Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
Dec 25, 2007

I've written a short set of instructions on using DVX as a proofreading tool for uncleaned Trados files. It is available at:

http://lossner.net/translation/DVX_for_Editing_Trados_Jobs.pdf

or off the "How To" tab on my profile. Any suggestions for improvement are very welcome; the document was put together rather in a hurry to assist an agency client
... See more
I've written a short set of instructions on using DVX as a proofreading tool for uncleaned Trados files. It is available at:

http://lossner.net/translation/DVX_for_Editing_Trados_Jobs.pdf

or off the "How To" tab on my profile. Any suggestions for improvement are very welcome; the document was put together rather in a hurry to assist an agency client who is evaluating DVX as a tool for improving quality assurance workflows for translations done using SDL Trados.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:02
English to German
+ ...
Quick Review Dec 25, 2007

Concerning the Limitations:
I have my doubts about them, but I will assume that I ignored them so far.

And I am missing the description of the Export to External View functionality, which allows editors without DVX to edit the translation (and possible comments) in a 4 or 5 columns Word table, often referred to as 2-columns-table

(5 columns: ID, Source, Target, Comment, File name)

P.S.:
... See more
Concerning the Limitations:
I have my doubts about them, but I will assume that I ignored them so far.

And I am missing the description of the Export to External View functionality, which allows editors without DVX to edit the translation (and possible comments) in a 4 or 5 columns Word table, often referred to as 2-columns-table

P.S.: I forgot to mention the old/new compare feature when re-importing an External View. It is much clearer than the Track Changes feature of Word, not to mention the horrible Track Changes of Excel..

[Edited at 2007-12-26 01:05]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export to external view Dec 25, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:
... I am missing the description of the Export to External View functionality, which allows editors without DVX to edit the translation (and possible comments) in a 4 or 5 columns Word table, often referred to as 2-columns-table

Good point, though with the Pro version this is often tricky. However, this client is evaluating the Workgroup version, so this would be a relevant thing to add. Thank you.

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:02
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Selective export Dec 26, 2007

Another unique selling point (which may or may not be useful for your client) is the option to select what goes into the export. When we're pressed for time, we usually export the completed part of the translation and use a copy of the dvx project for the export. Segments will be locked after export, so export of these segments can be suppressed for subsequent exports.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again for the suggestion! Jan 4, 2008

Harry Bornemann wrote:
... I am missing the description of the Export to External View functionality, which allows editors without DVX to edit the translation (and possible comments) in a 4 or 5 columns Word table, often referred to as 2-columns-table ....

Just discovered I can't edit a message after 24 hours. Hm.

Anyway, I sort of took your advice and wrote a separate general description of editing with external views and provided that to the client along with the hint that this could be done with the Trados imports as well. The reason for the separate file is that I had to explain external views to another client anyway for whom the editing of Trados uncleaned files was irrelevant.

The new description is available at:

http://simmer-lossner.com/lib/presentations/External_Proofreading_for_DVX.pdf

I'm testing the Workgroup version at the moment trying to decide whether/when to upgrade any number of our Pro licenses, and I must say I've been very pleased with the extra functionality of the external views, including the Trados RTF export. This may be the "killer app" that gets a few of my clients to accept the Trados RTF export as TM fodder and let us do the whole job in DVX without presegmenting. (Yes, yes, I know the segmentation rules differ, but that isn't as significant as some make out for the documents I work with.) This would solve the issue of numbers and dates being skipped in pre-segmented files and the need to deal with them manually later. Big hooray for that one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading Trados jobs with DVX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »