Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Any news on the upcoming version?
Thread poster: Wojciech_

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
May 22, 2016

I've been waiting for any news regarding the latest version of DVX3 (or will it be DVX4?) with the new exciting features that there were supposed to be implemented, but I'm starting to think that there is some internal problem in Atril, since their existence here on the forum is barely visible.
The same goes with their website where the latest news comes from June 2015, and from their Facebook profile where once a month someone posts a message to advertise a promotion.
Come on Atril, you can do better than that!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do not know, but... May 22, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

I've been waiting for any news regarding the latest version of DVX3 (or will it be DVX4?) with the new exciting features that there were supposed to be implemented, but I'm starting to think that there is some internal problem in Atril, since their existence here on the forum is barely visible.
The same goes with their website where the latest news comes from June 2015, and from their Facebook profile where once a month someone posts a message to advertise a promotion.
Come on Atril, you can do better than that!


Atril is less visible? Yes. Is it a bad sign? I'm not sure. They spend much less money on marketing than the other two? Yes. Is it a bad thing? I'm not sure.

It's always exciting to have a new release, but the dark side of it is that we pay upgrades. Atril releases new versions once every three or four years. I really do not want them to start releasing new versions every year (as SDL seems to have started doing; Studio 2014, Studio 2015, Studio 2016???).

The product is obviously improvable, but all basic features "mortal" translators may ever need are there. Their support works too. I don't really miss them on this or on any other forum. Let them work in the background. Large and noisy isn't always tantamount to better.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I beg to differ May 22, 2016

Well, if they want to retain their customer base and gain more customers, which obviously tends to be a natural thing for any company, they should be visible and advertise their product more actively. This includes more news on what they are doing and what we can expect.

I am a potential customer of DVX3 as I saw a real potential in the tool, but in the meantime SDL released Studio 2015 that has most of the features I wanted to see (e.g. autosuggest for regex), so I bought the license.

Nevertheless, I am still interested in the DVX and its future, because in certain aspects it continues to be the most user-friendly tool. But the company must communicate with their customers and, even more importantly, prospective customers, because if they don't, then after some time they lose ground and position in the market.

I think Cafetran is a good example how it should be done. It started as a one-person enterprise, gained its followers who advertised (sometimes perhaps too eagerly) its functionality and features, and now it seems like it's more popular than DVX. TGB speaks for itself.

I am currently thinking of buying MemoQ license, but I could probably wait for the new version of DVX if I knew if it will ever be released. About September last year I got a nice list of features that were to be implemented in the upcoming version(s). Now 8 months have passed and I'm not even sure if anything is being developed anymore, since the latest news on the website is 1 year old.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DVX May 22, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Well, if they want to retain their customer base and gain more customers, which obviously tends to be a natural thing for any company, they should be visible and advertise their product more actively. This includes more news on what they are doing and what we can expect.

I am a potential customer of DVX3 as I saw a real potential in the tool, but in the meantime SDL released Studio 2015 that has most of the features I wanted to see (e.g. autosuggest for regex), so I bought the license.

Nevertheless, I am still interested in the DVX and its future, because in certain aspects it continues to be the most user-friendly tool. But the company must communicate with their customers and, even more importantly, prospective customers, because if they don't, then after some time they lose ground and position in the market.

I think Cafetran is a good example how it should be done. It started as a one-person enterprise, gained its followers who advertised (sometimes perhaps too eagerly) its functionality and features, and now it seems like it's more popular than DVX. TGB speaks for itself.

I am currently thinking of buying MemoQ license, but I could probably wait for the new version of DVX if I knew if it will ever be released. About September last year I got a nice list of features that were to be implemented in the upcoming version(s). Now 8 months have passed and I'm not even sure if anything is being developed anymore, since the latest news on the website is 1 year old.


DVX needs no Autosuggest. It will not be developed in the new version because the current version already has it. The program learns on the fly and suggests the text you've already typed. This is much more helpful and reliable than all those Autosuggest dictionaries in Studio.

The only feature that I can think of that DVX really needs to improve on is what in Studio is called concordance search (and in DVX something like memory scan). Both do the same thing but concordance search in Studio is a robust feature, while memory scan in DVX is utterly unstable and not user friendly at all. For the rest DVX clearly beats Studio; in user friendliness, in price, you name it.

memoQ is great tool too, slightly more "pricey" though on the side of support (DVX support is included in the price of the licence).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite right May 22, 2016

It's not exactly true. What I was referring to was Autosuggest for regular expressions (regex), where you can define the tool to suggest proper names, numbers and many other useful features from the source text (you can, for example teach it to replace dots for commas in decimal numbers).
Somebody asked me about that in MemoQ forum and you can find my reply there with examples.

http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/302263-whats_new_in_memoq_2016.html

As for Studio 2015, it also learns on the fly, and I can assure you that currently it suggests many more useful words/expressions than DVX, because its Autosuggest utilizes chunks from machine translation, translation memories, termbases, concordance, Regex definitions (proper names and numbers!) and yes static autosuggest dictionaries (that are not updated on the fly).

But I haven't mentioned this to say which tool is better, I would immensely enjoy using both of them, but it would be good to at least know whether DVX is still being developed.




[Edited at 2016-05-22 23:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-23 09:20 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:12
English to Finnish
+ ...
Studio 2019? May 23, 2016

I am not interested in a new model every year. After all, I drive a 2000 Mitsubishi. A well known engineering principle goes: "if it's not broken, don't fix it".

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
old vs new car May 24, 2016

finnword1 wrote:

I am not interested in a new model every year. After all, I drive a 2000 Mitsubishi. A well known engineering principle goes: "if it's not broken, don't fix it".


Ha ha, that is a nice description of DVX: "a 2000 Mitsubishi"

The problem is, after you have driven a 2016 Mitsubishi, and you then try the 2000 model, you will probably feel like you are missing something. I keep trying DVX because some people really like it, but every time I do, there are just too many things that it can't do.

For example, a CAT tool in 2016 really ought to be able to handle synonyms! And it should at least offer term match highlighting in the source box as an optional feature!

Michael


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... May 24, 2016

finnword1 wrote:

I am not interested in a new model every year. After all, I drive a 2000 Mitsubishi. A well known engineering principle goes: "if it's not broken, don't fix it".


Well, Deja Vu X3 is more than 2 years old now, and after all, nobody forces you to use the new version (if there is any in the future), do they?

Taking your analogy, does your love to a 2000 Mitsubishi mean that the car maker must stop developing new models, because you are satisfied with the old one?

There's also another saying: "There's always room for improvement" and, AFAIK with DVX3 there really is.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops May 24, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

finnword1 wrote:

I am not interested in a new model every year. After all, I drive a 2000 Mitsubishi. A well known engineering principle goes: "if it's not broken, don't fix it".


Ha ha, that is a nice description of DVX: "a 2000 Mitsubishi"

The problem is, after you have driven a 2016 Mitsubishi, and you then try the 2000 model, you will probably feel like you are missing something. I keep trying DVX because some people really like it, but every time I do, there are just too many things that it can't do.

For example, a CAT tool in 2016 really ought to be able to handle synonyms! And it should at least offer term match highlighting in the source box as an optional feature!

Michael


Gee, Michael, you're always faster with the reply


Direct link Reply with quote
 
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:12
English to Finnish
+ ...
new model May 25, 2016

It often happens that new cars are recalled for problems. I wish SDL would just recall the old models of Studio and fix them, rather than making us buy a new one.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 21:12
English to Norwegian
+ ...
News May 27, 2016

finnword1 wrote:

It often happens that new cars are recalled for problems. I wish SDL would just recall the old models of Studio and fix them, rather than making us buy a new one.


Atril needs to understand that for each day without news, the good impression of their abilities to imjprove their product suffers.

We could need some good news very soon, or prospective customers might run away.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:12
English to Finnish
+ ...
I am sure that SDL agrees ... May 27, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

There's also another saying: "There's always room for improvement"


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They definitely agree May 27, 2016

We might discuss policies of SDL, but the fact is that at least we know that something is going on with their product. There are discussion forums, the official ideas list, their people are present here and on other forums, always willing to help. At least you know that the company is existent and working.

I loved Deja Vu in its demo version, but I won't buy the license for software that presently has almost no advantage over other software. The ship has sailed, I'm afraid. Even one of its hallmarks - Deepminer - is now present in Studio 2015 (Autosuggest 2.0) and there are other interesting developments in the making (I'm talking about Lift, of course) to make our life easier, especially regarding subsegment matching.

Morevoer, some of the functions that translators have found to be useful in other CATs, are not there in DVX.

Once again, it's like with cars. I used to drive manual, but then moved to paddle shifters (like in F1) and now don't imagine reverting to the stick, because I've found the benefits of the paddles that the stick doesn't have.

The same goes with DVX - why would I want it, if it doesn't offer term highlight, proper names and numbers (converted on the fly) in Autowrite, while Studio has it and I've found that the function saves a lot of my time?


[Edited at 2016-05-27 14:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:12
English to Finnish
+ ...
no news is good news May 29, 2016

OK, where are these new features and improvements coming from? If they are deficiencies discovered by Studio users, one has to question the competence of SDL programmers. Besides, whatever happened to beta testing? On the other hand, if they are features that have been intentionally left out from this year’s model, in order to sell the next year’s version, that seems like odd marketing strategy. Why not put a little more effort and release a version that does not need to be replaced every year?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 21:12
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 30, 2016

finnword1 wrote:

OK, where are these new features and improvements coming from? If they are deficiencies discovered by Studio users, one has to question the competence of SDL programmers. Besides, whatever happened to beta testing? On the other hand, if they are features that have been intentionally left out from this year’s model, in order to sell the next year’s version, that seems like odd marketing strategy. Why not put a little more effort and release a version that does not need to be replaced every year?


Nobody forces you to upgrade to a new version. In each version you get some new features and if you feel like trying them, only then you upgrade.

I'm sorry, but we seem to differ on this. In your opinion it's better for a company to go into a "ghost" mode, where nobody even knows whether they're working on anything or even exist. This is CLEARLY reflected by Translators Group Buy, where DVX hardly sells.

And please don't tell me that DVX doesn't need any improvement, because it DOES and it already looks ageing, compared to MemoQ or Studio. Such lack of responsiveness is hardly a magnet to attract new customers, don't you think? And, I'm afraid, the new customers are what Atril needs the most right now.

As for Studio, again, they may release new versions every month, but does anybody put a gun to your head, telling you that you must buy it? I would understand your anger if simultaneously they stopped support for older versions, but AFAIK they still support even Studio 2009.
And the argument with the competence of SDL programmers is also quite weak, because no software is faultless - the difference being in how a software developer treats the bugs and responds to them and SDL is quite fast with some, slower with others, but they are active, at least.

One more word regarding your argument that quote: "On the other hand, if they are features that have been intentionally left out from this year’s model, in order to sell the next year’s version, that seems like odd marketing strategy" end of quote.
I've never written that SDL has intentionally left out any features. If you refer to "LIFT", then it's still under development and nobody knows when it's going to be released. Might be in the next Service Release as an update, might be in the next Studio (probably next year) with an option to upgrade.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 10:08 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any news on the upcoming version?

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search