Proofreading by Deja Vu
Thread poster: Carol Chen
Carol Chen
Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:54
English to Chinese
Aug 29, 2007

I got a couple of documents in Word format which has been translated from English to Chinese, in their clean version for proofreading. Usually, I did it directly on Word with track change.This time, I want to do it by Deja Vu.Thus, during proofreading, I could make TM & Termbase as well for this project for use in future. Could somebody give suggestions?

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
With track change Aug 29, 2007

Could I keep track change as well by using Deja Vu?

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
French to English
+ ...
Use uncleaned files or align Aug 29, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:

I got a couple of documents in Word format which has been translated from English to Chinese, in their clean version for proofreading. Usually, I did it directly on Word with track change.This time, I want to do it by Deja Vu.Thus, during proofreading, I could make TM & Termbase as well for this project for use in future. Could somebody give suggestions?

It would probably be easier if you had the translated file in Trados uncleaned (bilingual) format. You could then just import this file directly into a project using the TWB filter and then proofread in the translation grid.

If you just have the cleaned files, I guess you would have to align them first using the built-in aligner (which also allows you to add terms to the termbase on the fly), export the result to a TM, import the source file into a project and then pretranslate against the TM created from the alignment to regenerate the target rows. You could also generate a lexicon of the main terms and send them to a termbase.

HTH,
David

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Great thanks! Aug 29, 2007

Great thanks for your quick answer!It really helps a lot!
I'll have a try first. If any further questions arise, I'll post them.Hope you could kindly give help!

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
modification remarks Aug 29, 2007

During proofreading, could I make modification remarks?

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Comments Aug 29, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:

Since you are working on Word documents, you can enter comments (Ctrl-M) in DVX and export the comments into the word file.

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Track change in Word Aug 29, 2007

Dear Klaus, Thanks for your reply and help!By following your advice, I could see comments in Word now. Furtherly, could I keep the track change as it is done in Word? That is to say, I have to submit the proofreaded Word file with track change to the client. And now, I do it in Deja Vu. If it could not, I'll have to proofread it on Word again.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Carol Chen wrote:

Since you are working on Word documents, you can enter comments (Ctrl-M) in DVX and export the comments into the word file.

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Not much of a difference Aug 29, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:
I could see comments in Word now. Furtherly, could I keep the track change as it is done in Word?
Hi Carol, I don't think track changes will work on this. However, the effect is pretty much the same, as you'll have seen. Maybe you could send the client a sample and see if this works for him?

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion. Aug 29, 2007

Hi Klaus, Thanks!Actually, my previous requirement seems a bit unreasonable.I tried to import Word with track change into Deja Vu and see no track change is recorded.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Carol Chen wrote:
I could see comments in Word now. Furtherly, could I keep the track change as it is done in Word?
Hi Carol, I don't think track changes will work on this. However, the effect is pretty much the same, as you'll have seen. Maybe you could send the client a sample and see if this works for him?

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Impossible import with track change Aug 29, 2007

So I think it is impossible to export Word with track change. Thanks for your confirmation and suggestion!

Carol Chen wrote:

Hi Klaus, Thanks!Actually, my previous requirement seems a bit unreasonable.I tried to import Word with track change into Deja Vu and see no track change is recorded.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Carol Chen wrote:

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Use compare documents Aug 29, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:
So I think it is impossible to export Word with track change. Thanks for your confirmation and suggestion!

Why don't you just use Word's compare documents function when you've finished proofreading, i.e. compare the exported proofed file against the old target file?
It's best to check the Legal format box in the Compare document window. The Show formatting option is a disaster!
Cheers,
David

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Legal format box Aug 29, 2007

Hi David,
I'm not quite clear about the "Legal format box" you referred above.Could you kindly give more details?
Great thanks in advance!

David Turner wrote:

Carol Chen wrote:

Why don't you just use Word's compare documents function when you've finished proofreading, i.e. compare the exported proofed file against the old target file?
It's best to check the Legal format box in the Compare document window. The Show formatting option is a disaster!
Cheers,
David

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another option Aug 30, 2007

Hi Carol,

Why don't you first proofread in Word, either with track changes or using the compare documents feature, and then align the documents and import to Deja Vu for future use.

Selcuk

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
More reasonable Aug 30, 2007

Initially,I want to try proofreading function of Deja Vu as I haven't used it before.However, now I find your suggestion is much more reasonable. Sincere thanks!

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Carol,

Why don't you first proofread in Word, either with track changes or using the compare documents feature, and then align the documents and import to Deja Vu for future use.

Selcuk

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Legal Blackline Aug 31, 2007

Carol Chen wrote:
Hi David,
I'm not quite clear about the "Legal format box" you referred above.Could you kindly give more details?
[/quote]

Hi Carol,

Sorry, it's actually called "Legal Blackline". See http://businesswebsitelinks.com/business_website_links/read_more_tips/word/word_1.htm
BR,
David

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading by Deja Vu

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »