Another wrong behaviour of DVX3
Thread poster: mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 01:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2016

Have created project with 60 xml from Visio.

DVX3 imports all files (about 3 hours). Project size achieved more than 2GB but DVX3 makes no warnings. As a result - a half of files in project are empty. Working with project is impossible due to 2GB restriction for 32bit apps (DVX3 crashes at typing translation to any segment).

But why DVX3 makes no warning or doesn't reject to import excessive files?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:46
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
what is your system? Aug 9, 2016

Additional information always helps such as your OS (Windows XP, 7, 8, 10). I am not sure but available space on hard disk can be a problem as well.

I used to have problems with memoQ mqxlz files when I was on XP with only 6-7 GB available space. Even a small file of a few KB was expanded to several GBs of temp files. But it never happened with XML files (I don't know about Visio XML files).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
mikhailo
Local time: 01:46
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Aug 10, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Additional information always helps such as your OS (Windows XP, 7, 8, 10). I am not sure but available space on hard disk can be a problem as well.

I used to have problems with memoQ mqxlz files when I was on XP with only 6-7 GB available space. Even a small file of a few KB was expanded to several GBs of temp files. But it never happened with XML files (I don't know about Visio XML files).



7/64-8GBRAM-1TB HDD almost empty

It's not a hardware problem. It's a known limitation of 32-bit app for data - without tricks they can't use datafiles more than 2 GB.
divided in 3 parts whole project is about 3,8 GB.

1. Proposed solution - use external sources for big projects.
2. Automatic dividing into several projects.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Atril_TEAM
France
Local time: 23:46
Member (2015)
2 GB Aug 11, 2016

The maximum size of project is, indeed, 2GB.
There is no programming around this, unfortunately.
You will have to create multiple projects for this one.
Try also to compact it.

Kind regards,
Atril Team


Direct link Reply with quote
 
mikhailo
Local time: 01:46
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Aug 12, 2016

Atril_TEAM wrote:

The maximum size of project is, indeed, 2GB.
There is no programming around this, unfortunately.
You will have to create multiple projects for this one.
Try also to compact it.

Kind regards,
Atril Team


Compact doesn't help.

If somebody want to work with all files in one project:
1. Create multiple project.
2. Export them as xliff
3. add xliff to 1-st or new project and work with it.


Features to be implemented:

Automatic segments joining that finished with ..... (p.e. abbrev.) (cause flies have different abbrev and it's difficult to determine all of them before project starting)


Direct link Reply with quote
 
mikhailo
Local time: 01:46
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Aug 13, 2016


Features to be implemented:

Automatic segments joining that finished with ..... (p.e. abbrev.) (cause flies have different abbrev and it's difficult to determine all of them before project starting)


Another one way to solve this problem:

Reimport source without deleting of translation:

Way to implement:
1. Import corrected file as a new file
2. Segment-by-segment comparing and inserting translation into new file. (When found differences with old version: 1. ask user; 2 try to join with next one or more segments; 3. leave untranslated)
3. Deleting old file (or leaving it if user wishes)
4. Compacting project

Some more ideas to implement into new builds/versions

In the same manner to implement following features:

Import of translation from proofed or externally edited original format or pdf.

these features save a lot of time, especially when working with existing translation in different formats, TMS, XLIFF, SEGMENTING.

With SDL packages a good idea to support SDL TM format. Often TMs contain a lot of useful but not used in SDL pretranslation info.


Another idea to allow segment joining in XLIFF in DVX project, so that in can be imported back to original app without problem:

1. Put all translation in first segment
2. Put placeable (for example unbreakable space or other unique and easy-to-find/replace symbols sequence, but ideally the special symbol/instruction, telling to original app to join automatically a segment to a previous one)


TO ALL
What about to create the features-to-implement list with a voting, so ATRIL can see, what users really want?


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another wrong behaviour of DVX3

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search