https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/261529-sneak_preview_of_d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_x3.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Sneak preview of Déjà Vu X3!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2013

January 9, 2014 - 14:00 - 15:00 (UK time, in English)

Info & sign up: http://www.atril.com/en/content/webinar-dintroduction-teamserver-gratuit-0

Michael (happy CafeTran/memoQ user)

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:41
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
. Jan 3, 2014

I am looking forward to it... just wondering what (if any) of the requested features we have asked about time and time again here, have actually been considered by Atril for implementation.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 15:41
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes indeed, Jan 3, 2014

I am more than curious...

Mike

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Jan 4, 2014

I am looking forward to it...

Hopes Die Last

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshots from the sneak preview webinar on the new DVX3 today... Jan 9, 2014

Hello everyone,

Here are two screenshots of the new DVX3. To be honest I didn't really pay much attention to the actual webinar itself as I was busy translating (in CafeTran), so without further ado, the screenshots:

Wordbook.nl

Wordbook.nl

Yes, you saw that right, Déjà Vu now has a ribbon too, just Word and SDL Stupido.

Michael

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:41
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Michael! Jan 9, 2014

So can you tell us more about your initial impressions of the software? Do you like it?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That’s a difficult question to answer. Jan 9, 2014

Hi Sarah,

That’s a difficult question to answer. I like a lot of its features, but there is no way it could lure me away from my current favourite CAT tool, CafeTran. Although CafeTran definitely has few problems (lack of clear documentation being the most pressing), it is just so much more fun to translate in than anything I have ever used before.

To make matters slightly more confusing, I also own a memoQ 2013 licence, which was actually my tool of choice unt
... See more
Hi Sarah,

That’s a difficult question to answer. I like a lot of its features, but there is no way it could lure me away from my current favourite CAT tool, CafeTran. Although CafeTran definitely has few problems (lack of clear documentation being the most pressing), it is just so much more fun to translate in than anything I have ever used before.

To make matters slightly more confusing, I also own a memoQ 2013 licence, which was actually my tool of choice until a few months ago. If I had to recommend a tool of this kind (i.e., a large and complex beast, with far too much emphasis on the server crowd), I think I would still recommend memoQ above DVX (3 or 2), or SDL Stupido (oops, did I say that, I mean to type Studio of course).

However, having said that, DVX has some very special features, and I know many people who swear by it. For example, DVX2 is the only CAT tool I know of that can use Machine Translation to 'repair' fuzzy hits in the way that DVX does. And it has a few more such special features.

A lot of people hate the ribbon, but I think it might just work in the way DVX has implemented it in DVX3. I would want to be able to hide it though, which I'm not sure is possible.

I also like the different colours used to show the difference between your current source segment text and the source segment text from TM fuzzy hits... (I think green is for additions, blue for changes, and red for subtractions).

The document preview window is also very well done. Apparently it spans multi-file projects. That is, if you click down into a segment that is actually part of a different file, the preview window changes to show the new document.

Michael
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sneak preview extras Jan 9, 2014

Hi Michael,
I can confirm that the ribbon can be hidden in DVX3, so the normal working height in the grid is more than in DVX2. And the document preview window is great to work with. I normally park it on my second monitor so that I have all of the main window for the traditional content of DVX - and when I used DVX3 on the laptop recently, I even managed to display the preview pane on my Android tablet. (I love my Nexus 7 because of its handy format, but on this occasion a 10" screen woul
... See more
Hi Michael,
I can confirm that the ribbon can be hidden in DVX3, so the normal working height in the grid is more than in DVX2. And the document preview window is great to work with. I normally park it on my second monitor so that I have all of the main window for the traditional content of DVX - and when I used DVX3 on the laptop recently, I even managed to display the preview pane on my Android tablet. (I love my Nexus 7 because of its handy format, but on this occasion a 10" screen would have been a bit easier on the eyes).
As you gather, I am one of the beta testers, and I already use DVX3 regularly for real work. Some details are still being sorted, but they do not stop me working productively.
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:41
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Jan 9, 2014

Thanks for your reply Michael.

I actually have DV X2, which I love, and I was wondering if DV X3 is an improvement on X2. I also have memoQ and like it a lot too.

I have never tried Cafe Tran. Why do you say it's more fun?

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Jan 9, 2014

What's about normal (or underlining) spellchecker?
What's about more correctly working filter for langs with inflexion? (even in EN it's impossible to filter sing and plural nouns in one filtration)?

As far I know ribbon was the most hated «invention» in Office 2007 after Office 2003. (I can't imagine that clicking tab+button in W7,10,13 is more quick and easy than simply clicking button in W2003).
And now DVX has got ribbon with SHORT-CUTTED (or HOT-KEYed) commands. ?
... See more
What's about more correctly working filter for langs with inflexion? (even in EN it's impossible to filter sing and plural nouns in one filtration)?

As far I know ribbon was the most hated «invention» in Office 2007 after Office 2003. (I can't imagine that clicking tab+button in W7,10,13 is more quick and easy than simply clicking button in W2003).
And now DVX has got ribbon with SHORT-CUTTED (or HOT-KEYed) commands. ??? (Is this a special form of madness of software ingineers?)
(Thanks God it can be hidden)

What about one-click importing/exporting other TM's projects and bilingual rtf/speadsheets (xls, OO)?
What about joined view for some (not all) project's files with opportunity to export all files in view in one click?
What about too slow tmx import?
What about import Trados xliffs with bad xml entities?
What about aligning in translating view? It's more easy to align files in Editor view and with all editor functions than in castrated aligner.

Hopes have died.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Shortkey for numerals? Jan 10, 2014

Hi, does anybody of you, who has seen the preview or tested the beta, know whether Atril has finally added a shortcut to put in / copy numerals from the source to the target like even Studio and memoQ have got?
Thanks!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Some highlights... Jan 10, 2014

Hi,

I've watched that video and here some highlights and new features as best as I can remember:

Ribbon display which can be hidden by double-clicking.

Basic formatting recognized by DVX3 which leads to less codes and are also applied by repairing fuzzy matches or by assembling.

Inline spell checker (check spelling as you type)

Live preview which shows *all* your documents in your project at once.
1:1 representation with MS
... See more
Hi,

I've watched that video and here some highlights and new features as best as I can remember:

Ribbon display which can be hidden by double-clicking.

Basic formatting recognized by DVX3 which leads to less codes and are also applied by repairing fuzzy matches or by assembling.

Inline spell checker (check spelling as you type)

Live preview which shows *all* your documents in your project at once.
1:1 representation with MS Office documents, and extracted text, but still correct "true page" representation with other formats (XML etc.)

Fuzzy terms from TM and TBs can now be set separately with a percentile number.

Only specific TMs or TBs can now be set to display fuzzy matches based on attributes (client, subject). This is equivalent of filtering the TM which has huge advantages for QA and client terminology (amongst others).

New formats available for exporting documents (probably only with the Workgroup edition):
- Bilingual Word format
- Xliff
- Trados WB
- ?

There are for sure other novelties, but those are just what I did remember in particular.
Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2014-01-10 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Most of all that is now in DVX3 Jan 10, 2014

There is one in DVX3

And now DVX has got ribbon with SHORT-CUTTED (or HOT-KEYed) commands. ??? (Is this a special form of madness of software ingineers?)

All ribbons work that way.
You can also minimize the ribbon create a customizable quick access toolbar at the top with all the buttons you regularly use (with keyboard shortcuts or just with alt+1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

What about one-click importing/exporting other TM's projects and bilingual rtf/speadsheets (xls, OO)?

Not quite sure what you mean there but the DVX2/3's "Divide and Dispatch" feature must be just about the most powerful way of sharing files going.

What about joined view for some (not all) project's files with opportunity to export all files in view in one click?

With "Divide and Dispatch" you can split up a project in any way you want, by files, number of words or even number of characters, and certainly export several files in more or less one click or any given selection of files as one .xlf file, for example.

I'd say it's almost as fast as memoQ's now. Importing files with the new Office wysiwyg files is now faster than in memoQ, according to my timings.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Jan 11, 2014

David Turner wrote:

There is one in DVX3

Hope not one from Wintertree, where nobody knows how to add new lang or new words in dic.
It's good idea to show it on screenshots.

David Turner wrote:

All ribbons work that way.
You can also minimize the ribbon create a customizable quick access toolbar at the top with all the buttons you regularly use (with keyboard shortcuts or just with alt+1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Clear. But spending resources on not useful functions is not a good idea. Especially now when other TM are going ahead (especially MQ)

David Turner wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean there but the DVX2/3's "Divide and Dispatch" feature must be just about the most powerful way of sharing files going.

Example: You got 3 manuals in 30 files (man1_sect1.doc.....man1_sect10.doc, etc) for translation. It's more easy to translate them as 3 files ma1, man2, man3. Is it possible to join files this way in DVX3?

David Turner wrote:

I'd say it's almost as fast as memoQ's now. Importing files with the new Office wysiwyg files is now faster than in memoQ, according to my timings.

Nice to hear.

The view window on me is not a good idea (but taking too many resources due to a lot of formats). It's much better the function like copy|paste|Find clean segment (some words) in target or reference application. (Word, PowerPoint, Acrobat). A blind view (without pictures) is almost useless for illustrated documents.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A few answers Jan 12, 2014

Hope not one from Wintertree, where nobody knows how to add new lang or new words in dic.
It's good idea to show it on screenshots.

It's Hunspell actually.

Clear. But spending resources on not useful functions is not a good idea. Especially now when other TM are going ahead (especially MQ)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see memoQ following on with a ribbon one of these days.
Whether the ribbon makes life easier for newbies is debatable, but it does open up new possibilities for developers. At least that's the argument they give for it.

Example: You got 3 manuals in 30 files (man1_sect1.doc.....man1_sect10.doc, etc) for translation. It's more easy to translate them as 3 files ma1, man2, man3. Is it possible to join files this way in DVX3?

In all versions of DV, you can work on the 30 files as if they were one big file (all files view or project view) and switch between a view of one or more files and the project view, or even display several views side by side.
You could also import the 30 files, use Divide and Dispatch to split the project into three parts at any point and export them as three .xlf files which could be imported into another project, or three different projects, and translated there. Is that what you mean?

The view window on me is not a good idea (but taking too many resources due to a lot of formats). It's much better the function like copy|paste|Find clean segment (some words) in target or reference application. (Word, PowerPoint, Acrobat). A blind view (without pictures) is almost useless for illustrated documents.

Not sure what you mean there. DVX3's real time preview does show the layout and pictures of the target application (Office documents). And the preview works for the all files view, i.e. your 30 files can be viewed as one big preview, not just one preview for each individual file as in the case of memoQ.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sneak preview of Déjà Vu X3!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »