Thread poster: Alex Altorfer

Alex Altorfer  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2015

Greetings!
I have a newbie concern. I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I have recently acquired DéjàVu X3 with the intention of using it as my primary CAT tool. Predictably, I was offered a job involving Trados files. The client sent me a folder containing a Trados project, with the familiar four folders inside (source, target, reports and TM, plus the sdlproj file).

So, I’ve watched the video titled “DéjàVu X3 - Unmatched Interoperability” at Atril’s YouTube channel and saw how to use the TMX wizard found in one of the “External Data” tabs in DéjàVu X3.

The video at issue is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHmakNK6BRY

Now, I find the tab in DéjàVu X3, click the TMX wizard icon and… nothing happens! No wizard opens. Nothing.

As I am new to this application, I figure I must have missed some prior step that activates DéjàVu’s wizard capabilities. Is this so?

If anyone can shed some light upon this mystery, I’ll really appreciate it!

Cheers!

PS: My DéjàVu X3 is version 9.0.730, installed in a Lenovo Ideapad Z400 running Windows 10.

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Should open, but ... Aug 13, 2015

Alex Altorfer wrote:Now, I find the tab in DéjàVu X3, click the TMX wizard icon and… nothing happens! No wizard opens. Nothing.

... I assume you didn´t create and open a new DV TM before you were trying to import your external tmx based data, right?

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I did not create a new DV TM. Aug 13, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote: ... I assume you didn´t create and open a new DV TM before you were trying to import your external tmx based data, right?

Hi Matthias! I really didn't. As soon as I get home tonight I'll look into it and report on what happens. Thanx for the tip!

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The wizard did open, but still to no avail. Aug 18, 2015

Mathias,
Well, I did create the DV translation memory and as you predicted, the wizard did open; however, I could not open the files through the wizard. I tried opening both the SDL Trados Studio Project file and the SDL XLIFF files, and I tried using both SDL related wizards, the TMX and the Workbench. Every time, the wizard at issue imported 0 segments.
Surely, there's something about this I just don't know yet. Perhaps I need to convert the files into something else?
Unfortunately, I have to use SDL Trados for this one, but I would still rather succeed at using DV X3 to do this. If you or anyone else could shed some light, I would deeply appreciate it!
Thank you for your attention!

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not in your shoes Aug 18, 2015

Hi Alex,

so you have now access to the converted *.tmx file of your Studio project through the wizard?
Either the .tmx file is empty (check with Studio) or you made incorrect settings before importing the *.tmx.
Importing completed bilingual sdlxliff files into a DV TM with the help of the TM wizard is not possible. Therefore you must first import them into a DV project and use the function "add to TM" (or similar designated) in the "Start" tab (alternatively press Alt+F12).
I recommend to check / process the first steps mentioned in the DV manual.
Alternatively, have a look into the DV forum in Yahoo under https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/conversations/topics
You need to register, but perhaps you will find there answers / a further description of the single steps, explained by DV enthusiasts.
But once you are comfortable with DV, you won´t use any other CAT tool because of the genious dynamic AutoWrite function (first button left on the lower rim).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open TMX Wizard in DéjàVu X3.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search