https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/44736-now_for_a_question_creating_multilingual_glossaries.html

Now for a question: creating multilingual glossaries
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 20:54
French to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2006

I translate from three languages: Catalan, Spanish and French. I imported an Excel file into a terminology database, and selected Spanish as the main lemma, and Catalan and English as my translations.

My text was Catalan to English. I assumed that if EN_1 is a translation of ES_1, and CA_1 is a translation of ES_1, then the program would realise that EN_1 is also a translation of CA_1. But it does not come up with the translation. It only looks up terms where the lemma is that of th
... See more
I translate from three languages: Catalan, Spanish and French. I imported an Excel file into a terminology database, and selected Spanish as the main lemma, and Catalan and English as my translations.

My text was Catalan to English. I assumed that if EN_1 is a translation of ES_1, and CA_1 is a translation of ES_1, then the program would realise that EN_1 is also a translation of CA_1. But it does not come up with the translation. It only looks up terms where the lemma is that of the source text.

Obviously the short-term solution is to import Catalan as the main lemma, and English and Spanish as a translation, but if I then get a similar text in Spanish, I don't see why I should have to do another import, this time with Spanish as the main language.

One of the reasons I splashed out on DVX was the multilingual terminology management, but it looks like I have to import for each source language, and if I choose to do it in the same database I end up with repeated entries, with the lemma and translation the other way round.

Is there some kind of setting I've not found? Could it be something in Database->Properties?
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:54
German to English
+ ...
What languages are defined in the project? Apr 7, 2006

Hi Timothy,

Was the project in question defined as Catalan to English?
If you go to Project>Properties>Languages, what is given as the source language? DVX searches from the index for the source language (or should do). At least, I know that this works for reversing a single language pair. Can't check the multilingual capability, 'cos I only use one language pair.

Other possibilities:
- Losing the link to the database: sometimes DVX "forgets" what databases
... See more
Hi Timothy,

Was the project in question defined as Catalan to English?
If you go to Project>Properties>Languages, what is given as the source language? DVX searches from the index for the source language (or should do). At least, I know that this works for reversing a single language pair. Can't check the multilingual capability, 'cos I only use one language pair.

Other possibilities:
- Losing the link to the database: sometimes DVX "forgets" what databases it should be looking at. Solution: go to Project>Properties>Databases, make sure the appropriate boxes are ticked and confirm (sometimes this jogs DVX's memory even if the settings were right all along).
- Incomplete indexing: I know that the translation memory (MDB) has separate index files which should be almost as big as the main memory file. Not sure how the indexing is done for the terminology database. But it may be worth repairing the database (sorry, a copy of the database!) periodically.

Is there anything on your problem in the Atril knowledge base or at http://necco.ca/dv/ ?

[Edited at 2006-04-07 06:29]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Now for a question: creating multilingual glossaries

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »