https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/277087-language_pair_corrupts_when_exporting_tpf_file_from_dvx2.html

Language pair corrupts when exporting .tpf file from DVX2
Thread poster: Abigail Weller
Abigail Weller
Abigail Weller  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
German to English
Nov 1, 2014

Hi

I was sent a .ppf file by a client which I have translated in Deja Vu X2 Professional and then exported to create a .tpf file which I delivered to the client.

The client has come back to say that the language pair is corrupt and they can only see 34 segments when there should be 1933.

I don't know why this has happened because I have worked on .ppf files for this client several times before and never had any problems. I have no idea what to do to recti
... See more
Hi

I was sent a .ppf file by a client which I have translated in Deja Vu X2 Professional and then exported to create a .tpf file which I delivered to the client.

The client has come back to say that the language pair is corrupt and they can only see 34 segments when there should be 1933.

I don't know why this has happened because I have worked on .ppf files for this client several times before and never had any problems. I have no idea what to do to rectify the problem either because there aren't any options to choose from when exporting the file and I'm also unable to open .tpf files in Deja Vu so I can't check myself whether the file is corrupt.

If anyone has any experience of this issue and can give me any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks
Abi
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:56
English to German
More information needed Nov 1, 2014

Abi,

First of all, have you contacted Atril support? If you are lucky, they might be able to help.

Also, do you know what segments the client can see? The first 33? In that case it should be possible to find out what trips either DVX on exporting or Transit on reimporting the project. Or is it segments with a particular status?

If you rename the extension of the project exported from DVX to .zip and open the zip file, is the translated file (with the extens
... See more
Abi,

First of all, have you contacted Atril support? If you are lucky, they might be able to help.

Also, do you know what segments the client can see? The first 33? In that case it should be possible to find out what trips either DVX on exporting or Transit on reimporting the project. Or is it segments with a particular status?

If you rename the extension of the project exported from DVX to .zip and open the zip file, is the translated file (with the extension .eng I suppose in your case) a lot smaller than the source file (.deu or .ger)? That would be an indication that DVX indeed only exports a small part of the text. If the file has a plausible length (around the same as the source file), then there might be either some encoding problem (of either status flags or unicode signs) or simply an error in DVX's processing logic (in which case the ball is in Atril's court again).

If you can send me the original ppf and the ppf/tpf exported from DVX, I can take a look at them (without any guarantee though as Transit's format was fiendishly complicated when I last looked at it, which was before Transit NXT came along).

Endre
Collapse

Abigail Weller
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
More information Nov 1, 2014

Hi Endre

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

I have contacted Atril support so hopefully they might be able to help.

I'm not sure which segments the client can see - I didn't think to ask, so I'll contact them when they're back in the office on Monday morning to try and find that out.

I've tried changing the exported file extension to .zip and the file that the client said is corrupt (S0322F TrLF 10102014.ENU), is 1623 KB. I also change
... See more
Hi Endre

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

I have contacted Atril support so hopefully they might be able to help.

I'm not sure which segments the client can see - I didn't think to ask, so I'll contact them when they're back in the office on Monday morning to try and find that out.

I've tried changing the exported file extension to .zip and the file that the client said is corrupt (S0322F TrLF 10102014.ENU), is 1623 KB. I also changed the extension of the .ppf (source) file to .zip and extracted it and the equivalent file (S0322F TrLF 10102014.DEU) is 1466KB, so about the same size.

It sounds from what you say like that suggests I need to wait to hear from Atril and hope they can shed some light on the issue...
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:56
English to German
Do a(nother) code check Nov 2, 2014

Abi Weller wrote:
It sounds from what you say like that suggests I need to wait to hear from Atril and hope they can shed some light on the issue...

There is one more possibility for user error I should have mentioned instead of taking it for granted: Have you done a code check? File corruption can result from a number of code issues:
a) missing codes (though you usually cannot export if there are missing codes in the target)
b) wrong order of codes in a segment - that's a common and nasty problem and it often leads to corruption
c) text before the first code or after the last code - this may or may not cause problems (I believe in Transit projects it usually does)

So if you haven't yet done so (or even if you have), go to the top of the project, hit Shift+Ctrl+F8, see if it stops on any segments and correct any reported problems (the error is explained in very small print in the status line when the code check stops on a segment).

Endre

Abigail Weller
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Code check Nov 3, 2014

Thank you for this further suggestion. I checked all the codes electronically and went through them manually as well. I have moved a few that weren't in exactly the same position as in the source text (i.e. did or didn't have text before/after them when the source text did) but unfortunately it still hasn't solved the problem.

I have now found out that the 34 segments visible to the client are the ones that had already been translated by the client before they sent me the job. In Tr
... See more
Thank you for this further suggestion. I checked all the codes electronically and went through them manually as well. I have moved a few that weren't in exactly the same position as in the source text (i.e. did or didn't have text before/after them when the source text did) but unfortunately it still hasn't solved the problem.

I have now found out that the 34 segments visible to the client are the ones that had already been translated by the client before they sent me the job. In Transit these are the first 34 segments, however in Deja Vu they are spread throughout the file so it seems the two packages put the segments in different orders.
Collapse

Abigail Weller
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Segment positioning Nov 3, 2014

Sorry, the segments that the client can see are not spread throughout the document in Deja Vu - they do all run consecutively, they just don't appear right at the start of the file. The final segment the client can see is headed 'Table of Contents' so I wonder if there is some coding in the Table of Contents that is causing the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language pair corrupts when exporting .tpf file from DVX2

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »