Importing already translated documents into DejaVu
Thread poster: Annie06
Annie06
Annie06
Australia
Aug 19, 2015

Dear All,

I am in urgent need of help.
Our company has purchased DejaVu license to manage all the translations. And I have documents in Word and Excel that have been translated from English to French, Danish, Spanish, and Swedish.

These were translated by the translators who were hired by the company.

Now, we need to create our own Translation Memory and I am wondering if there is a way to import English and an equivalent French manual and create a TM
... See more
Dear All,

I am in urgent need of help.
Our company has purchased DejaVu license to manage all the translations. And I have documents in Word and Excel that have been translated from English to French, Danish, Spanish, and Swedish.

These were translated by the translators who were hired by the company.

Now, we need to create our own Translation Memory and I am wondering if there is a way to import English and an equivalent French manual and create a TM, and I can do the same for other languages as well.

Is there a way to put this all together in DejaVu so that future translations are easy.

I am not a native French, Danish, Spanish, Swedish speaker. But is there a way to do this myself, instead of asking the translators to pass me the Translation Memory file (they have been a little reluctant to do that).

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Annie.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Alignment-function Aug 19, 2015

Hi Annie,

try to get a bit more acquainted with the Alignment feature of DV (File >> New >> Alignment). Follow then the proposed steps and create the alignment workfile. Please do not try to align all documents of one language combination in one go. Nevertheless you need to finetune the matching of the segments, which can be very time consuming, but other CAT tools apply nearly the same principle.
Alternatively you could try to convert your documents into tables (with one colu
... See more
Hi Annie,

try to get a bit more acquainted with the Alignment feature of DV (File >> New >> Alignment). Follow then the proposed steps and create the alignment workfile. Please do not try to align all documents of one language combination in one go. Nevertheless you need to finetune the matching of the segments, which can be very time consuming, but other CAT tools apply nearly the same principle.
Alternatively you could try to convert your documents into tables (with one column per language file ) and combine the columns into a 2-column excel sheet (*.xls), which can be imported into an existing TM.
The manual will explain all necessary steps for you too.

Matthias
Collapse

Annie06
Annie06
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
Alignment to create TM Aug 20, 2015

Thank you, Matthias.
I explored the alignment function as you suggested and I think it should solve the problem. It will make me invest time to streamline the translations and check the rows for translated text against the original but its a proper way to ensure that the TM is clean and reliable without any mistakes.

Really appreciate your help.
Best regards,
Annie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing already translated documents into DejaVu

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »