Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:30
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2005

Hi all,

Yesterday my computer experienced a complete crash. As it usually happens, I'm supposed to deliver a translation today, in DVX. Since my last backup was made before installation of DVX, I don't have any files left,only DVX project sent to me by the client. I can't install DVX on my spare computer before my PM sends me download site address and code and, due to time zone difference, she'll only answer in some 3hours, when I already have to deliver the job.

My question is this - is it somehow possible to extract the text from DVX project (maybe someone can help with that part), translate it in some MS Office application and send it to the client in a way where it is more or less easy to import that into DVX memory?

Right now I have no other options left- the original file is in DVX only, which I can't open unless I have the program. Can somebody please help?

Big thanks in advance.

Austra Muizniece

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:30
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
2-column export Oct 7, 2005

Hi Austra,
If you need to extract the Text from the project, use the 2-column export. That's File->Export->External View. Make sure to check "Include Row ID". This will give you a table Source and Target columns. Once you've translated the table, it can be imported into the DVX project, and you're all set.

Klaus

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Won't work... Oct 7, 2005

The problem is, DVX is on my crashed computer, this one doesn't have the program and I can't get it for another 3hours, but then it already has to be finished. I guess what I was really asking was if anyone can help with the extraction:(, so I can send rtf or doc file to my PM when she starts work. It is a new client and I'm not sure if I should ask for a deadline extension.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Hi Austra,
If you need to extract the Text from the project, use the 2-column export. That's File->Export->External View. Make sure to check "Include Row ID". This will give you a table Source and Target columns. Once you've translated the table, it can be imported into the DVX project, and you're all set.

Klaus

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:30
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You've got Mail :) Oct 7, 2005

[quote]austra muizniece wrote:
I guess what I was really asking was if anyone can help with the extraction.
[quote] Slow thinking on my sideicon_smile.gif

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much!!! Oct 7, 2005

What relief:)))!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting translation material from DVX

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search