International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Editing target language in TM
Thread poster: Alice Wolfe, DDS

Alice Wolfe, DDS  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2006

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to make global changes to the target language in the TM? I was given an excellent TM in text format (Trados originally) by a colleague to use on a project we're doing together. After I imported it into DVX, all the special (Danish) characters had been corrupted, and it's almost not worth it to use the TM i this state.

However, when I went into "Maintain TM" to try and fix it, I could find no way to do a Find and Replace for the target language.

Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Alice

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Wrong codepage? Aug 6, 2006

After opening the TM (*.dvmdb) you can use the Menu / Edit / Replace function (maybe after swapping source and target language),
but I think you might have selected a wrong codepage while importing the Trados TM - First I would try any codepages which look somewhat promising.

HTH

Harry

[Edited at 2006-08-06 18:32]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Try Olifant Aug 6, 2006

Hi Alice,

Why don't you try Olifant to fix this? It should work as it was designed to do just that. I recommend you use the original Trados TM as Olifant may not be compatible with the TM format of the software you are using.

Olifant is a TM-maintenance software, is free and REALLY easy to use. It has a search and replace function, but you can also just search and edit segments one by one, without closing the search dialog. To me, it looks like this is just what you need.

Here is the link: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/index.html

While you're at it, why not download all four programs? They are all free, compatible with most CAT tool formats and allow you to do just about anything to source files, target files and TMs.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

P.S.: You have to first import your TM. When that is done, I recommend you go to View and click on Show all fields, so you can see not only the TUs but also their creators, who changed them, what date they were created/changed, etc. You can use a filter to filter out any TUs you don't want to handle. Once you are done with the changes to the TM, you can export it to TMX format. Just remember that if the filter is on, Olifant will only export TUs that were not filtered out by the filter (i. e., those that do appear on-screen). Finally, it is always a good idea to backup any TM you are going to handle using Olifant, just in case.

[Edited at 2006-08-06 18:43]

United States
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant freezes Aug 6, 2006

Victoria, I downloaded Olifant - thanks for the link - and imported my TM into it successfully, but when I did a Search and Replace the program froze after a few replacements and I had to close it.
I tried a couple of times with different search parameters, but with the same result.

I think I'll contact the company tomorrow, because if it had worked, it would indeed have been exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I have to finish this project without the conversion of the TM.

Harry, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I am a pretty pedestrian DVX user, and don't even know what a codepage is.

Thanks again to you both.
Alice

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Did you try just searching? Aug 6, 2006

Maybe the TM is too large or has too many parameters...

Did you also try to simply search and edit the target TUs manually, by typing the corrected terms directly into the target field in Olifant? Maybe that way it will work.

In all honesty, I did not try the search and replace function. I only tried the search function, as I translate into French and, well, nouns have genders in French, and sometimes, just because I change a noun, many other words change in the target sentence as well, so search and replace is out of the question for me. Nonetheless, the way I used it worked without any trouble. Maybe if you try it that way, it will work. Of course, it will take a little more time, but it is still better than nothing...

I hope you will be able to sort this out in time - I know such situations are far from fun!

Good luck!

P.S.: Let us know how it all works out in the end.

In the meantime, I thought of possible reasons why Olifant failed. In my case, I just tried exactly what you were trying on a TM containing over 5000 TUs - no problem. I do have 1Gb RAM - if you have less than that and are running Olifant, Trados or DVX and Word at the same time, maybe the problem is simply related to the RAM. In that case, you may want to try restarting your system and then starting Olifant only, so it is the only program running. Maybe that will allow it to work. (There is an option when you import your TM that has Olifant replace invalid characters. Do NOT check it as it is only for XML files - it will not help your case and it may actually mess it all up.)

Worse comes to worst, if you want, I can help. Since there is no problem so far on my system, maybe I can do this for you. You can send me the Trados TM through www.yousendit.com and I can replace those invalid characters for you if you wish. All you would need to do is to make up a file where you type in the invalid character strings and specify what they should be replaced with - this would probably take you no more than 15 minutes. On my end, it would be a breeze and I am sure a couple of minutes would be all it would take.

Let me know if you like the idea.

[Edited at 2006-08-06 21:49]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
MS Word Aug 6, 2006

If I remember rightly, I once solved this problem with a Swedish TM by copying all the text to a new empty MS Word document (with the language set to Swedish), and then saving it as text.

I have also done it using the Trados Maintenance function by first filtering for the apparently corrupt special Swedish characters and searching for them, then using find and replace (source or target, as required).

Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Code Page Aug 6, 2006

Alice Wolfe, DDS wrote:
Harry, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I am a pretty pedestrian DVX user, and don't even know what a codepage is.

This could be the cause why you selected a wrong one.

When importing a Trados TM to DVX, you have to select one, even if you select it by ignoring, i.e. applying the default code page.

Example: my usual code page in DVX in Germany is called "Western European (Windows)".

The selection is done in the fourth window of the Translation Memory Import Wizard. It is the window where I have to specify that EN-US means English (United States) and DE-DE means German.

Maybe the author of your Trados TM could tell you which code page he uses. Otherwise, you would have to guess.

Good speed,

Harry

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 17:36
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
you can use the replace function Aug 7, 2006

Hi Alice,

You can use the find and replace function in the TM. First switch the language pair, if required (e.g. if the TM is English to Danish, you can easily change the source and target languages). Then press Ctrl+H (replace) and you can easily replace the corrupted characters. This is similar to the MS Word's replace feature, so don't forget to mark match case box.

You can use the replace all command, but I would recommend you to replace one each time.

HTH
Selcuk Akyuz

United States
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Switching source and target Aug 7, 2006

I am sorry to be such a bother, but I have tried to find how to switch source and target in a TM, but with no luck. I searched in the manual, but couldn't find anything there either. I feel like a total nincompoop, but could you tell me how to do this?

Thanks to all of you so far for trying to help me out.

Alice

Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Changing source language and target language Aug 7, 2006

After opening the TM (a file with the extension .dvmdb)
you will find 2 dropdown-lists on top of the window:
Source Language and Target Language.

There you simply select the other one.

HTH

Harry

United States
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing source and target Aug 7, 2006

It worked like a charm. I can't believe I couldn't figure that one out by myself, but all is well that ends well.

Thank you so much to Harry, Selcuk, Peter and Victoria for taking the time to help me!

Alice

Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Yesterday's Dilbert Aug 7, 2006

United States
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dilbert Aug 7, 2006

I love it!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:36
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I'd go all the way back to original TM text file Oct 4, 2006

- maybe even to the mail it was sent with - and check, if by any chance the TM was sent in UTF-8 form. Costs a minute of your time only and maybe - maybe ..- - spares you the drag of the stupid hunt for wrong characters.

Klas Törnquist
Local time: 16:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
Trados 7 is causing this Nov 9, 2006

Alice Wolfe, DDS wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to make global changes to the target language in the TM? I was given an excellent TM in text format (Trados originally) by a colleague to use on a project we're doing together. After I imported it into DVX, all the special (Danish) characters had been corrupted, and it's almost not worth it to use the TM i this state.

However, when I went into "Maintain TM" to try and fix it, I could find no way to do a Find and Replace for the target language.

Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Alice

A bit late into this thread.

This problem occurs when the TM is in Trados 7 txt format. It's possible to export from Trados 7 to an older txt format.

Klas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing target language in TM

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search