How to delete existing TM?
Thread poster: Carol Chen

Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:00
English to Chinese
Aug 31, 2007

During translation of a Word file, two pairs of TM were generated as I send the project to TM twice. First time, after translation, and second time, after proofreading. The two pairs of TM are slightly different from each other. Of course, I would like to the use the one after proofreading.Now I want to delete the old one once. Could anyone give advice on it? Great thanks in advance!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:00
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How to get TM out of your way - for TRADOS users! Aug 31, 2007

I would not delete it, I would dump it into some archive.

Let's say the name is TM number 1. You may have several files with this name, for instance:

TM number 1.tmw
TM number 1.iix
TM number 1.mdf
TM number 1.mtf
TM number 1.mwf

Delete them all - i.e. delete (or copy away, as suggested above) TM number 1.*. Strictly speaking it is TMW file, that needs to be destroyed only, but you do not need any orphan files around.

If you dont know, where these files are, use TWB to find the name of the subdirectory they reside in.

PS: Oops - its DejaVu, not Trados

[Edited at 2007-08-31 07:02]

Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
resend project to TM Aug 31, 2007

resend the entire project inot the TM using the option "delete all previously send pairs" (Last option in hte "send dialog")

kind regards
Judy Ann
BTW Which version are you using

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Picking up Vito's points ... Aug 31, 2007

... but applying them to DVX:

If I understand you correctly, you now have two different TMs with different file names. If that is true, I would second his idea to put them in a different directory (i.e. an archive), just in case things go wrong. If you are short of hard disk space, you could then wait a couple of weeks (to check that everything is OK), and delete the files then.

Your TM consists of at least 4 files:

xxx.dvmdb (the main database)
xxx.dvmdx (a relatively small file; not sure what it does, but it's part of the show)
xxx.aa.dvmdi (index file for language aa)
xxx.bb.dvmdi (index file for language bb)

with perhaps more index files if you have other languages.
If you also have files ending with "ldb", this means that the TM is open. You will have to close it before you do anything else.

If you have also got a second version of this TM, the equivalent of "xxx" will be different for the files associated with this TM:
xxx2.dvmdb
xxx2.dvmdx (etc.).

When you have found which files are your old and unwanted copy, simply mark them and drag them to your archive directory.

If you simply have wrong entries from the project within just one TM, then Judy Ann's suggestion is the way to go.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 08:52]

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
This option is grey Aug 31, 2007

Dear Judy,

I tried it.Something strange occured. In the send dialog, when I choose "all files", the option "delete all previously send pairs" could be used. Then I ticked it and clicked "OK". However, the previous TM was not deleted. Then, I tried to choose "current files",however, the option "delete all previously send pairs" is grey this time. I can't use it.
BTW,my version is Workgroup 7.5.297.
FYI.Thanks in advance!

Judy Schoen wrote:

resend the entire project inot the TM using the option "delete all previously send pairs" (Last option in hte "send dialog")

kind regards
Judy Ann
BTW Which version are you using

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
How to find so many files Aug 31, 2007

Dear Vito Smolej,

Thanks for your reply! Sorry that as I'm get starting with Deja Vu, based on your suggestion, I still can't find so many files with these extensions. Currently, I could only see one TM file with extension .dvmdb.Could you kindly provide more details?Thanks in advance!

Vito Smolej wrote:

I would not delete it, I would dump it into some archive.

Let's say the name is TM number 1. You may have several files with this name, for instance:

TM number 1.tmw
TM number 1.iix
TM number 1.mdf
TM number 1.mtf
TM number 1.mwf

Delete them all - i.e. delete (or copy away, as suggested above) TM number 1.*. Strictly speaking it is TMW file, that needs to be destroyed only, but you do not need any orphan files around.

If you dont know, where these files are, use TWB to find the name of the subdirectory they reside in.

PS: Oops - its DejaVu, not Trados

[Edited at 2007-08-31 07:02]

China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
It clarifies. Aug 31, 2007

Dear Victor,

Really thanks for your details. It helps in my understanding.
Actually, Judy Ann's suggestion fits my case.

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

... but applying them to DVX:

If I understand you correctly, you now have two different TMs with different file names. If that is true, I would second his idea to put them in a different directory (i.e. an archive), just in case things go wrong. If you are short of hard disk space, you could then wait a couple of weeks (to check that everything is OK), and delete the files then.

Your TM consists of at least 4 files:

xxx.dvmdb (the main database)
xxx.dvmdx (a relatively small file; not sure what it does, but it's part of the show)
xxx.aa.dvmdi (index file for language aa)
xxx.bb.dvmdi (index file for language bb)

with perhaps more index files if you have other languages.
If you also have files ending with "ldb", this means that the TM is open. You will have to close it before you do anything else.

If you have also got a second version of this TM, the equivalent of "xxx" will be different for the files associated with this TM:
xxx2.dvmdb
xxx2.dvmdx (etc.).

When you have found which files are your old and unwanted copy, simply mark them and drag them to your archive directory.

If you simply have wrong entries from the project within just one TM, then Judy Ann's suggestion is the way to go.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 08:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to delete existing TM?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search