https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/58788-project_management_dvx_workgroup_vs_professional.html

Project Management: DVX Workgroup vs Professional
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 1, 2006

It seems I will be doing my first ever project management job in a few weeks' time: 190,000 words into 10 languages.

The client requires DVX Workgroup, but I only have Professional. Now, a new Workgroup licence would cost EUR 2250 (and it is not available as a free 30-day trial version). This is basically not an option as I would need this software probably only for this project, so it would not be a worthwhile investment.

Now the question is: how can I do the job in Pr
... See more
It seems I will be doing my first ever project management job in a few weeks' time: 190,000 words into 10 languages.

The client requires DVX Workgroup, but I only have Professional. Now, a new Workgroup licence would cost EUR 2250 (and it is not available as a free 30-day trial version). This is basically not an option as I would need this software probably only for this project, so it would not be a worthwhile investment.

Now the question is: how can I do the job in Professional? I will have to import translated files in each language, check for inconsistencies, check for tags (codes), etc, then update the TM and export the final files.

Anyone had any similar experience?

Thank you for any useful ideas,
Csaba
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
What workflow? Nov 1, 2006

What workflow do you have in mind, Csaba? What proportion of your translators owns at least DVX Standard? How do those who don't own DVX look upon working in DVX Editor (on Satellite files created in DVX Workgroup)? Is this OK with them or would they prefer their customary editing environment? In a project this size, I suppose preferences do matter. Is there already a TM that translators are expected to use?

If all translators have DVX Standard or above, you don't absolutely need DV
... See more
What workflow do you have in mind, Csaba? What proportion of your translators owns at least DVX Standard? How do those who don't own DVX look upon working in DVX Editor (on Satellite files created in DVX Workgroup)? Is this OK with them or would they prefer their customary editing environment? In a project this size, I suppose preferences do matter. Is there already a TM that translators are expected to use?

If all translators have DVX Standard or above, you don't absolutely need DVX Workgroup; similarly if those who don't own it would prefer an environment different from DVX Editor (and if you decide to go along with their preference).

Only if it is imperative to issue Satellite files to be processed in DVX Editor would the purchase of DVX Workgroup seem unavoidable. Otherwise you can get along juggling with external views and/or some intermediate format like Trados Workbench or Tag Editor. This of course involves a lot more work (exporting and importing) and headaches (dealing with Trados) though, so you may be better off investing in Workgroup after all.

Endre
Collapse

Michael Hesselnberg (X)
Michael Hesselnberg (X)  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
I think Nov 2, 2006

that you have to pay only the upgrade from the professional version to the Workgroup and not the whole price.

Ask Atril about it!

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
DVX Workgroup Nov 2, 2006

If you are working with such a project, it will be cheaper to upgrade from DVX Professional to DVX Workgroup. You can contact Atril and ask for it.

You can also ask for a 30-day trial period code for DVX Workgroup to test it before buying the upgrade.

Andras Szivak
Andras Szivak
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Small investment, colossal profit - and you are vacillating? Nov 3, 2006

Taking into account the huge wordcount and 10 languages, 2250 EUR seems to be a tiny investment.

Csaba Ban wrote:
I would need this software probably only for this project, so it would not be a worthwhile investment.

Are you sure? Maybe tomorrow you will receive a two times bigger project to be translated in this software.

For me this question could not be arisen at all. You will get your money back.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your thoughts Nov 3, 2006

I sent enquiries to Atril about an upgrade pricing from Professional to Workgroup, but I am still awaiting their response.

Well, it's certainly not a "small" investment, as a full licence of DVX Workgroup costs EUR 2250. Professional costs EUR 990, so I imagine an upgrade should cost around EUR 1300.

Quite easily I might end up buying it, especially as that this client already indicated they have another similar project in mind.

And now, a bit of personal
... See more
I sent enquiries to Atril about an upgrade pricing from Professional to Workgroup, but I am still awaiting their response.

Well, it's certainly not a "small" investment, as a full licence of DVX Workgroup costs EUR 2250. Professional costs EUR 990, so I imagine an upgrade should cost around EUR 1300.

Quite easily I might end up buying it, especially as that this client already indicated they have another similar project in mind.

And now, a bit of personal CAT tool purchasing history. It was this very same came client that offered me the first large job (55,000 words) after I joined proz.com 6 years ago. Then I started using CAT tools, Deja Vu in particular, which I started to use as a trial version, but eventually I purchased it from the proceeds of this large job. And THAT was certainly my best investment as a freelance translator.

Now another decision I have to make whether or not it's time now to buy a new notebook and sell my old one. This one is still going strong, but it's 2,5 years old, so it gradually looses its technical edge. And being the geek that I am, I need to have the latest top-notch technology.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Management: DVX Workgroup vs Professional

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »