... Dec 16, 2013

Christoffersen wrote:

Which version of Office should I get? Is "Home and Student" sufficient?

Technically it will work but the Home and Student license is intended for non-commercial use only.
But you can easily add interface languages and spellcheckers with no additional fees.

If you purchase the Standard version (Home and Office), you'll be entitled to install it on two machines (if you purchase so called BOX version) and you'll be able to get an invoice you can deduct from your tax income if you have a sole proprietorship company, so the real price gets closer to the Home and Student version you can't deduct.
The BOX versions make sense 'cause you can install the software on a different machine if you scrap the old one.
An additional single language pack can be purchased for approx. 25 USD.
I may be somehow inaccurate, MS may have changed some license terms, I don't longer follow 'em closely.

BTW, they're two licensing modes for DVX i.e. the activation (you're entitled to activate DVX on two machines) and a dongle (a small electronic device you plug in a USB port of your machine.
The dongle is a little bit more expensive (you pay the hardware and the shipping fee) but it's more flexible if you plan to change frequently the machines you use.
Me, I prefer the dongle 'cause I have multiple notebooks configured for presentations in different environments (different Windows and Office versions) but the activation is OK for most users.
As you like.

It comes without Access and Publisher, but has Word, ExCel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

In my life (I work as freelance translator since 15 years...), I never had to translate Publisher files.
Access is needed rather for power users, I doubt you will ever use it.

PS
DVX3 will be launched shortly, you'll have a free upgrade

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-12-16 14:55 GMT]

Spain
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again, thank you! Dec 16, 2013

Thank you so very much! You've been immensely helpful!

I had no idea about this difference between the "Home & Office" and "Home & Student"!

And also I was very much prepared to pay extra for that upgrade to DV3!!! What wonderful news!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Déjà Vu's Autowrite - efficiency for Norwegian language?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search