NatM
Germany
Local time: 02:51
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2015

Dear All

I would love to have your feedback regarding the following problem:
When you receive complex pdf files as source files for translation, such as flow charts etc., how do you handle them with DVX?
My problem is that the segments are sometimes totally 'shredded'. One line of a textbox in one segment, then a line from an adjoining textbox as the next segment, then the rest of the text of the first box in the following segment, …
I hope you understand what I mean.

Of course I could copy and paste a bit from one segment to the next, but then the layout would be rubbish after the export.
So, in the project I am currently working on, I decided not to use DVX and translate in the pdf directly (I have Acrobat Pro).

Does anyone have a clever workaround in DVX which would be useful in such cases?

Thanks for your help!

Nat

Direct link Reply with quote

Atril_TEAM
France
Member (2015)
DVX3 new PDF filter Jan 15, 2015

NatM wrote:

Dear All

I would love to have your feedback regarding the following problem:
When you receive complex pdf files as source files for translation, such as flow charts etc., how do you handle them with DVX?
My problem is that the segments are sometimes totally 'shredded'. One line of a textbox in one segment, then a line from an adjoining textbox as the next segment, then the rest of the text of the first box in the following segment, …
I hope you understand what I mean.

Of course I could copy and paste a bit from one segment to the next, but then the layout would be rubbish after the export.
So, in the project I am currently working on, I decided not to use DVX and translate in the pdf directly (I have Acrobat Pro).

Does anyone have a clever workaround in DVX which would be useful in such cases?

Thanks for your help!

Nat

Dear Nat,

Which version of DVX3 are you using? DVX3 latest build (build 723) has a new PDF filter which handles PDF files much better than previous versions.

Depending on the file structure, you can:

• Import it with default options and check the output (by pseudotranslating it)
  • Import it with one the following options checked:

1. "Prevent segmentation": will ignore unnecessary hard returns
    2. "Use textboxes for layout": really usefull if the file contains a lot of tables/charts
    3. "Use PDF converter in Word 2013": works really well with most PDF - you have to install MS Office 2013 in order for it to work

Another trick would be to import the file into DVX, populate all the segments and then import the output after having worked on it (deleting unnecessary hard returns, harmonizing the fonts, etc.).

Feel free sending us your file at support@atril.com so that we can play with it and help you moving forward.

Kind regards,
    Etienne

[Edited at 2015-01-15 14:59 GMT]

• NatM
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks Jan 15, 2015

Dear Etienne

Thanks for the reply.

We are still working with DVX2, but planning to switch to DVX3 shortly.

'Prevent segmentation' helped a little in my DVX2 version.

But maybe we should switch to version 3 sooner rather than later, if the filter is really better...

Nat

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
    Turkey
    Local time: 04:51
    Member (2006)
    English to Turkish
    + ...
    new filter much better Jan 15, 2015

NatM wrote:

But maybe we should switch to version 3 sooner rather than later, if the filter is really better...

Personally, I find the new PDF filter much better and suggest upgrading to the latest version.

Selcuk

Atril_TEAM
    France
    Member (2015)
    Send us your file and we'll compare Jan 15, 2015

Dear Nat,

Again, feel free sending us your file so that you check by yourself if it's worth upgrading!

PS: Thank you Selcuk for this comment (to everyone: I swear Selcuk is not part of our sales team).

Regards,
    Atril Team

Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
    France
    Member (2009)
    English to French
    + ...
    DVX3 PDF filter works really well with flow charts Jan 15, 2015

Dear Nat,
    I confirm that the PDF filter of DVX3 latest build (9.0.723) works very well with flow charts. I tested it using the "Use textboxes for layout" option and it produced a great Word file with the PDF figures, colors and layout. The exported file might of course need some fixing, depending on the source PDF and the language you are translating into, but I would recommend to give it a try.

Regards,
    Caroline

NatM
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    igx files Jan 16, 2015

Thanks everybody. We'll probably update to DVX3 next week

But one more question, dear ATRIL team, is it possible to import "igx" files? Files created with "iGrafx Flowcharter". Is there any workaround?

Thanks again.
    Nat

Atril_TEAM
    France
    Member (2015)
    IGX files Jan 16, 2015

Hello Nat,

After a quick online research, it looks like you might be able to export XML, HTML and Excel files from your iGrafx Flowcharter projects.
    XML is a general-purpose markup language that can be exported from iGrafx models and imported to iGrafx to create models. XML can be used to interchange data across different information systems including web services and process execution environments. The iGrafx XML schema defines the names, allowable hierarchy, and meanings of the elements and attributes of XML files.

You might want to test that. Should you need any help, feel free contacting us at support@atril.com

Kind regards,
    Atril Team

NatM
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    thanks Jan 16, 2015

Thank you, we'll ask the originators for xml then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with pdf files with a complex layout in DVX

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
    Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs
    • Forums
    • Multiple search